.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > The Honorably Discharged > Dungeon Odyssey

Old October 16th, 2003, 08:24 PM

Sergeant

Malfador Machinations is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Xerathul\'s revenge (module discussion thread)

Nice module! Having funning hunting the undead. Love the new graphics, keep up the great work!

Aaron
Web - http://www.malfador.com
Email - info@malfador.com
Old October 16th, 2003, 08:59 PM

General

David E. Gervais is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Malfador Machinations:
Nice module! Having funning hunting the undead. Love the new graphics, keep up the great work!

Aaron
"Having funning hunting" hmmm, High praise indeed, so high that grammar and dictionaries have been tossed aside in the excitement.

Cheers!
Old October 17th, 2003, 01:16 AM

General

Iiiiiiiii Like it. Very nice town map, I like what you have done with the tree gorups to add variety. I also see you have created many new decorations. Great job. I like the tree-stumps (now where is the evil lumberjack that is stealing all the trees?)

Note: instead of adding 'monsters' to the town map, how about adding some cows and horses that could drop some stuff if killed. (The player wouldn't gain any XP but could sell the stuff to get better equipment.) This is a trick I use in the Original DO modules.

I'm heading into the Wolf den now, wish me luck...
Old October 17th, 2003, 01:42 AM

General

Hooowieeeee, the Wolf den is sweet. Very nice cave feeling to it, nicely done.

I died several times but managed to kill all but the big bad wolf, I'll need to get better equipment before going back to try and kill him.

Gonna go sell my loot and see if I can get a better weapon than my mangled mace.

I'll be back with more comments.

Cheers!
Old October 17th, 2003, 08:45 AM

Sergeant

henk brouwer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Malfador Machinations:

Aaron

Wow, Thanks! (and thanks for creating the game! )

I hope that this module will inspire others to release new modules. DO is a fun game, one of its strongest points is that it can be easily modded. Can't wait to see some more mods (I know there are at least a few projects)

Christmas module v1.05 (attached to first post)

Xerathul's Revenge v0.5
Old October 18th, 2003, 12:50 AM

Brigadier General

Rollo is on a distinguished road

well, what can I say?
This extremely well done . I liked the graphics, the story, the dialogue.
The tower was very cool. Inching my way forward from torch to torch...
The ending was a bit abrupt, but I hope there is more to come .

one problem is with the text windows that pop up after a quest is done, because DO doesn't pause the game .

good suggestion for the coffins. it would be fun if at least some of them could be opened like chests. easy enough to do.

for the town area: perhaps some rabbits or deer would be nice to have to kill for food. Btw, I really liked the idea of adding talk topics to all the town 'monsters' (even chickens), so they can't be slain.

Keep up the great work.
Rollo
Dungeon Odyssey:
Hack and Slash
Version 0.53e
Old October 18th, 2003, 10:13 PM

Corporal

DarkStar is on a distinguished road

Still going at it. Playing as a Priest is pretty hard.

One of my main problems is that the weapon store never seems to have any scepters in stock. Not sure if this is random but I haven't seen even one and my character is level 8.

The other thing is that I'm not sure that some of my my spells that are now skills are working.

For example Enchant Fire or whatever that spell was that adds fire damage to weapon attacks. I'm not seeing that happen, it seems like I'm just getting the normal damage from the scepter, without the extra fire damage. The spell is listed as always on, so not sure what the problem is there, if any.

You might want to look into these 2 things if you have time. If you end up doing another Version (hope you do) maybe look into the balance of the game for character that are not fighting guys.

Other then that I haven't found anything new as far as bugs or ideas to expand the game.

Do you have plans to expand on your mod? If so what types of things were you thinking on adding?

Once again, great job!

[ October 18, 2003, 21:15: Message edited by: DarkStar ]
Old October 20th, 2003, 09:33 AM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally posted by Rollo:

one problem is with the text windows that pop up after a quest is done, because DO doesn't pause the game .
Yes, I ran into that bug as well, in fact I had just finished the game, was reading the victory message, and then got killed a few seconds later . I haven't had a chance to test while pressing spacebar in this window will pause the game, I hope it does, since I rather like the text windows.
Quote:
Originally posted by Rollo:

good suggestion for the coffins. it would be fun if at least some of them could be opened like chests. easy enough to do.

for the town area: perhaps some rabbits or deer would be nice to have to kill for food. Btw, I really liked the idea of adding talk topics to all the town 'monsters' (even chickens), so they can't be slain.

Keep up the great work.
Rollo
Yes, it would be kind of odd if you could slaughter Mirjelle's sheep after you rescued them from the wolves . Good suggestion about the food.

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkstar:

One of my main problems is that the weapon store never seems to have any scepters in stock. Not sure if this is random but I haven't seen even one and my character is level 8.
Hmmn, I'm not sure about what I did with the scepters, I copied most of the store content from the crown of the magis module, but I changed some things.. Have you tried the magic store?

Quote:

For example Enchant Fire or whatever that spell was that adds fire damage to weapon attacks. I'm not seeing that happen, it seems like I'm just getting the normal damage from the scepter, without the extra fire damage. The spell is listed as always on, so not sure what the problem is there, if any.
Hmm weird.. I haven't tested all the spells for the new mod, but I'm sure that at least barkskin and a few others I tested worked, and I made the assumption that it would work for all spells.., but a character I played this weekend seemed to have some problems with the rage spell, so probably the spellsystem is broken . I'll look whether there is an easy way to fix it, but I'm afraid there isn't..

Quote:

Do you have plans to expand on your mod? If so what types of things were you thinking on adding?
I do have plans, the module has a quite dissapointing ending right now, as Rollo already found out . I'm planning to add more levels to the dungeon, with perhaps some side-branches, for varieties sake, and add a proper ending.

Besides that I also want to make the dungeon a lot more random, with quests that may show up in one game, but not in the next, and with a number of different boss-creatures that the game could choose from. ( the guy with the key on the graveyard can be a completely different monster each game, etc) In other words, make the game fun to play for a second time, the randomness is a strong point of DO and should be exploited .

But all that is probably long term, reall life is going to eat a lot of time in the coming weeks.. There might be a bug-fix for the existing levels quite soon, I might even stick some new features into that one, like coffins that can be opened and such.

Thanks for the comments!

Henk

Xerathul's Revenge v0.5
Old October 20th, 2003, 02:20 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkStar:

One of my main problems is that the weapon store never seems to have any scepters in stock.
I just checked, they are for sale in Azrad's magic store ( the building you start right next to). I hope that makes the game a bit easier.
Quote:
Originally posted by DarkStar:

I just looked at it, I made a small change to classes.txt that made fire enchant available as a starting skill. It worked perfectly. ( I did get an animation for fire damage upon hitting the target, and the extra damage was applied). I'll run some more tests under different conditions.

Does anyone else have problems with spells under the new system?

Xerathul's Revenge v0.5
Old October 20th, 2003, 04:14 PM

Brigadier General

Rollo is on a distinguished road

Fire Enchant worked fine for my ranger.
Dungeon Odyssey:
Hack and Slash
Version 0.53e