.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 19th, 2009, 01:04 AM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Movement Bug: An Arguement Against MP?

the spies bit could well be true - it seems to fit.
Old October 19th, 2009, 07:09 AM

Captain

Psycho is on a distinguished road

Like I wrote in another thread recently, I found out that two armies moving into each other can block out each other, so that neither moves. Whether it is a bug I do not know.
Old October 19th, 2009, 12:25 PM

Corporal

binarysolo is on a distinguished road

FWIW, I had some scouts in the capital too, though they got killed by patrolling Fomorians.

This makes me want to do some movement testing, though lemme see what other people have already done so I don't reinvent the wheel...
Old October 19th, 2009, 03:41 PM

Major

Fantomen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiel View Post
Finally, my intended victim has confirmed that he did attempt to attack my province from the target province and he was confused about why his armies didn't attack.
I think this is the explanation in this case. I have seen this many times. Two armies attacking each other obviously has a chance to cancel each others movement.
Old October 19th, 2009, 04:15 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

Yeah I think it happens a lot in SP because the AI just throws crap at you every turn. It's a bit sad that their army of 14 random chaffy guys can cause your larger elite troop force to sit still for a turn.

However I also think there's a move bug, in addition to that. Because I've had it happen when moving to an empty province.
Old October 19th, 2009, 07:39 PM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiel View Post
Finally, my intended victim has confirmed that he did attempt to attack my province from the target province and he was confused about why his armies didn't attack.
I think this is the explanation in this case. I have seen this many times. Two armies attacking each other obviously has a chance to cancel each others movement.
By "cancel each others movement" do you mean "cancel the movement of both armies"? When that occurs, it's the movement bug.

But like Sombre says, any piddly little army moving from A->B can stop the movement of a big army moving from B->A, if there is just one fight occurring in B. Each army has a chance to cancel the other's movement, by successfully moving into the other's province. If the turn resolves, and the big army stayed in B and the little army stayed in A, and everyone just sat around drinking tea and looking at flowers, that's the movement bug.

I also agree that the movement bug can rear its ugly head even when there is no visible enemy army, and it also shows up when there is an enemy army that does not have orders to move anywhere.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
Old October 19th, 2009, 07:57 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

I'd love to see a debug log of this bug. I may have to start playing my SP games with save game tool so I can try to rehost with debug on if it happens.

I was looking at the debug log in another thread about movement order but I haven't been able to generate the bug. I did get the case where the armies miss each other. Normally there's a "Move interrupted from x to y" line, but that didn't appear when they missed. I'm curious what it looks like when neither moves.