Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old September 4th, 2017, 04:12 PM

Corporal

PantherCub is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Crash when loading map in campaign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
What sort of editing did you do to these maps? E.g adding streams, map text or whatever. It would be helpful if we could narrow it down to something.
I used the map generator in game, setting the parameters to what I wanted. I then added a stream or two and added and removed some buildings and roads to make it more realistic. I remember that when I added a road it happened to go along a stream so that there was a bridge lengthwise following the stream as sometimes happens, so I had to delete the stream and road and then add the stream and road again. No map text editing or any fancy stuff.
Old September 4th, 2017, 04:14 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherCub View Post

I created the map in game, in the campaign, when using the edit map option. I had created it for a previous scenario and I wanted to use it for the next scenario.

I mentioned I had got the crash four times. Three times it was with this map and one time with another map created the same way. So it seems the problem is with the maps I create.
I created another one just as you described......"created the map in game, in the campaign, when using the edit map option".. I saved it and loaded it in a new campaign and it ran perfectly.

If you have run diskchecks and all is OK with your HD I would consider deleting your game and re-installing it. What OS are you using ??

Don
I am using Windows 7.
Old September 4th, 2017, 04:16 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
What sort of editing did you do to these maps? E.g adding streams, map text or whatever. It would be helpful if we could narrow it down to something.
Text would do it if a non English letter /infection was added but I don't see any text on his map

'Å', 'Ä', and 'Ö WOULD crash the map

but for certain that map is toxic....It freezes my game every time

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old September 4th, 2017, 04:19 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:

I am using Windows 7.
.......and do you have it installed in the default installer location on your HDD ?? i.e NOT inside Program files

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old September 4th, 2017, 04:23 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Quote:
I used the map generator in game, setting the parameters to what I wanted. I then added a stream or two and added and removed some buildings and roads to make it more realistic. I remember that when I added a road it happened to go along a stream so that there was a bridge lengthwise following the stream as sometimes happens, so I had to delete the stream and road and then add the stream and road again. No map text editing or any fancy stuff.
What you describe should work perfectly. Yours is only the second report of maps crashing the game and the other was an old map but the same thing happened.....and I have never had a problem with all the maps I've made and I like tinkering with maps and your stream deleting and adding a new stream and road is "normal" editing

Old September 4th, 2017, 04:42 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Quote:

I am using Windows 7.
.......and do you have it installed in the default installer location on your HDD ?? i.e NOT inside Program files
Yes, in the Shrapnel Games directory.

And I have run checkdisk, no errors found.
Old September 4th, 2017, 06:16 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Perhaps once we start work on the next release we may be able to run a debugging routine and see where the freeze is originating from but it's obviously an isolated issue or others would be telling us it happens to them as well

Old September 5th, 2017, 02:50 PM

Corporal

If it helps, the map attached to this post will crash the game in the same way.

What both these maps have in common is the way they were created.

In the campaign, I usually look at the map generated for a battle, and if I don't like it I either generate a new one with the map editor in the game and then edit that or just edit the original map until I am satisfied with it. I then play the battle, and that has worked fine every time.

Then I thought I should start to save these edited maps so that I could reuse them later in the campaign. And it is these saved maps that are causing the problem it seems.

So in short, what these maps have in common is that they were created by the game in campaigns and then edited by me, with the in game editor available when viewing the campaign maps.

I agree this is not a biggie, and it seems pretty specific to this case. I guess nobody else did exactly what I did, and I can certainly enjoy the game without saving maps in campaigns.

BTW your support is awesome! And I don't think I told you SPWW2 is one of my most played games ever! Thanks for keeping it alive!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Map328.zip (82.6 KB, 85 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to PantherCub For This Useful Post:
Old September 5th, 2017, 05:04 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Have you tried cuting & pasting the entire map to a new map using the advanced map editor to see if that fixes it?
Could try pasting to a slightly larger map also to see if that fixes it & then trim or not taking the first few hex rows.

Also adjust the way you do things slightly to see if that solves things.
Veiw adjust & save the map BEFORE buying reinforcments rather than after, I have had no issues doing this.