.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old February 28th, 2009, 05:37 AM

Private

tisjken is on a distinguished road
Default how to counter Yomi ea

Hi,

i am playing currently as abysia ea but i always have trouble to counter the yomi. They seem to cme with massive armies and thats where i fail. I can beat them once, even twice but then eventually i get overrun. The problem with abyssia is that it costs much to produce my troops and i already tried using lots of priests to banish the demons but even then its not effective enough.

now my question what is a good aal round strategy to counter the Yomi Ea
Old February 28th, 2009, 07:51 AM

Major General

Gregstrom is on a distinguished road
Default Re: how to counter Yomi ea

Is this in single player or multi player?
Old February 28th, 2009, 08:15 AM

Private

tisjken is on a distinguished road

this is in single game.
i know that for some of u guys its a stupid question but i am a noob
Old February 28th, 2009, 08:37 AM

Major General

Gregstrom is on a distinguished road

You can help yourself a fair bit by making a few thugs, then. Baalz wrote a very good guide on thugging, and you'd start yourself off well by looking at it.

Also, forge some +penetration items for your banishing priests.
Old February 28th, 2009, 08:51 AM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

In new games, you could try choosing a nice bless for your Burning Ones. Maybe Earth-9 Nature-9 - use a cyclops, although you'd probably have to make him imprisoned and choose fairly bad scales (death, misfortune etc).
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old February 28th, 2009, 09:31 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

+Penetration items would be Eye of the Void (astral), Spell Focus (astral) and Rune Smasher (Water/Fire).

There are also some items and spells that work especially well against demons. The manual list of spells is a good place to start from. Look for low-level Astral and Water spells that deal extra damage against undead and/or demons.

Also, don't worry if you lose. Learning how to beat difficult opponents is part of the fun. You can try again with the same nations, or choose a different nation against Yomi, or play AS Yomi to see what causes you most trouble.
Old February 28th, 2009, 09:57 AM

First Lieutenant

Renojustin is on a distinguished road

If you play with Abysia against a Normal level Yomi, say, there is very little that they can do if you start out much faster than them. So take your uber blessed Burning Ones out in smaller and smaller groups until you find the smallest group you can send out that consistently takes over Independent provinces.

Once you know that, you can produce teams of land-grabbing units. Send them out all over the place, take over a strategic area and build your defenses in chokepoints. When you have all that money coming in, build a few castles and recruit more mages for research.

I envy you because you still get to see the joy of destroying your first tough obstacle in Dominions.

Good luck and have fun!
Old February 28th, 2009, 09:57 AM

Second Lieutenant

VedalkenBear is on a distinguished road

Another option is to leverage your excellent Fire magic against Yomi. While it is true that some of the Oni involved (Aka-Oni, Kuro-Oni) have Fire Resistance, only the Hannya is really immune.

Falling Fires is never a bad thing to spam on your opponent. It will do 15AP damage. Halve that for the resistance Oni, and you get 7AP. They have about 6 Prot, which is also halved to 3. So that means you'll accumulate damage over time, and once they go Spirit, it gets even worse.
Old February 28th, 2009, 11:15 AM

Captain

cleveland is on a distinguished road

Yomi's biggest weakness is their lack of shields. Of course, that doesn't do Abysia any good.

It depends on what troops your facing...what's being thrown at you? Unless you're facing only the fire-immune varieties, the often overlooked "Fire Darts" (Evo2) should work nicely against Yomi. Each dart is 10 AP (!) damage AND has a chance to set the survivor on fire...really devastating against shieldless low-hp units. Each Salamander sends 4 darts each turn @ 12 fatigue. Start off with Phoenix Power and they each send 5 darts @ 9 fatigue, so they'll never tire out. As an added bonus, all your troops are immune to the darts, unlike normal arrows.

If it were me, I'd ambush the Yomi army with ~10 Salamanders spamming Fire Darts from behind ~25 PD. Your PD is excellent, and should get you a good 10 turns of Fire Darts spam before keeling-over from from fatigue. A column of ~40 Abyssian Infantry guarding the Salamders should buy you another 10 turns. That's 20 turns X 10 Salamanders X 5 Darts/Salamander = 1000 Darts @ 10 AP damage + burning effects in Heat dominion...which your own troops are immune to.

Hope that helps.
Old February 28th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Tifone is on a distinguished road

Just wanting to underline that cleveland's referring to Anathemant Salmanders, the priest/fire mages, not the red lizards

Definitively Yomi can do good against Abysia. The game allows some rock/paper/scissors considerations (thus much more complicated of course), and troops very proficient in melee and fire resistant are not what Abysia likes to fight, really.

Fortunately, you can recruit Holy2 Anathemant Salamanders and Holy3 Anathemant Dragons in every castle. You can build very cheap and fast-to-build castles in mountain provinces i.e. So if Yomi's sending you demons, having some though shielded troops to keep them busy while spamming Banishment, will let you do great harm. If he's sending non-fire resistant troops instead (brigands and... bakemonos too IIRC?), well I think they really can't manage to beat your tough troops even outnumbering them 5/1 if you help with strong Evocation magic. Research Evocation straight up to level 5, and every new level you reach you'll gain a new cool, strong spell. Then go for Conjuration 3 for Summon Phoenix Power to be scripted at the beginning for every Anathemant (except eventually the one casting divine blessing, for him, second place), so all the subsequent fire spells in combat will be stronger and cost less fatigue.
Also, placing a castle in a province with indie archers to recruit a bunch of them might help you if, like the gurus may rightly suppose, you're facing unshielded troops.
Then it's up to you to exploit further weaknesses of the enemy