.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old September 25th, 2003, 09:22 PM

Major

Nagot Gick Fel is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Depopulation

Quote:
Originally posted by licker:
I agree that micro should be avoided like the plague, however, if some action is uncommon enough, then making if micro is probably ok. Anyway, my suggestion would be to allow for the player to 'mark' provinces for immigration. I would imagine this working by having an extra box or check on the province info screen where the player could set a certain amount of cash to encourage people to migrate there. So you wouldn't gain any population to your entire kingdom, but you would be able to pursuade your citizens to move around some. As I envision it, the money would have to be paid every turn, and there would be no gaurentee that anyone would actually move. I don't know how, or even if, migration is handled in Dom2, but it would be an interesting addition... add some effects that allow you to 'encourage' enemy pretenders population to move to your border provinces, and you have a new way of fighting your enemies with gold rather than magic
I'm not overly enthusiastic about growing more pop in Dom2 to compensate for depopulation, but I think yours is a cute idea. Other options:

(1) The "marking" could be triggered by a ritual spell (thus needing a lab), and you could spend extra gems to slightly increase your chances of success.

(2) Preaching/religious dominance - if your dominion spreads into your adversary's territory, it seems logical the believers here should see an opportunity to migrate to the land which actively promotes their own faith.
Old September 25th, 2003, 09:33 PM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

I still bring out my opinion that crossbreeding is the road to happiness and equality! Because of R'lyeh, the world is happier than before R'lyeh, because we have crossbreeding that can solve so many problems!

Yes, this is very, very OT and very, very weird and somewhat disturbing. But that doesn't change the fact that R'lyeh has Tentacle Boogeymen/Human Crossbreeds...

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old September 25th, 2003, 09:34 PM

Major

Quote:
Originally posted by Daynarr:
So I think that, at the moment, rate of population destruction is way off scales.
Look at history... times of religious wars weren't kind on the common people. The Taiping Rebellion alone (which was triggered by a fanatic christian chinese) caused the death of 20 or 30 millions.
Old September 25th, 2003, 09:39 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

Is there no one that have tried to wish for population?

It does work.

[ September 25, 2003, 20:40: Message edited by: Kristoffer O ]
Old September 25th, 2003, 09:42 PM

Lieutenant General

Who wishes for "stupid" things like that when we can wish for Lord of the Night's who we then give proper equpment and then use as uber-assasins.
Or then we wish either for gold or gems.

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old September 25th, 2003, 09:53 PM

Major

Quote:
Originally posted by Nerfix:
Who wishes for "stupid" things like that when we can wish for Lord of the Night's who we then give proper equpment and then use as uber-assasins.
Or then we wish either for gold or gems.
Hmmm... my own favorite wishes are POWER and MAGIC POWER - definitely! Turn an astral mage into a killing machine...
Old September 25th, 2003, 10:46 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Pocus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Kristoffer O:

It does work.
a bit too costly for a 100 gems cost.

a simple mechanism would be to have the growth scale give a *minimal* increase, whatever is the pop of the province. As of now, a depopulated province stay depopulated.

Also, why not tie pop growth to tax rate. You already have implemented that too much taxes reduce populations, so why not enabling the reverse (population migrate into the province, they dont have to be teleported magically!).

also the growth scale give roughly 0.15% increase each time (for an astonishing ~~ 0.5 % for growth +3). The doms I manual states that the growth rate is 0.5% for EACH scale. So, is the code buggy (anathem!) or is the manual wrong?
Old September 25th, 2003, 10:50 PM

Lieutenant General

It can't be anathem!
Illwinter is holy, their manuals just got attacked by the printing demons!

[ September 28, 2003, 07:52: Message edited by: Nerfix ]

- Kristoffer O.
Old September 25th, 2003, 11:00 PM

Corporal

MStavros is on a distinguished road

If there will be spell(s) to 'summon' population, its all good than.
Old September 25th, 2003, 11:08 PM

Captain

johan osterman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Pocus:
quote:
Originally posted by Kristoffer O:

It does work.
a bit too costly for a 100 gems cost.

a simple mechanism would be to have the growth scale give a *minimal* increase, whatever is the pop of the province. As of now, a depopulated province stay depopulated.

Also, why not tie pop growth to tax rate. You already have implemented that too much taxes reduce populations, so why not enabling the reverse (population migrate into the province, they dont have to be teleported magically!).

also the growth scale give roughly 0.15% increase each time (for an astonishing ~~ 0.5 % for growth +3). The doms I manual states that the growth rate is 0.5% for EACH scale. So, is the code buggy (anathem!) or is the manual wrong?

In dom 2 one turn is one month. If I recall correctly the growth is 1.001+(growth*0.002) maxing out at 1.007^12=1.087.. a year, almost 9% population growth a year. At growth 0 it will result in appr. 1.2% growth a year. 9% population growth a year is a pretty big whopping growth. The reason that taxes below the default does not increase population growth is that the 100% is considered the tax that is sustainable without impacting negatively on the population, more taxes will be detrimental to the health of population, but lower taxes will not have that much of a positive impact. There is no national health care plan in dominions but gift of health! Demand gift of health from your local pretender today!

[ September 25, 2003, 22:18: Message edited by: johan osterman ]