.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Closed Thread

Old October 10th, 2006, 06:43 PM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Are we paying more for less?

Ah I see. I was in Croatia countless times, I have many mates there [well basically kickboxers], also we have 2 houses near the sea. Where do you live? Zagreb? Mirko is a very cool man, I've met with him 2 times, thanks to my sparring partners. Yeah more then likely he would kick my butt also, but this might change in ~3-5 years.

Ps. Nice to meet with a Croatian on this forum mate.

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."
Old October 10th, 2006, 07:01 PM

Private

Bloodstar2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
DominionsFan said:
Ah I see. I was in Croatia countless times, I have many mates there [well basically kickboxers], also we have 2 houses near the sea. Where do you live? Zagreb? Mirko is a very cool man, I've met with him 2 times, thanks to my sparring partners. Yeah more then likely he would kick my butt also, but this might change in ~3-5 years.

Cool.
Yes, I live in Zagreb. I know some people who are good with Mirko. Also, my friend was before into boxing (ordinary) and he was sparring with Zeljko Mavrovic. Mavrovic today is a businessman, he makes good bread and other healthy food products, my friends works at his company as well.

And also salute to you Hungarian mate!

Mario
Old October 10th, 2006, 07:09 PM

Dhaeron

Quote:
DragonFire11 said:
I think major publishers make a mistake discounting their titles. I seldom purchase a new title because I know if I just wait a few months I'll get a steep reduction. I assume that the publishers are pressured into this due to the fight for shelf space at retail. But I guess that is the sacrifice for a deep market distribution. Anyway, I think quality titles deserve a fair and consistent price. For this reason, I appreciate how Shrapnel markets its products. I would, however, like to see them hold a yearly sale or something of the sort. This might convert fence sitters and grow the dom brand until we all say "Blizzard who?".
I think you're mistaken here. While i still wonder about the incompetence that is displayed everywhere in the IT indsutry, (while working there i get to observe it first hand. I blame it on the older generation in higher management ranks who grew up with electric typewriters not computers) i'm sure that the economists at the big publishing companies know exactly what they're doing.
I'd say that in most mainstream games new graphics make up 50-80% of the selling point. Basically, crap like halo 2 or WoW sells because it's shiny and new not because it's so much better than the predecessor from last year. Ok, maybe those were bad examples since in bose cases they've ben massively overhyped too.
Anyway, mainstream games have to be shiny to sell, and on the mass market, games aren't shiny anymore if their graphics are a year old. Many posts in this thread show how important shinyness is for many gamers.
So, the way i interpret it, publishers of mainstream games don't have a choice but to reduce prices over time or they wouldn't sell the game anymore. Because you can always pick up the newest shiny clone of one of the five or so game types that are still produced en masse if you're willing to pay full price. No point in buying a virtually identical game with older graphics.
Niche games are different. Unlike Oblivion or Doom 3, games like Dominions or UFO: Aftershock (to name a semi-niche game not from Shrapnel) age very well, since shinyness isn't important in the first place, the value doesn't diminish with time.
Old October 10th, 2006, 07:19 PM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Bloodstar2 said:
Quote:
DominionsFan said:

Cool.
Yes, I live in Zagreb. I know some people who are good with Mirko. Also, my friend was before into boxing (ordinary) and he was sparring with Zeljko Mavrovic. Mavrovic today is a businessman, he makes good bread and other healthy food products, my friends works at his company as well.

And also salute to you Hungarian mate!

Mario
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...ilipovic&hl=en

K1 legends in this little video including Mirko, Hoost, Andy Hug, Aerts and many others.

Some fight scenes of Mirko, some of them are from his early period. [Can you see the difference between his young period and later period? He is using his legs much more lately, not to mention that his muscles are much bigger now + also he is much more powerful and faster now.]
He has worked a lot to become one of the best fighters, you can find some training session videos on the net. I am really impressed.

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."
Old October 10th, 2006, 07:27 PM

Private

Bloodstar2 is on a distinguished road

K1 legends in this little video including Mirko, Hoost, Andy Hug, Aerts and many others.

Some fight scenes of Mirko, most of them are from his early period. [Can you see the difference between his young period and later period? He is using his legs much more lately, not to mention that his muscles are much bigger now + also he is much more powerful and faster now.]
He worked a lot for this, you can find some training session videos also. I am really impressed.

[/quote]

Thanks, appreciate the links, I look the video later today I have fight with office clerks around town ah..
Good to see that discussion have cooled down

Will report my mini review when I get the game
Old October 10th, 2006, 08:21 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Mindi is on a distinguished road

I think this thread as run it's course and needs to go to thread heaven.

Lock.

For those looking for with this forum, please see Annette as I am retired.
Closed Thread