.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old November 14th, 2009, 09:56 AM

Corporal

binarysolo is on a distinguished road
Default Any way to edit the .2h file...

... to undo one move? I spent the past 3 hours carefully scripting my armies and communions in the conquest of vast lands and at the very end decided it was a GREAT idea to sort through my inventory by throwing everything onto a reserve SC (who has the most slots available in my entire army) behind my lines.

Naturally, in accordance with Murphy's Law, I end up sticking a cursed item on him. One that I definitely don't want on him.

Is there any way for me to edit the .2h file somehow and parse things, use an editor, or what not, or do I have to redo my entire turn again? I tried looking through the forums and I couldn't find anything about this.

Slightly along the same vein of thought... is there any way to sort items in your inventory without moving it onto a commander? I guess I'm slightly OCD about it and want to sort it out so swords are in a row, armor in another, etc etc. Or at least put all the cursed items in a row so I don't touch 'em.
Old November 14th, 2009, 10:02 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Any way to edit the .2h file...

Short Answer: NO

Longer Answer: Its a computer. Nothing is impossible. The term "impossible" is just computer tech jargon meaning "yeah we can but its probably more trouble than its worth".

There is code to READ a .2h file written in C. People have wisely avoided experimentation with editing it (or at least posting about it). We have had one person accused of cheating by editing files and he is shunned from the community.

All I can advise is making backups before each turn. There are examples and code available for that. If you are a windows user then maybe the desktop shortcut of mine would help for avoiding this in the future.
Its in the "Utilities" section of my site
http://www.Dom3Minions.com
Old November 14th, 2009, 10:12 AM

Corporal

binarysolo is on a distinguished road

Yeah that's kinda what I figured.

And FWIW, I don't need backup utilities, since I just have gmail archive all my llamaserver turns, but thanks anyways (unless I misunderstood what that utility's for...)
Old November 14th, 2009, 10:34 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

No thats right. The backup utils are mostly for solo play or direct-connect games.
I didnt realize it was a pbem game. That is one of the advantages of dom3 in pbem, automatic backups.
Old November 15th, 2009, 08:20 PM

First Lieutenant

Illuminated One is on a distinguished road

Make backups while you do the turn.
I always sort stuff first, then exit and save the files into a subfolder called sorted. Then I do all the other things connected to another area (military buildup, economic buildup, actual attacks) and save every time.
Also when you hit E the stuff you have done is saved and you can always do a few orders, end turn, do the next few orders.
Then when you make a stupid mistake and spot it you can quit without saving and go back to a fairly new save.
Old November 16th, 2009, 09:43 AM

Captain

Quitti is on a distinguished road

When I do my turns, I do stuff, hit end turn, open it again and do the rest of it. Depending a bit on how complex the turn is of course, for the first 20-30 turns I rarely save it while doing, and increasingly after that. Probably usually around three times for the games which are basically about to end sooner than later. So if I make a mistake, I can just copy the 2h out of the savegame folder or quit without saving and continue from where I left last time.