.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old February 27th, 2005, 08:26 PM

Major General

Saber Cherry is on a distinguished road
Default \"F\" is for \"Fast Forward\"

Sugoi!!! Shinjirarenai!!!

I was accidentally trying to scroll around the battlefield with my usal FPS controls, "ESDF" instead of the arrow keys... and wow! "F" goes to fast forward mode, approx. 4x normal speed. What can I say, this is an excellent example of developers who listen to user UI gripes and suggestions

Well, maybe most of you already knew that, but I was busy for the last 9 months didn't discover it until now. Regardless... if even one person discovers "F = Fast Forward" due to this post, it will be worthwhile. I rate it the number 2 GUI enhancement since Dominions 1, after the "F1" screen.

And thank you, Johan =)
Old February 27th, 2005, 09:59 PM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road
Default Re: \"F\" is for \"Fast Forward\"

I didn't know until a few weeks ago that if you type # you can enter a Province Number and jump to it . Very useful also for Allied Communication . Then if your ally asks you to ghost rider Provinces 19 and 45 you need to just type # 19 and voila you know where the province is . Before i knew this it took me sometimes 2-3 minutes until finding the right province .
Old February 27th, 2005, 10:51 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

I just wish they implemented that for the "Choose province to cast spell to" screen. C - Ghost Riders - #19, C - Ghost Riders - #45. Ah, the dreams...

I still prefer the province selection of Dom II to province number selection of Dom:PPP, but both is better.

Has there been any thread(s) about wanted/required shortcuts and fast keys, or improvements to current ones? Simple ones would be the best, I think.
Old February 27th, 2005, 11:10 PM

Major General

Saber Cherry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Endoperez said:
I just wish they implemented that for the "Choose province to cast spell to" screen. C - Ghost Riders - #19, C - Ghost Riders - #45. Ah, the dreams...

I still prefer the province selection of Dom II to province number selection of Dom:PPP, but both is better.

Has there been any thread(s) about wanted/required shortcuts and fast keys, or improvements to current ones? Simple ones would be the best, I think.
I wish you could cast a spell to the "F1" screen, where search status is obvious. Oh, and see dominion/scale levels in the F1 screen... but it's already crowded. Maybe another screen LIKE the F1 screen, but with a new set of information=)

As for the thread to which you refer... I think that's the "Wishlist" thread=)
Old February 27th, 2005, 11:55 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

There are not too many...From DrPraetorius's great list:

Quote:
Sort provinces, provinces list should show terrain types (Cainehill).
Pictorial/better/more accessible representations of province stats (Turin, Cainehill).

how more/less stuff when you hit F1 (Cainehill).
Sort commanders (Cainehill, deccan).
Key to scroll through units of various sorts (incl. Sneaking units, units with forge bonuses) (RedRover) I'd also add units currently assigned to defend, units currently assigned to research, and units in territories currently bordering on territories belonging to enemy players.
Alchemy should be handled via the lab screen rather than as an order for commanders (Rainbow, Zooko). Zooko actually says "use best alchemist automatically".
Gems displayed numerically (Rainbow).

Every screen should be accessible from every other screen without going back up and then back down again (Tinkthank).
Separate server and client applications (Esben Mose Hansen).
"General Overhaul" (Peter Ebbesen).
Better control of battle playback, so you can pause, rewind and just quit instead of just FFing (Zooko). Oh, absolutely.
Custom keyboard shortcuts (PhilD, RedRover). RedRover suggests a bunch of specific kbd shorcuts.
"Find" dialogue to look for specific magic items, leaders by level or by skill level or whatever (RedRover).
Remember hotkey assignments between games (SurvivalistMerc). Remember them for each nation (Edi).
In general, more information you can see without clicking the better (SurvivalistMerc.) I don't know, I think the game screen is going to become overcrowded fast...

I don't think there were others.
Most of these would add new things to the game, rather than making the ones already in the game easier to use.
Old February 28th, 2005, 08:50 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

tinkthank is on a distinguished road

Sorry, but Dr. Praetetus' excellent thread only sums up about the first half of the threads on the wishlist. Lots of good suggestions (including, ahem, mine!) are in the second half.
Old February 28th, 2005, 02:10 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

SC: try the 'n' key. It skips one turn of the battle.

thinktank: please sum up the second part