.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 7th, 2006, 01:29 AM

First Lieutenant

Corwin is on a distinguished road
Default Small feature request for the next patch

First of all - congratulations to Illwinter. So far I am having fantastic time with this game. Great job guys!

I would like to ask about possibility of including very simple, but very usefull feature in the next patch.

The addition of different AIs personalities (in addition to difficulty levels) is a fantastic addition for SP players, it alllows much more customization, and I greatly appreciate it.

The "Random" choice is also very good addition to the game, since it adds some unpredictibility and suspension to the SP games.

But I would like to ask if you could add small feature to the next patch, which would allow players to exclude one of the 3 possible choices from "Random AI", so AI would be choosen out of 2 possible temperament settings instead of 3.

It will be *very* usefull for some players, who, for example, would be looking for challenging SP game, and don't want to find themself in the situation somewhere in the corner, surrounded by "Defensive AIs", which would probably simply leave the player alone as long as he has PD and few troops on the border, and does not attack them.

That's not the situation that some people would like to find themself in, but with current total randomness it is possible.

Now if Random AI would be choosen between "Normal" and "Agressive", it would still preserve the suspense of not knowing who is your neigbor, but it would remove "Defensive AIs" from the game, providing better challenge to players who wants it.

It's a small change, but it would certainly be very usefull addition for some SP players, myself included.

Johan, Kristoffer, what do you guys think?

And thanks again for improving already great game even more. That's the first time in my life that I've pre-ordered the game without waiting for reviews or word of mouth, and needless to say I have no regrets, quite an opposite.
Old October 7th, 2006, 07:15 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Small feature request for the next patch

Welcome to the forums, Korvin! This idea is one of the many expressed lately. You might want to move it to one of the two "feature requests" threads.

There is already at least one workaround:
Wouldn't it be easier to put in some normal, some aggressive, and some random nations? Like, playing against 4 AIs, 1 neutral and 1 aggressive would make pretty sure that you won't besurrounded by two defensive AIs. It only works if the nations are random, of course.
Old October 7th, 2006, 11:03 AM

First Lieutenant

Corwin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Small feature request for the next patch

Thank you.

The problem is that, as you said, suck workaround would only work with random nations. If you prefer to select nations manually, than it will not wotk.

And in SP you very often want to specify which nations you want to include. For example, I never play with Ermor (AE/SG) or with Mictlan. Ermor AE/SG AI become too powerfull and swallow all others AIs. And with Mictlan it is an opposite - AI doesn't understand how to handle blood-dependant nation, so it always loses to other AIs quickly.