.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old October 10th, 2005, 01:14 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default Unit DB Final Update

Well, it has been a long time since the first version of my Dom2 Unit DB came out. It's been sporadically updated (usually when patches have come out), but now it is time to close that project for good. Barring an increasingly unlikely final patch from IW to fix the few still problematic units necessitates a slight upgrade, of course.

So, attached to this post is the final version of the Unit DB.

The document has undergone an extensive structural reform. The Weapons & Armor DB has ceased to exist as a separate document, because it has been incorporated to the Unit DB, henceforth known as the Units & Equipment DB.

The single most glaring design flaw in the previous version of the DB was that there was simply a number for any specific stat of every unit. That's all well and good for looking at what a unit is like, but totally inadequate for modding purposes where you must know the base values of stats that can be affected by things like armor etc.

That oversight has been corrected. All stats are listed so that selecting a cell will show the base value of the stat in question and any armor, weapon or other modifiers are autocalculated to give the final value.

The stats that are subject to autocalculation are as follows:
  • Protection - as long as everything adds up. If base prot and armor result in the numbers not adding up, the number is accompanied by an asterisk and the base value listed in Other Comments.
  • Encumbrance - base value plus armor encumbrance, except for cavalry, who are not affected by armor encumbrance for melee purposes
  • Attack - base value plus fire magic bonus for fire mages
  • Defense - base value, plus armor and weapon modifications, plus mounted bonus for cavalry units (always the first one added for cav units)
  • Precision - base value plus air magoc bonus for air mages
  • Action points - base value minus armor encumbrance
  • Normal leadership - base value plus fire magic bonuses
  • Undead leadership - base value plus death, blood and unholy magic bonuses
  • Magic leadership - base value plus general magic and astral magic bonuses
  • Supply rating (if any) - base value plus nature magic bonus
  • Fear - base value plus death and unholy magic bonus
All of the various bonuses that are not the property of some armor or weapon are listed at the end of the armor list, because that was the most convenient place to put them.

Because I had to go through every bloody unit in the game again, I also caught a crapload of mistakes that had sneaked into the previous versions of the DB. Those have been corrected. The weapons and armor tables also had some mistakes (such as the Icarian Wings being absent from the armor list), mostly very minor and no longer in existence.

Another change to the DB is that everything, absolutely everything is sortable by type.

Pretenders are divided into categories based loosely on the division in the CB PRetender mod readme, but the division is slightly more finely grained and accurate, and makes it very easy to find the pretender you are looking for based on that.

Nations have a new theme column, which finally gets rid of the completely unworkable nation+theme combo sort criterion in the earlier versions.

Indies are categorized by rough poptype groups, which are Amazon, Barbarian, Hoburg, Ichtyids & Mermen (can be underwater or coastal), Underwater (Tritons, Amber clanners and Atlanteans), Trolls & Vaettir, Regular (basic indies, i.e. the infantries, archers, cavalry etc plus the feudals, and they are subdivided according to unit types) and Miscellaneous (Woodsmen, Raptors, Lizards and Troglodytes).

Magic site recruitables are divided into autosummoned units, mages and recruitable non-mages.

Summoned and miscellaneous units did not have any category changes.

I have dabbled somewhat with updating the Mercs page (terminology harmonization etc), but only partially. The info there may or may not be accurate, so if you want the real deal on those units, check the unit numbers from the merc page and then look for the stats on the relevant unit page. That page is still more Sunray's work than mine, and he is duly credited with it.

-------------

WARNING

The weapons and armor pages have been protected to prevent accidental tampering. I don't know about Excel, but Open Office at least is unable to keep the cell references in formulas pointed at the right place if the reference source sheet is sorted. The protection is not sealed with a password, but tampering with weapon and armor sorting and then saving the document will corrupt ALL unit entries because the weapon and armor references will point at wrong entries.

Tamper if you wish, but at your own risk. You can always redownload the file if you screw up.

-------------

WARNING

All of the unit pages have also been presorted. Sorting them again using ANY criteria whatsosever means that you will NOT be able to restore the original sorting by anything other than the Undo function. If you saved and exited, tough luck, download again.

I spent something on the order of five hours or more tinkering with that sorting (especially the nationals) so that they appear by nation, then by theme, then by commander and the normal units and everything else is more or less in the same order as the recruitment queue for that nation.

The magic site recruitable and misc unit pages are the only one that has been simply sorted by type and name, so you can tamper with that as much as you wish without fear of screwing it up. The Summoned units page has the serpent forms of the lamia and lamia queen moved next to the lamia forms, which is a minor thing. It's the nationals and the indies, and somewhat the pretenders that were really tinkered to get the current results.

When you open up the document, it will open to the readme page, with the warnings I repeated here in big, bold, bright letters. Read that page. And check the U_Legend page to see what has changed about notation.

MODDING NOTES

The added functionality in this document is that anybody who wants to make mods can just save another copy of it with another name, unprotect the weapons and armor pages, do whatever changes to the equipment they want and the unit data is automatically recalculated to reflect the new values. Same thing with unit base values, change those and the weapons and armor values are just tacked on top. You will instantly see the results of what you plan to do.

Changing unit magic will not affect any stats affected by the magic types. To have those things change, you will have to modify the multipliers in the formula in the appropriate cell. My Spreadsheet-Fu is not strong enough nor my patience long enough to work out some kind of complex function that reads the magic cell and automatically calculates the values. That much you will have to do on your own.

That's about everything I had to say.

Edi
Attached Files
File Type: rar 386617-Dom2_DB_Units_and_Equipment.rar (342.8 KB, 509 views)
Old October 10th, 2005, 01:36 PM

Captain

Chazar is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Unit DB Final Update

Quote:
Edi said:That's about everything I had to say.
Thanks a lot! Your old database has been pretty useful to me so far and, no doubt, the update will be very useful as well!
Old October 10th, 2005, 05:27 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road

Yeah Ive used and will continue to use the unitDB constantly. You rock Edi!!!!
Old October 10th, 2005, 06:25 PM

Corporal

Sammas is on a distinguished road

Awesome work
Old October 11th, 2005, 01:28 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Thanks, guys!

I would appreciate any and all feedback anyone wants to give on this. It is finally a version that I personally feel happy about. The previous one was always in some ways unsatisfactory and irritating to me.

Edi
Old October 11th, 2005, 02:24 AM

Corporal

spirokeat is on a distinguished road

just wanted to say thank you for all your hard work on this Edi.

<bow>

Spiro.