.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > After Action Reports
Notices

Old January 8th, 2010, 02:36 AM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road
Default Scenario 32 Danube Rivermen

I run in a bit of a lul in pbem play,

So looking thru some scenarios for fill this one seemed interesting.

Was it ever!

You got amphibious landings, gunboats and naval transports,Calvary,planes and light tanks and armored cars not to mention you have to stop a demo squad from blowing the bridge (which i failed to do)and then if that's not enough you have to assault a Castle if you make it that far.

Just got a draw but enjoyed every minute of it,

I'd say this scenario has very good replayability it plays fast but has a big battle feel to it.

Those river batteries slow you down in hindsight would have hammered the secondary ones more as lost some naval transport with all aboard.

Definitely winnable but not easy, would settled for a marginal.

I just rushed bit too much this time for certain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	9221  

Last edited by gila; January 8th, 2010 at 03:02 AM..
Old January 9th, 2010, 07:04 PM

First Lieutenant

iCaMpWiThAWP is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scenario 32 Danube Rivermen

A simple tip would be to keep your transports behind the fighting ships, and fire smoke at places you would place a gun, some HE as well, but don't waste it all, you'll need it to assault the castle and the city, btw, did you beat the castle?
Old January 9th, 2010, 08:43 PM

Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCaMpWiThAWP View Post
A simple tip would be to keep your transports behind the fighting ships, and fire smoke at places you would place a gun, some HE as well, but don't waste it all,

I realize now smoke would've helped,I was using gunboats to silence the next battery near the bend in the river makes direct fire smoke only possible for the battery south of the river

you'll need it to assault the castle and the city, btw, did you beat the castle?
Almost, got at the gate,,cleared the trenches but ran out of time,main problem was controlling the town had all my AC's trapped south since the bridge was blown and some Yugo CS light tanks and infrty are there.
One thing i should mention, calvary could be used effectively running down routed units in the south,i lost most of mine from that immobile mortar boat!

Last edited by gila; January 9th, 2010 at 09:11 PM..
Old January 10th, 2010, 08:45 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Saw this & sounded like fun so thought I would try but dont know if I should thank or curse you, make the fort did you say not sure about that with my start. First shore battery most guns decided to ignore closer ships & fire on distant one routing it. Then an ATG decided it was fair game to so my HQ went to the bottom on turn 2 thats what I call a good start
Like you say probably infinetly replayable with so many variables due to every type of unit.
Old January 10th, 2010, 02:50 PM

Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Saw this & sounded like fun so thought I would try but dont know if I should thank or curse you, make the fort did you say not sure about that with my start. First shore battery most guns decided to ignore closer ships & fire on distant one routing it. Then an ATG decided it was fair game to so my HQ went to the bottom on turn 2 thats what I call a good start
Like you say probably infinetly replayable with so many variables due to every type of unit.
Almost lost my HQ on the first turn also, Guess i got lucky, boat was badly damaged so ran it ashore and offloaded HQ.
I had planned to rescue later with a LC but decided they were better off shipwrecked but still alive.

Things improve when reinforcements start to arrive if you can keep those paras alive thru the hosing they'll surely get, pop smoke asap as you will need them desperately later.
Old January 10th, 2010, 07:26 PM

General

This is a really well designed scenerio so many choices on what to do was up till the small hours playing it now on turn 14 & things are coming together. The force North of the river is finaly making progress & my cavalry will be at the bridge road shortly & its still up with arty covering the far end. Paras ignored your advice & charged for the bridge at all costs along with truck infantry when they turned up, not far to go but they have paid a very heavy price for the ground. Boats moving under cover of there own smoke are about 500m from the bridge & can hopefully cover any attempt to blow it soon. Another couple of turns & first landings in town should be possible then all I have to do is sink that ship without losing mine & cover the bridge for engineers was my thought when went to bed.
Said this was good had to have a quick go this morning to find out if I can keep the bridge up, now at turn 18 the monitor ship is very heavily damaged & some troops have landed in town. My tanks have turned up & are halfway across the bridge though had a big scare when an R-35 appeared out of nowhere. Looks like made it just in time as a squad has come into sight at the far end of the bridge sending half my cavalry that way. Should be able to turn my attention to the fort now sending units still in boats will head that way.
As I have the turns 14 & 18 uploaded if want a look
Attached Files
File Type: zip Saves T14&T18.zip (373.6 KB, 242 views)
Old January 10th, 2010, 08:45 PM

Captain

Took a look at your game.

It looks like you are doing well,

Those R-35's are hard to crack arn't they?
Gotta love those toldi AC's for pinning down infrty.

I see you landed most if not all north and are slugging it out,I tried to land them further up the river big mistake or not this where replayabilty comes in.

You got the demo team that was to blow the bridge, well done,

How the hell your calvary got so far mostly intact is a mystery to me, mine were decimated by the DARVA mortor boat which seemed to have a penchent for horsemen.

I sank that SOB though

Good luck taking that fort

Last edited by gila; January 10th, 2010 at 09:01 PM..
Old January 11th, 2010, 07:30 AM

General

Landed about half up North would have been slightly less but any damaged ship unloaded rather than risk another hit & sinking as no idea whats out there.

My cavalry was slightly slow off the mark deployed with leader at front & HQ is gone so not going to risk losing him. Meant they were not that far ahead of ships then ran into MG on other bank & waited for ships to deal with, they also smoked out the monitor from this time on so it never fired.

Toldi AC have saved the day nicely balanced scenerio but they & a tank attacked R-35 point blank after a MOL hit routing only no damageso far.
Old January 11th, 2010, 10:39 AM

First Lieutenant

iCaMpWiThAWP is on a distinguished road

Did anyone Had That bridge blown by enemy engineers?
Old January 11th, 2010, 11:17 AM

General

Despite my position had several turns fighting them off they tried hard to blow it or reach the explosives on it, tanks stuck on bridge for 3 or 4 turns defending it with every boat I can muster. Bonus was R-35s tried to attack them but ships took them out, if swapped for new explosive class my tanks might have ended up in the river. One turn earlier might have been a lot easier.
Town is hard going really & planes show its being reinforced. The fort is proving relativly easy so far at 2nd trench line if it carries on this way 2 boats of troops heading for it will miss all the action. Really missing my HQ now in big firefights as cant unpinn key units so slow going & leaving guys behind who will probably be permanently stuck as out of contact.