.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old March 30th, 2008, 09:06 AM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Looking for advice on site searching

I hadn't played water nations much until recently, except for some subbing, and I think I've been pretty inefficient in my site searching.

From Edit's DB it looks like sites are pretty sparse in the oceans. No blood of course, and:

In Sea: Code:

Path Highest level
---- -------------
B None
HF 1
DN 2
AWES 3

In Deep Sea: Code:

Path Highest level
---- -------------
BHA None
FDN 1 *
W 2
ES 3

* According to DB, should be "none", but is at least 1.

I really should have done this about 20 turns ago .

Edit: Took a look at my game, and I think there are more deep sea sites than the DB suggests. Update coming soon...
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
Old March 30th, 2008, 09:19 AM

General

The following sites data conflicts with games I'm in:

S456 Ancient Temple of the Deeps: H1, also exists in Deep Sea
S442 Kelp Forest: N0, also exists in Deep Sea
S443 Kelp Fortress: N1, also exists in Deep Sea

I'm not sure if there's any others.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
Old April 14th, 2008, 05:24 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

I'd missed these comments, vfb, so sorry for the long delay in reply: With regard to locmasks, I must rely on information provided by other parties. I can go over the data provided by EricM for patch 3.15 and check the locmasks, because they may have been changed for those sea sites. I only checked the ones in the shortlist and some others, so there may be some errors left over.

The DB is generally accurate, but it is NOT infallible.

Not yet anyway...
Old April 14th, 2008, 05:44 AM

General

Thanks! I didn't see any other sites besides these, that don't match the data in your DB.
Old September 14th, 2009, 03:25 PM

Private

Bastiat is on a distinguished road

Sorry for reviving an old thread from the Strategy Index, but I have the following question regarding site searching and Edi's incredibly valuable database:

The "Era" column says "applicable only for national sites". I'm assuming this means:

1. Anything without an Era tag can be spawned in any Era?

2. Sites with an Era tag can only spawn in Capitals, or is there some other meaning of "national sites"? I'm unsure of this because there seems to be far more "national sites" than "nations", but maybe each "nation" draws a random national site for its Capital.

Any insights? Thanks in advance.
Old September 14th, 2009, 03:32 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

Haven't looked at this in the database, but I assume the Era tag only applies to capital-only sites and is intended to distinguish between capital sites of the same names that have different cap-only units and/or produce different gems in different eras.

National sites do not appear randomly. Each nation gets one or more in it's capital.
Old September 14th, 2009, 10:29 PM

Private

Bastiat is on a distinguished road

One more question. Edi's 'SiteMasks' have fields like "any land but forest, swamp".

Let's say you are trying to figure out if some MagicSiteX can spawn in a province. The MagicSiteX is tagged with "any land but forest, swamp". If the province you are searching has Farm and Swamp site features.

Does that mean that MagicSiteX CANNOT spawn there because it violates the "but swamp" condition?

...or, CAN it spawn there because the province has Farm, which meets the "any land" condition?
Old May 1st, 2010, 02:11 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

GrudgeBringer is an unknown quantity at this point

I have read this and the older post from end to end. Maybe I am just still not understanding this game or perhaps I have missed a thread that explains it.

It seems when I am playing a nation like ARCO I seem to find a lot of , Earth, Astral and Air and some Nature. But rarely Death or Fire (even If I use the spells).

If I play a Fire or Death Nation, I tend to find more of those sites.

Does the creation of the map after nations are taken have any reference to the sites you find.

I would think not, but it sure SEEMS like it does.

Thanks
Old May 1st, 2010, 02:49 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Observer bias
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old May 1st, 2010, 06:56 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

It definitely does not. (Even if it did, unless it also took into account initial placement it would pretty much be a wash in any but the smallest games.)

Observer bias as rdonj said. You're also most likely searching more completely in the paths you're strongest in. It's really only fair to compare income in paths you've searched completely ... and subtract any capital income.

I've definitely had very bad luck with national path sites in some games. One MP as Man, I think I'd found maybe an extra 2 Air gem income, but had found Necromancers and was swimming in Death gems. MA Man as a death power, not where I was planning to go... Then I got stomped by Ermor.

In general, I think I tend to find more Nature and Death than others but it varies.