.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old September 28th, 2008, 03:53 AM

Sergeant

Mind Elemental is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Guiding Jomon

Having just won an MP game as Jomon with an A4E4 imprisoned Celestial General (very similar to the recommended build), I thought I'd bump this and add two things that were vital for me:

1: Rain of Stones. This is huge. The OP mentioned its use by the pretender - but this is where Jomon's magical diversity comes in useful. It's only E3A1. Slightly more than one in every four master shugenja will have E1A1. A pair of earth boots takes that to E2A1. Summon Earthpower then gives E3A1 - and if you have gems to burn, the shugenja can boost himself to E4A1 for repeat casts. With this, one in four of your cheap, buildable-anywhere mages can slaughter dozens of enemy mages and rout an entire army by himself. An A2 shugenja can mistform himself or Cloud Trapeze, and if by some chance you can cast Fog Warriors, you can now use this in conjunction with armies.

2: Indy crossbowmen. In the LA, indy crossbow provinces are abundant. If you went with good Order/Production scales, or place your other fortresses carefully, you can recruit huge forces of crossbowmen to supplement or replace samurai archers. If you have a F2 mage cast flaming arrows, you can now rival Marignon in a shoot-out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mind Elemental For This Useful Post:
Old October 17th, 2008, 06:56 PM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

It seems to me that Gift of Flight might be the critical short term goal for Jomon. Support your infantry with mages, and have them attack rear quickly...
Old October 17th, 2008, 07:56 PM

Sergeant

Poopsi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Tifone - I wouldn't want to spend much on kit for assassins: you have other priorities for your gems. However, an ethereal crossbow or a bow of war can be pretty deadly with a prec. of 14, and both of them are only 5 gems (3 with a dwarven hammer). Of course both of these are Construction 6. Before that your best bet is probably Longbow of Accuracy.
If you have a death pretender, why not summon some revenants and have them craft skull talismans for your assasins? It´s not like those are ultimate weapons, but they do work fairly well
Old October 17th, 2008, 08:43 PM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

I made a bear claw to get extra range and damage on the shuriken. But for some reason ninjas with a bear claw decide to melee instead of throwing the shuriken first.

Further testing: placing the ninja all the way to the left with fire orders and giving him a bear claw works pretty well! Not exactly the most efficient use of gems, but good for some fun.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?

Last edited by vfb; October 17th, 2008 at 08:47 PM..
Old October 17th, 2008, 09:28 PM

First Lieutenant

sum1lost is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfb View Post
I made a bear claw to get extra range and damage on the shuriken. But for some reason ninjas with a bear claw decide to melee instead of throwing the shuriken first.

Further testing: placing the ninja all the way to the left with fire orders and giving him a bear claw works pretty well! Not exactly the most efficient use of gems, but good for some fun.
Why not boots of giant strength?
Old October 17th, 2008, 09:34 PM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

Sure, but they need const2. You can build a bear claw at turn 5, or earlier if you get gem events.

I suppose it could be worth it for Jomon to research const2 first, if you want to set up an early fetish factory.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
Old April 22nd, 2010, 07:59 AM

First Lieutenant

Makinus is on a distinguished road

Necromanthic post:

I know that this thread is very old, but instead of creating a new one i think that i would post here my recent experiences with Jomon.

I think i found a good strategy to, in the early game, compensate for the weak jomon defense against archers:

Recruit Monks of the Fivefold paths and use the ones with Air magic to protect your troops. The special spell of the Air monk protect the troops from missiles (beyond giving a small bost in morale) so park 2 or 3 of these monks behind your troops casting the "sign"...
Old April 22nd, 2010, 08:24 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

The issue is that just to have 2 or 3 of these monks, which is only enough to cover one army, you need to have recruited a lot of the buggers. And generally they aren't that great.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 08:56 AM

Major General

Baalz will become famous soon enough

Jomon got a bunch of new units in a patch that significantly open up their flexibility. They're a pretty powerful underwater nation now including underwater PD which is pretty rare, and they've got several different land summons that really change how they play (in a good way)
Old April 23rd, 2010, 11:56 PM

Corporal

Pablomatic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baalz View Post
Jomon got a bunch of new units in a patch that significantly open up their flexibility. They're a pretty powerful underwater nation now including underwater PD which is pretty rare, and they've got several different land summons that really change how they play (in a good way)
I'm anxiously awaiting the Baalz guide to Jomon! I really want to hear what your devious use of the sacred dragon mages jomon can recruit underwater.