.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old March 16th, 2009, 12:24 AM

General

Lingchih is on a distinguished road
Default Wow, and the games grind to a halt.

Just a post to notice how influential the Llamaserver is to us. When it goes down, most of the games go down.

Perhaps Illwinter should hire Llama as a permanent host

Thanks Lllama, hope everything goes well in the reboot.

I occasionally post something useful.
Old March 16th, 2009, 12:56 AM

First Lieutenant

Zapmeister is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wow, and the games grind to a halt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lingchih View Post
Probably more a role for Shrapnel than Illwinter, but as soon as you get commercial interests involved, you'll wind up paying for the service. The great and amazing thing about llamabeast is that we get to call on his time, energy and resources for free.

On the other hand, maybe a commercial model would have an upside. I'm thinking that a deposit made at game start would only be refunded if you do the right thing (i.e. do not simply start staling) when you leave the game.
Old March 16th, 2009, 05:30 AM

Captain

Quitti is on a distinguished road

Though, how many would be willing to pay for using such a service? And how much? I would pay a small fee for it, if it had users, but I know that many wouldn't.

I guess this is why llamaserver has that little "donate" button down there on the right side. You can pay Mr. Llama for his awesome work if you deem it worthy enough
The Following User Says Thank You to Quitti For This Useful Post:
Old March 16th, 2009, 05:49 AM

Major General

Jazzepi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapmeister View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lingchih View Post
Probably more a role for Shrapnel than Illwinter, but as soon as you get commercial interests involved, you'll wind up paying for the service. The great and amazing thing about llamabeast is that we get to call on his time, energy and resources for free.

On the other hand, maybe a commercial model would have an upside. I'm thinking that a deposit made at game start would only be refunded if you do the right thing (i.e. do not simply start staling) when you leave the game.
Please donate! Llamabeast has devoted endless hours towards the task of creating, and recently maintain, the server. Including putting together a new server just for us.

I know it /is/ free, but consider giving back. Llamaserver is by itself responsible for a recent renaissance in in Dom3. I know the server is down, but when it's up, just go and count the huge amount of games being hosted on it. Maybe some of you don't remember what it was like ~before~ Llamaserver, but we didn't have nearly as many games starting, and nobody used the national mods because it was so difficult to get them working together.

http://pledgie.com/campaigns/1716

Jazzepi (I AM NOT SECRETLY LLAMABEAST!)
Old March 16th, 2009, 11:42 AM

Sergeant

Incabulos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quitti View Post
Though, how many would be willing to pay for using such a service? And how much? I would pay a small fee for it, if it had users, but I know that many wouldn't.

I guess this is why llamaserver has that little "donate" button down there on the right side. You can pay Mr. Llama for his awesome work if you deem it worthy enough

I hadn't noticed , and since he doesn't vocally ask for donation support I hadn't really thought about it. Now that you have brought it to my attention I will be hitting the donate button when I get home. The service is an integral part of my enjoyment of the game so it deserves supporting.
Old March 16th, 2009, 01:50 PM

Lieutenant General

archaeolept is on a distinguished road

there are likely too many eggs in one basket, but I at least enjoy these occasional breaks
Old March 16th, 2009, 06:45 PM

First Lieutenant

Dragar is on a distinguished road

yeah, the enforced break is good sometimes, I didn't even turn my computer on last night, or this morningbefore work!
Old March 16th, 2009, 08:33 PM

Sergeant

Incabulos is on a distinguished road

I wonder what the dollar to pound exchange rate is on the pledgie site.
Old March 17th, 2009, 12:29 AM

General

Lingchih is on a distinguished road

I would suggest that Llama uses any future donations to putting a bigger hard drive on that server

I occasionally post something useful.
Old March 20th, 2009, 06:47 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Im not sure that a "bigger hard drive" would have avoided the problems. When Dom3 runs wild it can quickly exceed any hard drive, or cpu, or bandwidth, or whatever its breaking.

Also, you might reconsider having Llama's server become the official server. When Shrapnel was considering an official server there were some major items which disturbed both them and players which would be different BECAUSE it was an official Shrapnel provided server.

However I will also say that I heartily recommend that people who feel they have been supported consider supporting Llama back. That is how servers are best kept in business. I fully appreciate and try to earn the support that the Dom3 community provided me when the Dom3Minions.com server went down. (and by the way, "most of the games"?)

Gandalf Parker
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)