The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old October 2nd, 2017, 10:30 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Post Will China and Russia Make U.S. F-22 and F-35 Stealth Fighters Obsolete?

Will China and Russia Make U.S. F-22 and F-35 Stealth Fighters Obsolete?

Majumdar, Dave October 1, 2017

DARPA (Defence Adanced Research Projects Agency)—and companies like Raytheon and BAE Systems—are developing advanced new electronic warfare systems that would use artificial intelligence technology to automatically learn how to jam a previously unencountered signal. Currently, only dedicated electronic attack aircraft such as the Boeing EA-18G Growler can identify and jam an unknown threat emitter because it carries a trained electronic warfare officer onboard. Other tactical aircraft including the Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor and the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter rely on preprogrammed threat libraries—which must be periodically updated—to counter hostile radars.

Now, this technology may find a welcome host in amored vehicles. That is jamming incoming ATGMs so as to cause the projectile to loose target acquisition.

In the future, however, new “cognitive” jammers will be able to identify and jam a signal autonomously. “Jammers must be smart enough to counter threat advances by instantaneously recognizing signals –even if they morph on the fly– and immediately generate the waveforms to effectively jam them,” said Dan Theisen, Raytheon’s director of Airborne Electronic Attack at the company’s Space and Airborne Systems division, in a statement. “Systems must be able to learn and react during an engagement; true, cognitive EW.”

True cognitive EW is the future in the air, on land, and in the sea.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	an_f-35_lightning_ii_completes_a_flyover_of_uss_zumwalt_ddg_1000._29774535153_1.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	14929  
Old October 3rd, 2017, 09:42 AM

Sergeant

oragus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Will China and Russia Make U.S. F-22 and F-35 Stealth Fighters Obsolete?

Good old fashioned wire guided atgm systems can't be jammed.

As far as the F-22 and F-35 being obsolete, even IF they can be detected by radar, which is not a jammer, are still very effective weapon systems. The only way I can see Russia and/or China making those systems obsolete is developing a 6th generation system fighter and considering currently Russia has not began production of a 5th gen fighter and China's J20 is being considered a 4+ gen fighter when compared to the F-22 and F-35. Still going to be a while before those systems are obsolete. Heck, depending on the mission, the F-15, F-16, and A-10 are still not obsolete.

Good topic.
Old October 3rd, 2017, 12:52 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Will China and Russia Make U.S. F-22 and F-35 Stealth Fighters Obsolete?

Everything becomes obsolete ... eventually.

And as stated above, nothing at all wrong with and A-10 in a low threat environment. Part of the reason the brought back the OV-10 to deal with ISIS.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old November 10th, 2017, 01:42 AM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
Post Re: Will China and Russia Make U.S. F-22 and F-35 Stealth Fighters Obsolete?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragus View Post
Good old fashioned wire guided atgm systems can't be jammed.
And, this maybe true as the US Army has over the past two decades failed to fund "Fire and Forget" ATGMs; Although, Raytheon has a contract to produce "wireless" guided missiles, under the designations: BGM-71E TOW 2A, the BGM-71F TOW 2B, and the TOW 2B Aero.

Now, the question is whether wire guided systems are immune to jamming. Here, I am suggesting the emission of white light would cause the operator to loose target acquisition. The white light blinds the TOW operator, thus causing the missile to miss the target.

It is akin to "...a camera flash going off in your face in a dimly lit room? It leaves you unable to see at all for a brief period of time and then leaves you seeing spots for a few minutes. A laser directly in the eyes can cause retinal damage at the worst or leave you unable to see for a brief period of time." Target lost.

In 1987 a Soviet vessel, the Chukotka illuminated a U.S. Navy P-3 reconnaissance aircraft with an intense light causing eye damage to the pilot. Source.

In game terms, we do not have evidence of a vehicle deployed with a "white light" counter measure. If there existed such a measure, we could increase the EW rating of the vehicle to model the affect in the game.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	soviet-laser-on-ship-1987.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	15014  

Last edited by shahadi; November 10th, 2017 at 01:56 AM..
Old November 10th, 2017, 04:50 AM

Sergeant

The Maverick and Hellfire missiles are not fire and forget ATGMs?
Old November 10th, 2017, 12:11 PM

Captain

Post Re: Will China and Russia Make U.S. F-22 and F-35 Stealth Fighters Obsolete?

Quote:
The Maverick and Hellfire missiles are not fire and forget ATGMs?
Yes, indeed they are, although my discussion was meant really for the optically guided missiles.

Good catch, you are referring to the sentence where I began with, "And, this maybe true as the US Army has over the past two decades failed to fund "Fire and Forget" ATGMs..." Taken alone, by itself this statement belies the fact you brought out with the Maverick and the Hellfire air to ground missiles.

Old November 10th, 2017, 10:35 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

And the Javelin ATGM is what, precisely?
Old November 11th, 2017, 06:15 PM

Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
And the Javelin ATGM is what, precisely?
The Javelin is the primary infantry ATGM in use by the US Army and Marines. It is a lethal weapon, indeed. With regards to guidance systems, it is an imaging IR guided missile. As such, it too is susceptible to high illuminating white light when directed at the missile.

In general, the counter-measure is an attack on the missiles recticle-scan seekers to degrade the image processing homing system.

The Canadians have an interesting stduy from 2007, "Preliminary study of defensive aids suite technology for the armour combat vehicle programme."

Last edited by shahadi; November 11th, 2017 at 06:24 PM..
Old November 11th, 2017, 06:28 PM

Sergeant

How did this thread go from a plane obsolescence topic to ATGM systems?
Old November 11th, 2017, 06:45 PM

Captain

Quote:
How did this thread go from a plane obsolescence topic to ATGM systems?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahadi View Post

Now, this technology may find a welcome host in amored vehicles. That is jamming incoming ATGMs so as to cause the projectile to loose target acquisition.
In my intial post, I suggested cognitive jammers could be ported to tanks and that IR (heat or image) guided missiles can be defeated using high illuminated light and lasers.