.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old February 12th, 2009, 01:29 PM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road
Default Mapped spell flightsprites and explsprites

I've mapped the explsprites and spell flightsprites. They both go from 10001 to 10257. Effect numbers under 10001 seem to produce nothing and numbers above 10258 produce a "few black smoke" - effect. The list is an excel chart and that's the only way I can give it. I've got no other chart programs.

What's odd thought, is that I was unable to find the #flightsprites for Blade wind and flying shards, all effects I discovered are more or less uncorporeal fixations of lights.

The block of text is pretty stunning, so that if you're searching for a specific type of effect, you should try to search the document for some keywords (like "Green", "Rising", "Massive" for those epic spells).

If you are trying to find just the right animation for your spell, You'll probably have to try out more than 1 canditate. Easiest way to view them in-game is to copy the following into your mod.
Quote:
#newspell
#name "Show Me Sprites"
#descr "This is a test spell to view spell flight and expl sprites"
#school 0
#path 0 8
#pathlevel 0 1
#fatiguecost 0
#damage 5
#aoe 3
#nreff 1
#range 50
#precision 30
#effect 2
#spec 128
#flightspr X
#explspr Y
#researchlevel 0
#end
It is a holy 1 conjuration damage spell. X is the number of the flightsprite you want to see and Y is for the explsprite. Once you've copied this, save the mod. Then open Dom3 and start a game with your mod. Recruit some priests, order them to attack something, scripting all of them to cast this spell. End turn, and view the battle. Not satisfied with your first choice and want to try another number? From here it gets easy. Leave messages and quit game (do not end turn!!). Change the X and Y to what you want view next, save the mod!, start Dom3, open the game you used on the first test. Then view the battle you just watched a minute ago. Dom3 will play the same battle, but with different spell sprites! (You can actually change any value, even damage, the battle will be played out differently, good trick to test spell balance)

Also, I'm neither artist nor poet. So there are words like "yellowish" "orangish", and even one case of "pinkish". There are also quite a lot of "rising black smoke" - effects on many different numbers, there might be some difference between these, but it's so minimal that I was unable to notice it.
Attached Files
File Type: rar Spell Flightsprites and Explosionsprites.rar (12.8 KB, 339 views)
File Type: zip Spell Flightsprites and Explosionsprites.zip (15.0 KB, 317 views)

If you need to ask something about modding, you can contact me here.

See this thread for the latest info concerning my mods.

Last edited by Burnsaber; February 13th, 2009 at 12:25 PM..
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Burnsaber For This Useful Post:
Old February 12th, 2009, 02:39 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mapped, spell, explosion, sprite, flightsprite, explsprite

Perhaps someone might feel compelled to do some testing by creating multiple spells with those effects that seem too similar, and test them all at once. If you had a few casters each, casting spells named 127, or 183, or whatever, the replay could be watched a few times to maybe try to find some way to differentiate the effects.

I'm guessing it would be someone with the experience to do it faster than I, and with more time than you, since you've already done so much for this.

In any case, I am sure that in the current state, this list is a great boon to modders, cheers!
Old February 12th, 2009, 07:19 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

If it is any help, at least to illustrate what you're talking about, here are the blast sprites from the game's blast.trs. I inverted pure black to white and replaced the magenta used for shadows with pure black. Notice that the animations differ in length. Probably pretty much hardcoded.

P.S.: What you want to achieve through the thread title should rather be done by tags, see below. Your title should better be something comprehensible that explains in short what this thread is about.
Attached Files
File Type: rar blastsprites.rar (241.1 KB, 290 views)
Emergency comic relief
Old February 13th, 2009, 12:00 AM

Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMorrison View Post
Perhaps someone might feel compelled to do some testing by creating multiple spells with those effects that seem too similar, and test them all at once. If you had a few casters each, casting spells named 127, or 183, or whatever, the replay could be watched a few times to maybe try to find some way to differentiate the effects.

I'm guessing it would be someone with the experience to do it faster than I, and with more time than you, since you've already done so much for this.

In any case, I am sure that in the current state, this list is a great boon to modders, cheers!
Well if someone would like to try that, I won't stop them. But like I said, the differences are minimal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lch View Post
If it is any help, at least to illustrate what you're talking about, here are the blast sprites from the game's blast.trs. I inverted pure black to white and replaced the magenta used for shadows with pure black. Notice that the animations differ in length. Probably pretty much hardcoded.

P.S.: What you want to achieve through the thread title should rather be done by tags, see below. Your title should better be something comprehensible that explains in short what this thread is about.
I took a look at the blasts. Most of them are probably weapon flysprites or something, since I didn't see them on the range I tested.

Tags? I'm intrigued, please tell me more. How do I get them?

Old February 13th, 2009, 02:55 AM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsaber View Post
I took a look at the blasts. Most of them are probably weapon flysprites or something, since I didn't see them on the range I tested.
They might even be remnants back from Dom:PPP that have gradually been replaced by OpenGL effects. Some things in there are still in use, though, like the skeleton hand grip you mentioned and Gifts from Heaven.

Quote:
Tags? I'm intrigued, please tell me more. How do I get them?
Under the "Post Reply" button, there's a bar titled "Tags". Click "Edit Tags" and put the keywords in that you deem valuable.
Emergency comic relief
Old February 13th, 2009, 08:17 AM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

Hey and those lower numbers that are in the DB? Don't they work?
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old February 13th, 2009, 12:30 PM

Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aezeal View Post
Hey and those lower numbers that are in the DB? Don't they work?
Quote:
I've mapped the explsprites and spell flightsprites. They both go from 10001 to 10257. Effect numbers under 10001 seem to produce nothing.
So the anwser is no. You can't use weapon #flysprites as spell #flightsprites. I don't know why, but that's the way it is.

Old February 14th, 2009, 07:53 PM

Lieutenant General

Default Re: Mapped spell flightsprites and explsprites

ow lol hadn't even noticed I'm mixing those 2 up, sorry for mentioning it again.
Old April 30th, 2009, 06:47 AM

Lieutenant General

I want to remind ALL modders of the great files that are in this thread
Old March 15th, 2010, 03:19 AM

Colonel

OK. The new patch seems to have really updated many of the flysprites and explsprites, making this thing somewhat inaccurate.

I really have a lot of stuff on my plate right now and it will take a really long while before I can update this.

Egh.. I'll just be direct.

I'm busy and not that intrested about updating this file, which really puts it down on my "to-do" list. Would some nice soul have the time and intrest to update this?