.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 25th, 2012, 08:57 AM

Corporal

momfreeek is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Official release of the unofficial Dominions 3 Wiki

Its all here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation_mark
Quote:
History
Quote:
In Early Modern English, quotation marks were used only to denote pithy comments. They first began to quote direct speech in 1714. By 1749, single quotation marks, or inverted commas, were commonly used to denote direct speech.[5]
to:
Quote:
Signaling unusual usage
Quotation marks are also used to indicate that the writer realizes that a word is not being used in its current commonly accepted sense:

Crystals somehow "know" which shape to grow into.
In addition to conveying a neutral attitude and to call attention to a neologism, or slang, or special terminology (also known as jargon), quoting can also indicate words or phrases that are descriptive but unusual, colloquial, folksy, startling, humorous, metaphoric, or contain a pun: Dawkins's concept of a meme could be described as an "evolving idea".

People also use quotation marks in this way to distance the writer from the terminology in question so as not to be associated with it, for example to indicate that a quoted word is not official terminology, or that a quoted phrase presupposes things that the author does not necessarily agree with; or to indicate special terminology that should be identified for accuracy's sake as someone else's terminology, as when a term (particularly a controversial term) pre-dates the writer or represents the views of someone else, perhaps without judgement (contrast this neutrally-distancing quoting to the negative use of scare quotes).

Thus, that you misunderstood was not a fault of the writer. But misunderstandings happen, and clarifications are given. And then all is understood which is the goal of language.

Last edited by momfreeek; June 25th, 2012 at 09:10 AM..
Old June 25th, 2012, 10:13 AM

Colonel

Soyweiser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by momfreeek View Post
Its all here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation_mark
Quote:
History
Quote:
In Early Modern English, quotation marks were used only to denote pithy comments. They first began to quote direct speech in 1714. By 1749, single quotation marks, or inverted commas, were commonly used to denote direct speech.[5]
to:
Quote:
Signaling unusual usage
Quotation marks are also used to indicate that the writer realizes that a word is not being used in its current commonly accepted sense:

Crystals somehow "know" which shape to grow into.
In addition to conveying a neutral attitude and to call attention to a neologism, or slang, or special terminology (also known as jargon), quoting can also indicate words or phrases that are descriptive but unusual, colloquial, folksy, startling, humorous, metaphoric, or contain a pun: Dawkins's concept of a meme could be described as an "evolving idea".

People also use quotation marks in this way to distance the writer from the terminology in question so as not to be associated with it, for example to indicate that a quoted word is not official terminology, or that a quoted phrase presupposes things that the author does not necessarily agree with; or to indicate special terminology that should be identified for accuracy's sake as someone else's terminology, as when a term (particularly a controversial term) pre-dates the writer or represents the views of someone else, perhaps without judgement (contrast this neutrally-distancing quoting to the negative use of scare quotes).

Thus, that you misunderstood was not a fault of the writer. But misunderstandings happen, and clarifications are given. And then all is understood which is the goal of language.
[citation needed]
http://wolfsbane.alwaysdata.net/Spells.html
Test stuff, use the debug mod:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453
Old June 25th, 2012, 10:26 AM

Second Lieutenant

brxbrx is an unknown quantity at this point

this is a ****ing ridiculous pissing contest. Just give it up and let it rest.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brxbrx For This Useful Post:
Old June 25th, 2012, 11:20 AM

Corporal

momfreeek is on a distinguished road

yeah, surely we understand each other soy? thats the goal isn't it?

But I do enjoy these battles on strategy game forums even if its contrary to the purpose of discussion ^^
Old June 25th, 2012, 02:21 PM

Major General

Valerius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBrave View Post
Hi Valerius. Is it me or everyone else who's barmy?
I'd prefer not to step into the grammar war but I think many people would view down being in quotes as expressing skepticism about why the site was down. But this is kind of an absurd debate, so regardless of whether the site was down or "down" we can all be happy that it is now unequivocally up.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valerius For This Useful Post:
Old July 7th, 2012, 07:34 AM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBrave View Post
As for the points about the (Dom3) Wiki content. Yes, I do realise (especially e.g. with Wordpress) that most stuff is delivered dynamically --- and so much the worse for delivery speed and processing usage. My point was that, as an information source with loads of text and little if any interaction, the content is static in nature. When I read the pages that's what I'm accessing.
It would be possible to make a static version of the Wiki, yes. Finding out which parts have been updated and maintaining this static version by refreshing the updated articles would be some challenge. The other alternative would be to spider through the whole Wiki content on regular intervals. I have no intention of doing either by myself, because it has very limited to minimal use, takes too many resources, and because others are already doing this. You can always access the Internet Archive's mirror of the Wiki pages:
The Wayback Machine
Click on the sphere with the latest date and start browsing the Archive.

I think somebody made, or wanted to make, a program which displays the most interesting Wiki pages concerning unit stats etc. in some offline viewer. Some kind of unit editor, I think? My memory might be playing tricks on me. There is another website about data on magic spells, too.

reverend has been converting the nation references into downloadable and printable PDF manuals, see the Nation Reference - ALL AGES for more info. The content might be slightly outdated, though, of course. While looking for these files, I stumbled over a Russian Dom3Wiki, where people started converting some of the Dom3Wiki contents to Russian.

There are MediaWiki extensions which allow people to add articles to a collection and then generate some PDF (or other format) file like reverend's nation references. I might install this at some point, maybe.

Finally, there are extensions for hosting/displaying/browsing "offline Wiki" contents, which take a dump of the Wiki database and then display this, without the ability to edit anything. This might make sense if somebody with no internet access wants to access the Wiki contents during a plane flight or so, or in case the Wiki is down and one wants to have a read-only copy, but I think rather then trying to implement this I'll use my time to fix the Wiki completely if it is broken, and for all other purposes The Wayback Machine (see above) should be an adequate solution.
Emergency comic relief
Old September 11th, 2012, 03:34 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

The Dom3Wiki is down due to a power outage. It might take a day or two until the electrican can fix this. No data is lost. Please be patient for the Wiki to come back.
Emergency comic relief
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lch For This Useful Post:
Old October 1st, 2012, 01:27 PM

Colonel

Soyweiser is on a distinguished road

Wiki is back. (been back for ages).
http://wolfsbane.alwaysdata.net/Spells.html
Test stuff, use the debug mod:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453
Old October 1st, 2012, 09:14 PM

Captain

sansanjuan is on a distinguished road

Over 200k accesses. What a fine service.

This page was last modified on 22 September 2012, at 11:49.
This page has been accessed 200,956 times.
Privacy policyAbout Dom3WikiDisclaimers

ssj

"I yam what I yam" - Popeye
Old October 15th, 2012, 01:45 AM

First Lieutenant

jimbojones1971 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansanjuan View Post
Over 200k accesses. What a fine service.

This page was last modified on 22 September 2012, at 11:49.
This page has been accessed 200,956 times.
Privacy policyAbout Dom3WikiDisclaimers

ssj
Yes, the wiki is a most wonderful service indeed - thanks Ich :-)