.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old November 16th, 2009, 03:25 PM

Private

Mojo the Avenger is on a distinguished road
Default N/A

No text

Last edited by Mojo the Avenger; December 24th, 2022 at 03:07 PM..
Old November 16th, 2009, 03:37 PM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mojo's EA Abysia Guide

You'd probably be better off getting devil commanders by casting horde from hell instead of spending nature gems on them.
Old November 16th, 2009, 03:43 PM

Private

That's possible, and if you decide you want to cast rejuvenate instead of build boots of youth it's the faster option.

Horde from Hell is at Blood 5, if you go to Construction 6 then you're at Blood 0. It takes a lot longer to get to from Blood 0 to Blood 5 than from Thaum 2 to Thaum 4.

Not to mention 44 blood slaves is a lot, and 15 nature gems isn't so bad.

Depends on your research.
Old November 16th, 2009, 03:52 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

I'm not familiar enough with Abysia to really address this, so just a couple of thoughts:

Astral bless doesn't help your Annointed's mr. The boost from the bless caps at 18, which you already have.

The Devil from Hordes From Hell is a commander, so that may be a more cost effective way to get them than GoR. Blood slaves are cheaper than gems.

Another brutal tactic I got hit with was Demonbred with 2 Lifelong Protections. Relatively cheap and easy, stealthy flying raiders. 2 of them can take out most PD and many thugs. It's very hard to kill 8 imps a turn. Just give them a cheap ranged item (Scepter?) so they don't close. Regular assassins would work too, just less mobile.
Regular assassins can
Old November 16th, 2009, 04:00 PM

Private

Ah yeah For some reason I thought they had less. It still helps your anathemants and burning ones though. I'll edit that.
Old November 16th, 2009, 05:05 PM

Major

Micah is on a distinguished road

I'm not so sure of the wisdom in favoring old, weak, cap only mages that you have to build a blood economy around (in death dominion, no less) over the pwnage that comes from anointed and burning ones, which both benefit a great deal from the same bless.

Additionally, any guide that suggests indiscriminately bumping PD up to 20 reeks of SP. Also, blood saccing with those scales and pushing dom is a questionable strategy in terms of pissing off your neighbors. Also, what is the Kindly Ones doing in there? I'm pretty sure they'll target your own guys, though I haven't tested that.
Old November 16th, 2009, 05:19 PM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

Kindly ones will infact target your own mages, although popular wisdom holds they do not.
Old November 16th, 2009, 06:27 PM

Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah View Post
I'm not so sure of the wisdom in favoring old, weak, cap only mages that you have to build a blood economy around (in death dominion, no less) over the pwnage that comes from anointed and burning ones, which both benefit a great deal from the same bless.

Additionally, any guide that suggests indiscriminately bumping PD up to 20 reeks of SP. Also, blood saccing with those scales and pushing dom is a questionable strategy in terms of pissing off your neighbors. Also, what is the Kindly Ones doing in there? I'm pretty sure they'll target your own guys, though I haven't tested that.

Quote:
You need 3-4 Warlocks with boots of youth and SDRs blood hunting.
How is that favoring Warlocks? It works out to 3-4 warlocks and a whole game of Annointeds, plus communions of salamanders that you can build out of any castle, not just your capital. I forgot to mention that though, should edit.

I know 20 PD reeks of single player, and I was hesitant to say anything about PD except that Abysia has the best. So I decided to try it in the game I'm in now. I know common wisdom is that you only want a few points of PD in any provice except the important ones. Thing is, in the game I'm in now, my PD just killed (not routed) my neighbors SC pretender. Decisively.

You could make the argument that some provinces just aren't worth defending, but in a Turmoil/Luck dominion, the more provinces you have, the more opportunities you have for lucky events.

As far as The Kindly Ones, I guess I just got lucky with it. I only used it a few times, and I don't remember losing any of my own dudes. Will edit.

Edit: about dominion and blood sacrificing. Your dominion is a weapon. You have to use it properly. If you choose to run up to your ally's border and build temples and start blood sacrificing your dominion into his territory that's your own fault.
Old November 16th, 2009, 08:36 PM

Major

Micah is on a distinguished road

Oh, PD is excellent, it was the blanket statement that I took issue with.

"The long and short of it is that every turn you have 65 blood slaves you want to recruit a Warlock Apprentice and forge a Soul Contract." is not 3-4 warlocks and the rest anointed. Plus you said 6 demonbred assassins to start. Regardless, not taking a strong E bless really neuters the anointed in terms of effectiveness. And of course you devote way more space in your guide to warlocks and blood than anointed, so I figured you were featuring more than 3-4 of them. The way I'd play aby would focus on the anointed with the warlocks as a helpful sideshow, but that's just me.
Old November 16th, 2009, 08:45 PM

First Lieutenant

Illuminated One is on a distinguished road

One of the really cool spells that is hard to use is Flame Eruption. 26 AP damage over 15 squares but the low range necessitates to get very close.
Annointed with Winged Boots and Misbred bodyguard?