.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 8th, 2009, 01:00 PM

Private

Beasley is on a distinguished road
Default Help on SC's

It's been awhile since playing, but wondered generally what equipment was generally considered viable for SC's, and how SC dynamics have changed since Dom2.

For equipment, I used to use blood thorns for my rank and file thugs/SC's but read somewhere that their reinvigoration and life drain dynamics were changed. Beyond that, I figure it's lucky pendant/lucky coin for luck (critical), antimagic amulet, starshine skullcap, and ring of regen as basics. Boots of the messenger have been thrown out as great for reinvig, but I'd be tempted to take boots of flying, especially for Earth magic thugs/SC's who can substitute summon earthpower for the same effect. What about armor - is robe of etherealness or etherealness in general worth a salt? Is there a good combo to get protection over 30 (and does this matter, say, against high strength units who hit like bricks)? Any other must have items to mix in?

For the dynamics, I am aware that defense became less critical since it gets knocked down by 2(?) for each attacker in a given round, meaning hordes of small guys are going to get through. Presumably luck and maybe etherealness come in to play, but so does high protection and parry values. Has this materially changed SC strategies in ways not reflected in the equipment mix questions above?

Thanks for the primer in advance. I do realize some chassis are much better than others, and am targeting this towards mid-level chassis (EA purchasables like Niefels, ice/arch/helio devils, etc)... at least I think these are "mid-level". I'd also love to get a perspective on SC/thug applications in the answer e.g. A is good for PD of any kind, but B is what you want if you want to smash small-mid raiding forces.
Old October 8th, 2009, 03:19 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help on SC's

Yeah lifedraing is capped now. Dont recall what it is exactly since I dont use it too much these days. I think you can rely on it to heal some few hp per round and some light battle fatigue but it wont make your guy an unstoppable powerhouse like back in Dom2.

If you are going up against mobs, you are correct that defense is not as valuable. Generally speaking you will want to focus on luck, awe, eth, etc to prevent getting hit and/or strong prot to prevent damage. Remember to use 0-enc units or have some reinvig tho - if you get fatigued your armor will not be worth much anymore.

As for PD thugging, its not that complex. A Fire/Frost brand, some solid protection/hp, and a luck amulet is enough to defeat most nations PD. Alternatively, you could go the Fear/Awe combo which is pretty effective given that rout == death for PD.

Spells for thugs/SCs are pretty much the same as dom2. Mirror Image, Mistform, Invulnerability, Iron Will, etc. Quickness is fine for 0-enc but debatable for others.

One last point about Defense skill - while its not very valuable against mobs - you ignore it at your own risk. Having low defense skill will open you up to attacks from Anti-SCs.
Old October 8th, 2009, 04:46 PM

BANNED USER

Omnirizon is on a distinguished road

there is a thread around here somewhere, check the strategy index.

for me, I focus on getting the best SC with the cheapest/least equipment. I like cheap SC chassis which already have some decent equipment/abilities, and give them the minimal extra stuff. I prefer an SC that I can get for, say, 10 gems, and equip it with another 15 or so gems.

Most people would call that a 'thug' and not an SC, but the difference is not worth making to me. Dominions 3, after all, is a war of attrition, and typically an 80 gem SC kitted out with 50 more gems worth of stuff will lose against just a couple of thugs kitted especially to counter him. If you are equipping thugs in cheap but specialized manner, then you will have enough gems to keep your laboratory stocked with whatever you might need, and enough thugs to equip one most anytime you need it.
Old October 8th, 2009, 08:03 PM

First Lieutenant

Agema is on a distinguished road

I'd be REALLY careful about ethereality.

It makes you kick *** against most basic units. However, magic weapons and attacks make ethereal useless. A unit with ethereal and low protection is likely to be slaughtered by thugs or basic units with magic weapons, or good Evocation spells. It's a nice spell for an astral mage against the right opponent, but equipping an item that grants it instead of decent armour is generally not a good idea.
Old October 9th, 2009, 06:27 AM

Major General

Taqwus is on a distinguished road

Life draining cap is based on only draining for the first 5hp or so, IIRC -- for weapons. Spell/innate 'life drain' weapon unaffected, so Soul Vortex is still gravy (against anything living, anyway).

Many buffs have been changed to have drawbacks. Invulnerability gives you poison vulnerability for one example, IIRC. Stoneskin opens you up to Cold. That sort of thing.

Glamour has been toned down vs. missile weapons. Helpful to know if you were planning on building a homicidal Allfather or so forth.

One thing to watch out for is 'small squad' morale checks.

There's also somewhat more counters to sacred units. Watch out for Ulm's Black Halberds, for instance. Some units have 'Halt Sacred' weapons. Apostasy exists for MA Ermor to convert them.

Horror-marking accumulates. Just keep that in mind if you like to play with those toys.

End game, I don't recall Banish to Inferno or Claws of Cocytus being in Dom II. Or 'Life for a Life', for that matter. Nasty spells to against powerful and non-numerous enemies, the lot of them.