.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old October 14th, 2003, 03:28 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Gandalf\'s not-so-random Maps

Wow beginning to feel like I might just continue playing all the different maps I have by myself. Not much reaction for anything. At the moment Im having fun with "Fast Start" and "Blind Luck" which I will mention in the Random Circus thread.

Well here are some that I dont really enjoy but stumbled onto the ability to do it while messing with the other stuff in Dom 1.

Hard Luck: Everyone starts in one province. No starting troops at all, no pretender, and only 12000 population. If your pretender is central to your strategy then you will need to raise him.

Hard Hunt: same as above but add to that the special sites giving you gems and special units are gone from your home province. In order for your old strategy to work you will be hard pressed to find replacements for what you lost.

No Pretenders: Everyone gets assigned some generic infantry as their pretender. No magic, nothing. They will get and give dominion boosts but thats it. Basically a really low-level prophet.

Hard Twist: I havent decided what all to put in this. Its is another hard strategy-killing game for those who feel that they need new twists. Instead of removing the special sites that give gems and special units, I removed all the other units. Whatever your race-specific sites give you is all you get to make in your home province. You wont get the rest until you get a castle.

[ October 14, 2003, 16:26: Message edited by: Gandalf Parker ]
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old October 14th, 2003, 03:35 PM

Sergeant

MythicalMino is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Gandalf\'s not-so-random Maps

well....what types of maps are they?

I mean, are there "strategic chokepoints"? impassable terrain? I would like maps like that atually, that makes some provinces strategically important

wanna check out a great Cards & Dice game? www.gwfwrestling.com/home.htm

I only know one language: Hillbilly

Your mileage may vary, but mine always stays the same
Old October 15th, 2003, 02:00 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Gandalf\'s not-so-random Maps

Quote:
Originally posted by cpbeller:
well....what types of maps are they?

I mean, are there "strategic chokepoints"? impassable terrain? I would like maps like that atually, that makes some provinces strategically important
I love those types of maps also. Its why I randomly generate fresh batchs of sm/med/lg maps every day on my site. I love having to play against the strategic variants. The kinds of scripts I talk about in the random circus thread are as much like that as I can find because the randomness means that if you get a really impossible arrangment, you can just start again for a new set and maybe better luck.

For these, the not-so-random scripts, I try harder not to land someone in an impossible start. The TGA's I pick for this have less possible deadends in them.

Of course anyone could use it as a springboard and modify it. I have no problem with that. I just dont have the patienct to manually create a downloadable map. And it sounds like with Dom 2 I might fall out completely since it seems to require even more to be done manually with no forgiveness in the game. I was hoping the game would do more along the line of "if its not in the .map file I will make a good judgement" but they went the other way.

[ October 15, 2003, 13:02: Message edited by: Gandalf Parker ]
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)