.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old February 24th, 2007, 03:05 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Nation(s): Exile/Avernum

Thank you for getting permission on the use of the graphics.
I would hate to have pulled the mod since it seems popular.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old February 24th, 2007, 03:28 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

It's cool. I'm happier with Spiderweb being informed about it too.
Old March 14th, 2007, 07:33 AM

BANNED USER

Update to version 0.8 imminent. The update makes the usual stat changes, seeks better balance and most importantly adds 6 national summons.

As with Vaettihiem if you want anything new added or changed now would be the time to say something. I've played this mod a lot recently and it's still the best thing I've done in my opinion. It really does add a whole lot of stuff (much like Amos' mods) and it's feeling balanced (although it's a strong nation for sure).
Old March 15th, 2007, 12:13 PM

BANNED USER

New version is up. Comments not only appreciated, but expected ;]

Especially you Bandarlover -shakes fist-
Old March 15th, 2007, 08:57 PM

Sergeant

BandarLover is on a distinguished road

O.k. O.K. Sombre. I'll certainly get to it.

I've got a lot on my plate lately (real life wise) so I've been lucky just to play my turns on the MP games I got going on.

But as soon as I get the opportunity I'll play this and give you my thoughts. Though I'm not exactly sure why my thoughts are so important since I know next to nothing balance-wise.
Old March 17th, 2007, 08:33 AM

Private

aku666 is on a distinguished road

Why nearly all of normal units are old? I don't recall Avernum being a nation of old people and what ruler would make a regiment out of 68 year old archers? Stevie Wonder would shoot better. If that was meant to be a way to balance things then it's a wrong way IMHO.

BTW this mod conflicts with Sylvania mod.
Old March 17th, 2007, 09:48 AM

BANNED USER

First - It doesn't really conflict with Sylvania because Sylvania is a LA nation and this is a MA nation. There's no reason to have them both on at the same time.

Second - Age should work fine as long as you have 3.06 installed. Since that's the latest version, that's the standard version my mods work with. I don't believe anyone with 3.06 installed would have this problem.
Old March 17th, 2007, 02:43 PM

Second Lieutenant

Wauthan is on a distinguished road

I finally got around to test this wonderful mod. I've no experience of Avernum though, so I take my comments with a pinch of salt.

1. The Vahnatai warrior has a suspiciously shorter life expectancy compared to the other Vahnatai units. Is this intended?

2. All your casters got higher attack, strength and defense then mages in other nations. I assume this is because of the setting?

3. The Avernite Mage is a bit of an oddity compared to the other casters. I found little use for her. The Nephil Shaman is a much better researcher (holy ability makes him much cheaper in upkeep). And all the other mages are more competent in battle. I'm not sure how to make this unit more attractive without breaking the theme. But you could perhaps give her access to all paths of magic, as per the units description, or make her the "General" unit with a higher command ability (normal or magic units).

4. Why do the Slith units and the Vahnatai Soulguard have mapmove 1? I assume this is because the Slith are sluggish lizards (though that isn't explained) but why is the unarmored Soulguard such a slowpoke? I reckon it's because their reluctance to leave the ancestors unguarded or because they are not trained to make long marches.

5. Avernum is a nation that lives under the ground, but can't see in the dark. In my game I started out next to Agartha and promtly lost my capital due to my own forces fighting blind in their own home. (I still beat the snot out of Agartha though, but that's not the point)

6. The Avernite Guard could use a bit little more oomph to set him apart from independent infantery. He looks like he's using a wall shield instead of a kite shield, and his helmet looks more like a half helmet instead of an iron cap. Then again if these guys become better protected you need to cut down on the PD. Makes sense to me though. These guys wouldn't have the numbers to field large defensive armies outside their home province.

7. Your choice of sacred units is nothing short of pure evil. These guys practically shout "Water 9 blessing, dammit!" but the Soulguard works so darn well with Gift of Health that it brings tears to my eyes. So of course you made the nature blessing completely redundant. Kudos to you for a great balancing move.

That's all for now. Expect more feedback as I make my way through early game. The units look so good that congratulations for an excellent crossgame transfer is in order.
Old March 17th, 2007, 03:11 PM

BANNED USER

Ah, I greatly appreciate the comments! :]

1. The Vahnatai warriors have standard Vahn hp of 8. The problem is that next to the 12hp regenerating soulguard (a result of their connection to the crystals) they seem very fragile. They are certainly a weaker unit and a hard pick with SG available,.. however they are much cheaper and can do just as much damage in the right circumstances. They also have mapmove 2 and aren't cap only. I'll do more tests, maybe make them a little cheaper (or SG more expensive).

2. Partly because of the setting, partly because I didn't do my research when I first put the values in. It doesn't make a lot of ingame difference, but I might change it. Well spotted.

3. I might well drop the cost. I like the random picks as they are (no blood here, astral is Vahn territory). I could also give them ldr40. It's also possible the nephil shaman is a bit too good.

4. You got it right. Soulguard don't like to leave the soul chamber far behind and Slith just aren't much for marching around. Both units are nasty enough that it's worth the wait though.

5. Yes, I just realised this. Problem is you can't mod darkvision. Until it's possible, I should probably give them a different home fort.

6. Good suggestions. I'll go with them. Avernum's PD is already pretty crappy though, all things considered.

7. I went with an astral/air bless on them once, which made them much less fragile, but the MR was sort of wasted and I had to send my crystal pretender to sleep, which wasn't the smartest move. Avernum is a nation that isn't a /clear/ bless candidate, but it is very tempting, especially with the crystal pretender (which might still be too good for the cost).

I'd like to hear your opinion on the trog summons. In my tests they ended up mangling the hell out of everything, but now I might have somewhat nerfed them.
Old March 17th, 2007, 04:26 PM

Second Lieutenant

Wauthan is on a distinguished road

1. Errh... Regarding the Vahnatai Warriors my intended meaning was about them growing old at an earlier age (50 years) compared to other Vahnatai (350 years), not their survivability on the battlefield. Poor choice of words on my part. (I actually found that they last a lot longer then the soulguard thanks to their missiles killing of a few units before meele).

3. Don't drop the cost. 90 gold is actually too cheap. After playing a bit longer my suggestion is to increase to cost to 125 gold and increase the chance of random magic to 70% and 50%. Also I recommend that you let the first random pick include death and nature as well as the elementals. This means that with enough "gambling" I can score 3 nature or 3 death magic on one of them. That's enough create boosting items and then go for the global enchantments. This change will make Avernum one of the most flexible nations around.

6. The PD is actually pretty good. Beats the freaking snot out of both Machaka and Mictlan. The Nephil Braves die by default though. Might want to change the "Elite PD" to either Nephil Archers or Nephil Warriors.

7. Yeah it's very tempting to choose the unique pretender. The 4 astral picks feel a bit restricted though. Why not 1 Water, 1 Earth and 1 Astral with 80 point buy for other paths? Great triple whammo bless pretender and it follows the Shapers picks.

Haven't tried the unique summons yet since I'm going for Achasic Record first. It's basicly free with enough Crystal Souls around. Why are Crystal Souls subject to old age at 1200 years by the way? They're basicly rocks and oughto "live" forever.