.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old June 26th, 2015, 05:34 PM

Corporal

chris h is on a distinguished road
Default Scenario creation

I'm experimenting with a long campaign using a Pz Div but I'm struggling to work out how to replicate the command structure for the Brigades/Regiments/Bn. The largest formation I can see is a company.

Could someone point me in the right direction please.
Old June 26th, 2015, 06:46 PM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scenario creation

The game is designed to be played at "battalion" strength.

The A0 unit is battalion commander (lt-colonel), under this are company and platoon level commands.

The game has 3 Tiers of command Battalion -> Company -> Platoon (->units).
Whether you, or the country depicted, consider the "battalion" a regiment, battlegroup, combat team, etc is pretty irrelevant.

I think you will struggle in terms of trying to field an entire Division, in terms of:
Max units (core max 200)
Max points (core[total?] 65,000)
command structure
Speed of play (both in terms of how long it takes you to do each turn and the wait for the Ai to complete its turn)
Some problems have been reported with huge games (the engine may reach its effective limit before actual maximums).

I think most folks do long campaigns with 3 or 4 companies, plus ancillary suport troops (artillery, etc) - OR LESS!

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
Old June 26th, 2015, 07:02 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_rocks View Post
The game is designed to be played at "battalion" strength.

The A0 unit is battalion commander (lt-colonel), under this are company and platoon level commands.

The game has 3 Tiers of command Battalion -> Company -> Platoon (->units).
Whether you, or the country depicted, consider the "battalion" a regiment, battlegroup, combat team, etc is pretty irrelevant.

I think you will struggle in terms of trying to field an entire Division, in terms of:
Max units (core max 200)
Max points (core[total?] 65,000)
command structure
Speed of play (both in terms of how long it takes you to do each turn and the wait for the Ai to complete its turn)
Some problems have been reported with huge games (the engine may reach its effective limit before actual maximums).

I think most folks do long campaigns with 3 or 4 companies, plus ancillary suport troops (artillery, etc) - OR LESS!
OK! It appears I'm too ambitious.

I've played a number of large scenarios were a Div has been depicted, Scenario 29 - Showdown at Jandrain for instance. From what you said this would explain the lack of a proper command structure but there are lots of units. Is this possible because it is a stand alone scenario and not a campaign.

Am I correct in assuming therefore that campaigns enforce (probably the wrong word) restrictions on the number of units for the reasons you stated but scenarios do not.
Old June 26th, 2015, 07:43 PM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road

After a little digging some hard numbers from the GG:
"In WinSPww2 and WinSPMBT you can have up to 500 units per side, in up to 200 formations, and cores of 200."

Scenario 29 has 290 units total (both sides combined!)

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
Old June 27th, 2015, 03:17 AM

Sergeant

Griefbringer is on a distinguished road

In case you want to try putting together a game where a player commands a regiment, you could proxy the organisation by considering the battalion support weapon companies to be led by the battalion commanders. This won't give the battalion commanders any direct effect over the actual rifle companies, but it still gives them command over the battalion support assets - which is one of the important roles for a battalion commander. In this case the A0 unit could then represent the regimental commander.

The structure of the force could then look something like this for an infantry regiment:

- Regimental HQ (A0 + transport vehicle)
- Regimental reconnaissance platoon
- Regimental infantry gun company
- Regimental anti-tank company
- Battalion A heavy weapons company (led by battalion commander)
- Battalion A rifle company 1
- Battalion A rifle company 2
- Battalion A rifle company 3
- Battalion B heavy weapons company (led by battalion commander)
- Battalion B rifle company 1
- Battalion B rifle company 2
- Battalion B rifle company 3
- Battalion C heavy weapons company (led by battalion commander)
- Battalion C rifle company 1
- Battalion C rifle company 2
- Battalion C rifle company 3

Plus attached divisional level assets as appropriate.
The Following User Says Thank You to Griefbringer For This Useful Post:
Old June 27th, 2015, 03:35 AM

Corporal

I've one last question before I jump in.

I'm want to create a campaign starting in Poland based around a Pz div. That being two big I'll reduce the size to a Kampfgruppe. One thin I noticed is the game uses the term PzG at this time. That term did not exist then, there were called Schutzen (Gep or Mot). No problem I can create them using MobHack however I do not seem to be able to save changes. I cam make another file but I cannot see it when I open MobHack the next time.

I'm obviously doing something stupid but I have no idea what.
Old June 27th, 2015, 04:01 AM

Sergeant

Griefbringer is on a distinguished road

When using Mobhack to modify or create new units, you will need to commit your changes using F12 button (or appropriate icon) after you have edited a particular unit and before moving to the next unit.

Additionally, once you have finished editing units in a given OOB, you will also need to change it.
Old June 27th, 2015, 05:18 AM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griefbringer View Post
When using Mobhack to modify or create new units, you will need to commit your changes using F12 button (or appropriate icon) after you have edited a particular unit and before moving to the next unit.

Additionally, once you have finished editing units in a given OOB, you will also need to change it.
Just found the commit button (knew it was me) and it all works fine except when I used Save As. I've just work out as well. The name has to be in the .ini file before MobHack can see it.

Thanks
Old June 27th, 2015, 10:49 AM

Corporal

Wiking is on a distinguished road

As someone who has played large scale campaigns and has one on-going, I can speak with some experience:

If you want to field a larger force, I suggest not more than a battalion of armor and a battalion of infantry. Ideally take either a couple platoons or a company of engineers to help your tanks out in close quarters and in assaults. They also make for a very strong reaction force if you buy some tank destroyers/stug's.

It also follows the usual German doctrine of assigning a tank company to support a Panzergrenadier company, etc. I buy transports out of support points to fit most of this in; I am not the norm! If you want something more sane, do a Panzergrenadier battalion with transports and a single Panzer company. I tend to push the upper edges of what is playable, but acknowledge it is not really what the game is ideally based around.

Example OOB:

3x Panzergrenadier kp (with built in mortars and machineguns, otherwise buy a seperate platoon and attach it during deployment)
3x Panzer kp (1 Medium, 2 "Light", as per early war TO/E)
1x Panzer-Pionier kp
2-3 Artillery batteries
1 Infantry Gun company / Heavy Mortar battery
2-3 FlaK batteries / Self-propelled being preferred

If I buy scouts, I buy them out of the support points. Armored cars are fun but mostly just tend to do "Recon by death", so I find it more useful to probe with my infantry who can take some hits. With enough experience they will do about as well as the scouts anyways.