.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old March 28th, 2013, 07:49 AM

Second Lieutenant

jivemi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Difficult scenarios & campaigns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts4EVER View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jivemi View Post
I've found the 29th Infantry campaign to be quite difficult; couldn't even finish it since I got wiped out in the seventh(?) battle. Gotta try it again sometime.
I submitted that campaign for the next patch btw.
Great. Is this the same "new and probably final version of the campaign, with adjusted difficulty levels and some other fixes" that you offered on 10-07-12, or something more recent?. Sure would love to have another go once "my" Golden Talon campaign is over.

P.S. Seems like you can't entrench in a delay scenario. So if entrenchment is automatic in a defense, what's the button for? Not quibbling, just wondering. Cheers.
Old April 24th, 2013, 05:46 PM

Private

Badger is on a distinguished road

I recently played two quite difficult scenarios:

#28 Airlanding operation NiWi Nord (Germany vs. Belgium)
#164 Torino Christmas Battle (Italy vs. Soviet Union)

#28 Was quite difficult mainly because at the beginning you have to decide how to disperse your few troops among the VH's. I wont spoil the fun for those who haven't played it, but I really liked the scenario.

#164 I think this scenario is extremely difficult regardless of if you know the composition of the enemy and which direction he is coming from. Your troops are seriously lacking AT capability and have low morale. I was unable to form a mobile defense as the troops move 1-2 hexes per turn in the snow. The enemy has an overwhelming superiority in artillery, tanks and infantry. Time is your only ally here. The Soviets completely routed my troops, and at the end was only able to "achieve" a marginal defeat by standing between the enemy and the victory hexes so he would run out of time capturing them. In addition, an infantry platoon and a section of 60mm inf. guns are placed at the lower left portion of the map in the beginning. Im not sure if that is a bug or designed this way, but they have no prospect whatsoever to reach the line during 16 turns, so cannot contribute in any way.

Badger
Old April 24th, 2013, 06:03 PM

Private

Badger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Edit: Just played #33, Halfaya Pass as the Germans (advance) again. First time I got a draw, this time a marginal (something like 1960 to 289). You gotta be quick, else the Brits reinforce with Matildas and Valentines too soon to get the last VH('s). Even though I got all the objectives it still wasn't enough, despite losing only one tank. If you can get a decisive without reloading you're a better player than me. Cheers.
I never reload in my games, I like the fact that I get to pay from my own mistakes . It is also more interesting to play a scenario for the first time when you don't know what to expect. For example, scenario #28 i mentioned above is probably a decisive victory IF you would know exactly how the scenario unfolds.

I quickly looked at scenario #33, i might try it later. Haven't really played North African scenarios in a while. thanks for the tip
The Following User Says Thank You to Badger For This Useful Post:
Old April 24th, 2013, 11:06 PM

Second Lieutenant

Greetings Badger. Getting back to your OP, you mentioned that Scenario 72, "Sacrifice of the Few," was hard to get a DV out of, implying that you actually DID get a DV.

If so, how did you manage that? You were playing as the Nationalists, right? I've played that several times, always with draws, the only difference being whether my score was higher or lower than the AI (Japan).

The only way I can think of getting a DV would be to play "hide-and-seek" with the Sons of Nippon, getting lucky with ambushes and sneaking around behind them to grab VH's with light armor and motorcycles. Otherwise you simply get overwhelmed. Any suggestions? Cheers.
Old April 25th, 2013, 12:49 AM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

I've gotten past winning an DV every time,so i now use this perpective,when playing scenarios.

1)most are set up to be difficult as the designer would hate to hear "it was too easy"

2)they can be unbalanced epecially if the designer wants it that way.also historically you may be put in a underdog situation.

3)you don't have get a DV every time to get a tactical win,think of how well you played and if you gave more than you got,ie who got the bloodier nose,then it makes sense who actually commanded the field.

In other words,don't obsess with getting an DV,too much stress it's all on how well you played and how much fun it was!

After all nobody is judgeing you except maybe yourself.
Old April 25th, 2013, 10:50 PM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by gila View Post
I've gotten past winning an DV every time,so i now use this perpective,when playing scenarios.

1)most are set up to be difficult as the designer would hate to hear "it was too easy"

2)they can be unbalanced epecially if the designer wants it that way.also historically you may be put in a underdog situation.

3)you don't have get a DV every time to get a tactical win,think of how well you played and if you gave more than you got,ie who got the bloodier nose,then it makes sense who actually commanded the field.

In other words,don't obsess with getting an DV,too much stress it's all on how well you played and how much fun it was!

After all nobody is judgeing you except maybe yourself.
Well said. SPWW2 is a wonderful tool, but sometimes we ask too much of it--and ourselves. Much as we'd like, we can't go back and change history by beating up on our favorite bogeyman. Besides, as Andy mentioned years ago, "This is a wargame. It is not a 'sim.'" So we shouldn't believe that we're proving anything earth-shaking by achieving DV's on the combat results screen.

Do your best, sure, but don't worry about the result. It should be enough to have the pleasure of playing this wonderful game. Cheers.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 08:13 AM

First Lieutenant

Roman is on a distinguished road

When a scenario is difficult is when this game gets better. Because if a plan did not work you can try another, and if this did not work you will have to think of another. I happened to some scenarios.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roman For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2013, 09:38 AM

First Lieutenant

Playing the scenario 28 for the first time got a marginal victory.
Take all the victory points but had heavy casualties.
Good incursion and defense scenario.
Old May 4th, 2013, 01:40 AM

Second Lieutenant

Congratulations. My result was a decisive loss; couldn't do much against the tanks so they got close and ripped me apart. A sobering experience indeed...
Old May 4th, 2013, 01:29 PM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
Congratulations. My result was a decisive loss; couldn't do much against the tanks so they got close and ripped me apart. A sobering experience indeed...
Use the engineers to destroy tanks. Not to get into the open. Use hiding, suppression fire and bring engineers to assault tanks.