.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old July 9th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Tifone is on a distinguished road
Default Battlefield spell + retreating?

Hey all.

I'm a newbie gamer and new to the forum, maybe some of you have seen me around, I posted something in the Loldominions thread (that was funny, pity it's dead ) and in the recent thread where people complain or defend the price of the game

I am a real n00b, as I said, and I play only SP games now, so the problem I'm bringing your attention to, is not even a problem for me now possibly it will become when I try my first MP games?

Ok, let's make things short. I've seen around in the forum many people complaining about using Battlefield enchantments together with Mist of Deception and vortex of returning. Even using a mage for casting spells affecting the whole battlefield, and then retreating him from the battle, can bring to unpleasant situations, and is unlegit in many of the last MP games started, as I saw in the "Rules" section of the threads. Those two were at the top in the "Are these things an exploit?" thread too.

So. Does someone else think that if a mage leaves the battle in any way after casting such enchantments, these should end in the moment he goes? It seems logic to me, too.

I'd like to know the gurus opinion maybe this can be modded or changed in a future patch. I didn't want to discuss this in the bug thread as IMHO it is not a bug, it works exactly like intended but maybe if nobody likes the way it works, it should be changed

Old July 9th, 2008, 03:10 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Battlefield spell + retreating?

Please let this not be a flamebait thread.

Quote:
Tifone said:
I posted something in the Loldominions thread (that was funny, pity it's dead )
It is?? Praised be the Lord!
Ok, actually your stuff wasn't really Lolspeak and some things were kinda neat. As for others...

Quote:
Tifone said:
So. Does someone else think that if a mage leaves the battle in any way after casting such enchantments, these should end in the moment he goes? It seems logic to me, too.
It would make it hard to protect fragile mages throughout the battle which you need to cast the spells initially with. Then your mages have to be equally powerful or actually even better than the Thugs that you're facing. If somebody blesses your troops, then you don't expect that effect to vanish when the priest leaves or even is killed, too. But I could actually live with the decision that as soon as a mage leaves the battlefield, his spells vanish.
Emergency comic relief
Old July 9th, 2008, 03:14 PM

Sergeant

Ewierl is on a distinguished road

"Battlefield enchantments not ending when caster leaves the battlefield" is on the bug shortlist thread here ; if you search for "#581510" that'll take you to the post.

So yes, it's considered a bug
Old July 9th, 2008, 03:23 PM

First Lieutenant

K is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ewierl said:
"Battlefield enchantments not ending when caster leaves the battlefield" is on the bug shortlist thread here ; if you search for "#581510" that'll take you to the post.

So yes, it's considered a bug
It's considered a bug by one of the moderators of this board who created and maintains the board buglist. The fact that four or five patches have dropped since it got onto the board's buglist is evidence that the game designers don't consider it a bug that needs to be addressed.

Though they can pipe up and set me straight. They read the forums.
Old July 9th, 2008, 03:26 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

I'd prefer, though it is a little harder to justify, that spells that produce an immediate change on units (bless, luck, Protection, etc including the battlefield wide ones) leave the effects in place when the mage dies or leaves, while spells that have an ongoing effect (MoD, Storm, Wrathful skies, etc) stop with the mages death or retreat.

Which is, I believe, how it currently works when a mage is killed. That it doesn't happen when he retreats is the bug.
Old July 9th, 2008, 03:27 PM

Captain

Twan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It would make it hard to protect fragile mages throughout the battle which you need to cast the spells initially with. Then your mages have to be equally powerful or actually even better than the Thugs that you're facing. If somebody blesses your troops, then you don't expect that effect to vanish when the priest leaves or even is killed, too. But I could actually live with the decision that as soon as a mage leaves the battlefield, his spells vanish.
I think he was speaking about battle enchantments only, not all spells.

And for battle enchantments it's a known bug.

Now, out of extreme exploits like combos with MoD, it may be considered in the same category as a reverse communion, a non expected feature everyone can use and not bad for the game (note that communion slaves able to cast is also something listed in the short list).
Old July 9th, 2008, 03:34 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Re: K's post

Most of the bugs in the bug thread haven't been addressed since Edi put up the list, so that doesn't tell much about this spesific bug...

While it might not be a bug per se, it can be an exploit, and that means there should be some way of ending the spells even after the mage retreats.
Old July 9th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Hey all, 5 fast answers ^^

(Tnx 4 the compliment Ich, but the images stopped being in Lolspeak long before I even registered... ^_^)

Yeah I don't absolutely want this to become a flame war, I've read enough clones of the old "No Monkey Nation Will Ever Win A Game Because Of The Bad PD" thread XD

But as it was a problem that was being discussed around in the forum for a while, I just wanted to point it out in a specific thread and in a peaceful manner to see if the gurus and possibly devs think the problem should be resolved by mod or patch.
Of course I was talking only about battlefield spells and not all spells. It seems logic to me that a mage shouldn't be able to set i.e. Darkness during a battle on an entire battlefield and then run away to another province, making the spell un-dispellable.

It is not a bug as far as I know. Even tha manual says just "battlefield enchantments are dispelled if the caster dies" and not if he retreats, so it works as intended. But it seems strange and can be easily exploited.

Peace ^_^

Old July 9th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

The thread is working it seems ^_^ since we already have 3 clear opinions, with thejeff and Endoperez being able to express everything I think better than myself and Twan against.

IMHO Twan, if a battlefield enchantment (B.E. from now ok?) ends when the caster retreats or VoRs, this not only resolves the extreme exploits you talked about, but even makes perfect sense to me

But i take your point

Old July 9th, 2008, 04:13 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Tifone said:
Yeah I don't absolutely want this to become a flame war, I've read enough clones of the old "No Monkey Nation Will Ever Win A Game Because Of The Bad PD" thread XD

You don't understand - THEY CAN NEVAR WIN!!1

Don't you get that?

Yeesh.