This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old May 16th, 2006, 01:31 PM

Corporal

Nightblade is on a distinguished road
Default Incredible good luck , or gameplay change ?

Hello,

i setup, mostly to test the window version of SP:WW2 on my computer, a quick battle in 1000 BP on a small 40x40 map USA vs Germany in 1946.

The game ended after +/-20 turns on a decisive victory for me with the USA.
That surprised me a bit as i was expecting more difficulties in the urban map that was generated, but happy accidents can happen but i was frankly surprised by the real carnage my soldiers made on the incoming german squads

Each turn one of my squad opened fire it was at least 3/4 kills/casualties in the targeted enemy, routing them at each turn a firefight occured.

That was a surprise for me, as i remembered the last SP:MBT quick battle some days ago, in which it seemed my "modern" squads were not able to hit anything even at 3/4 hexagons of distance during more than 15 turns.

At the end of the SP:WW2 test game, i had just lost a squad and a jeep (actually i lost them because of mortar fire, the german squads never forced any of mine to even retreat) while the german had 5 tanks burning and at least 10 destroyed squads and mortars positions in ruins (i don't know for the position i flooded with artillery shells ) .

So was it the first time i was really and incredibly lucky in the SP serie, or is there a real gameplay change in WW2 that makes the units more accurate in their shots (or less resistant to bullets) ?

A second observation :
In SP:MBT a pinned enemy squad usually returned fire often and had some opportunity shots when i moved some units . In my test battle in SP:WW2 , that happened a lot less often, and i was able to move units some hexagons from an enemy that was just "pinned" without it having some extra opportunity fires.
So second question : is the "pinned" situation that affect squads being fired at a lot more effective than in SP:MBT ?
Old May 16th, 2006, 01:40 PM

Captain

narwan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Incredible good luck , or gameplay change ?

Yes and no.

There's a wide range of actual supression behind the 'pinned' status and it's that suppresion figure more than the status that affects a squads responses.
In WinSPWW2 they'll be more likely to be at the high end of that range when pinned. Or better put, in WinSPMBT they'll tend to be more on the low end of that range. That has to do with added suppression from direct fire at a unit. In MBT that was rather low, in WW2 it isn't anymore. So in MBT firing at a pinned squad doesn't add that much extra suppression while in WW2 it does. Which means that in WW2 pinned units willtend to have more suppression and hence less OP shots, etc.

Narwan
Old May 16th, 2006, 01:47 PM

Colonel

Pyros is on a distinguished road

Hi,

In general, ONLY the direct fire in conjunction with a blast radius will inflict more casualties than it used to do in the WinSPMBT engine; due to some minor modifications in the code.

This has also affected the effectiveness of Z-fire.

cheers,
Pyros
Old May 16th, 2006, 02:22 PM

Sergeant

Smersh is on a distinguished road

I've noticed this too. I regulary take casualties from infantry fire, at 500m, I don't remember this happening to often in MBT.
Although I found infantry to tough in MBT, I have inf. tough set at 90 or 95.
Old May 18th, 2006, 12:12 AM

Corporal

Nightblade is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply, so it was not just an "incredible luck"
Actually, i think it is a very nice gameplay change, as it forces you to make more carefull choice in the strategy you apply to your troops, a firefight being more lethal.

Quote:
Good idea i have never thought about this setting, i was sometime frustrated by the lack of loss in a very close firefight, that should solve the problem.

I guess i will have to test this setting with SP:WW2 too, as long distance engagements may sometime be a bit too lethal now for my liking (when it favours the enemy troops )
Old May 18th, 2006, 01:40 AM

Major

Marek_Tucan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Smersh said:
I've noticed this too. I regulary take casualties from infantry fire, at 500m, I don't remember this happening to often in MBT.
Contrary I have set the toughness to 150 in MBT