Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old May 8th, 2015, 12:21 PM

Corporal

chris h is on a distinguished road
Default Finding artillery units

When in bombardment assignment how do you find the location of an artillery unit.
Old May 8th, 2015, 02:19 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Finding artillery units

An on-map one?

Probably exit the assignment screen and use the normal HQ screen, or simply scroll the map around. Not something I've ever had to do, really.
Old May 9th, 2015, 03:04 AM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
An on-map one?

Probably exit the assignment screen and use the normal HQ screen, or simply scroll the map around. Not something I've ever had to do, really.
Yes on map I should have said.

Not something I had to worry about often. I'm playing a large scenario and had allocated some 81mm Mtr to a hex. After they fired I tried to shift it's target hex but couldn't, it was to far.

At the time I first allocated the mtr I had a choice of two, one was much closer. I would have allocated the closer one if I known how far away the firing unit was.

Two options to overcome this. Provide a button that will locate the firing unit or provide some sort of hover or text info in the red strip about it's distance in hex.
Old May 9th, 2015, 05:57 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,423 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Explain to me why clicking on the 'info' button in the bombard menu to find out what the unit designation is then exiting the bombard menu a clicking on the HQ button then clicking on that unit in the HQ menu to locate that unit on the map is such an onerous chore that 'we' need to code a new button --- CLICK- CLICK- CLICK is all it takes to find out what you want to know..about 5 seconds

There's a fine line between 'convienience' and lazyness
Old May 9th, 2015, 06:33 AM

Also, the HE etc buttons are set to "invalid" if the target X,Y is out of range.

With mortars etc, I usually click on a few hexes past the intended impact zone to see if I'm on the edge of the units range and hence scatter may take the weapon out of bounds. If so, I can use a closer one. If i think its ok, then I plot on the intended target.

Although the game happily allows you to adjust the impact hex to out of bounds, some day I may look at that and try to fix it, the arty plotting being some of the nastiest tangled spaghetti in there.

In any case being able to adjust if it has gone out of bounds to put it back in is probably better than disallowing adjustment since it often results in a lesser break in firing. So on second thoughts - it stays as-is.
Old May 9th, 2015, 07:48 AM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Explain to me why clicking on the 'info' button in the bombard menu to find out what the unit designation is then exiting the bombard menu a clicking on the HQ button then clicking on that unit in the HQ menu to locate that unit on the map is such an onerous chore that 'we' need to code a new button --- CLICK- CLICK- CLICK is all it takes to find out what you want to know..about 5 seconds

There's a fine line between 'convienience' and lazyness
On a large scenario it is not that easy or I would not have asked the question.

First you do not need to open the info window to find the ID of the unit.

Second you can't use the HQ button to go to any unit, you need the Unit menu to do that.

Third, in the scenario I'm currently playing it takes anywhere between 15 -20 clicks depending upon the calling unit. I call that onerous.

One last thing, 'lazyness' is not spelt with a 'y'. Maybe it's a typing error but it could be laziness for not checking the spelling.
The Following User Says Thank You to chris h For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2015, 07:54 AM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
Also, the HE etc buttons are set to "invalid" if the target X,Y is out of range.

With mortars etc, I usually click on a few hexes past the intended impact zone to see if I'm on the edge of the units range and hence scatter may take the weapon out of bounds. If so, I can use a closer one. If i think its ok, then I plot on the intended target.

Although the game happily allows you to adjust the impact hex to out of bounds, some day I may look at that and try to fix it, the arty plotting being some of the nastiest tangled spaghetti in there.

In any case being able to adjust if it has gone out of bounds to put it back in is probably better than disallowing adjustment since it often results in a lesser break in firing. So on second thoughts - it stays as-is.
Just an idea about the button probably is difficult to program now. It might not be as difficult to add the range in the red info strip at the top though.
Old May 9th, 2015, 09:27 AM

[quote=chris h;829878]
Quote:
One last thing, 'lazyness' is not spelt with a 'y'. Maybe it's a typing error but it could be laziness for not checking the spelling.
Well, you should have seen Don's first attempts at typing the other week, just after the stroke hit.. So just be thankful he's still around to answer you rather than attempting to be a spelling expert, eh?.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2015, 12:04 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,423 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris h View Post
[
Second you can't use the HQ button to go to any unit, you need the Unit menu to do that.
you have a LOT more to learn about the game before you should even THINK about lecturing me on how you "think" it works

Click on any unit in the HQ menu (H) then click exit and that unit will be shown with a red hex around it indicating its location
Old May 9th, 2015, 06:20 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris h View Post
[
you have a LOT more to learn about the game before you should even THINK about lecturing me on how you "think" it works

Click on any unit in the HQ menu (H) then click exit and that unit will be shown with a red hex around it indicating its location
I think you need some manners. Yes you are correct about the HQ menu but please don't shout. Oh and I've been playing SP since it first came out all-be-it with a gap when I could not get it to run correctly in windows.