.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old February 5th, 2007, 05:01 AM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Small suggestions for the next patch

Flagelants are somewhat okay troops, but they usually die quickly even on the side with attack rear. It's too bad 95% of them have afflictions because I always seperate the diseased and battle fright ones from the others which takes a good chunk of time when 55 suddenly appear.
Old February 5th, 2007, 09:58 AM

Sergeant

Nick_K is on a distinguished road

For throwaway troops like flagellants, diseased really isn't that big a deal. Crippled and lame are much worse...
Old February 6th, 2007, 05:08 AM

First Lieutenant

PhilD is on a distinguished road

NTjedi, you do know that if you just select one of them and hit 'w', this will select all those with afflictions, right?

Now, of course if you want to separate them based on what afflictions they have, it will certainly take more time.
Old February 6th, 2007, 06:53 AM

Captain

Twan is on a distinguished road

I think a dismiss option isn't a good idea. It would change far too many things affecting balance (importance of afflictions, starving, diseases, aging, summons not asking for money, ability to reorganize your empire when you have a new war to deal with).

If something is to be changed to reduce the "lack of dismiss button feeling" I think it's events (ie : no event giving troops without a leader, far less militia events, more events giving average/good troops or troops not asking for money instead).
Old February 6th, 2007, 08:44 AM

Sergeant

mathusalem is on a distinguished road

and a shortcut for "forge montly" like the ctrl+M will also be great and very useful.
Old February 19th, 2007, 10:56 PM

Lieutenant General

Xietor is on a distinguished road

1. A summon hero spell

2. I would like a choice of at least 2 heroic abilities when one of my commanders goes into the hall of fame. A heroic ability should never be a bad thing, but obesity with extra encumbrance is bad for a pure caster. Or limit obesity to pure melee.

3. An in game help menu where you can type in "shield" "death weapon" etc. and get detailed information of the topic.

4. Let over points when making your pretender: There should be some items that cost 5 points each. So when you are left with 25 points you can spend them somewhere. Maybe 5 points increases chance your heroes appear by 1 percent, or increase number of short bows in your castle defense, or increase the number of people in your starting province by 500. Something.
Old February 20th, 2007, 04:01 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

1) This would be nice.

2) Bullcrap. They get what heroics they get and that's that. If it's not directly useful in optimally boosting the hero, too bad. He's a hero, but he might be most famous for something not actually related to his main occupation (e.g. mages with heroic strength). Otherwise I'd want 3rd Eye for all of my mages and either Heroic Agility or Awe for all of my other heroes.

3) No. The manual is there for a reason and we don't actually need things that encourage piracy, which is what a Civilopedia type help system would do.

4) This is something that has been discussed and it would be nice to have some small bonus from the leftover points.

Edi
Old February 20th, 2007, 12:11 PM

Lieutenant General

Xietor is on a distinguished road

The in game help would be nice, but i was not thinking of piracy issues. just making play more convenient.

DOM III is one of the best strat games ever. MOO II was right there also. But, the one thing I think could add a lot more to the game is having heroes that can be customized a bit. Yes, you can give a bane lord a fiery sword, a shield that gives him a flame shield, boots quickness, trinkets for luck and regeneration, and he will cut stuff down with impunity.

But, it would add some rpg element if heroes could be built up in a heroes of might and magic sense. With certain exp comes choices for new heroic abilities. Also maybe even a smaller type boost for regular troops that perform heroically. I know they get experience boost, but it would be cool to give them a bronze, silver, and gold star also for kills etc.

The game is awesome as is. And it may be too hard to implement changes of this magnitude.

But at a min., I think adding more heroes to each race, and
making them worthwhile to get, would add more flavor. And I do not think heroes should show up old. Unless they tell battle stories that boost morale or something.
Old February 20th, 2007, 12:18 PM

Sergeant

Nick_K is on a distinguished road

I agree that in game help is important. It can be dramatically more convenient than a printed manual, especially for newcomers to the series who want to just jump in and play.
Old February 20th, 2007, 12:38 PM

Second Lieutenant

Manuk is on a distinguished road

in-game help pop ut with left click on something. Is somewhat intuitive because previous games of other companies had the same system of help.