.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old November 28th, 2018, 01:57 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Post Re: I Bring the Sword: Israeli Marines Beach Assault

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingertanker View Post
The corvettes were not even hit. And yes I currently run the free version. Trying to get Shrapnel to give me a DL link as I lost my install file. If not I will just buy it again.
By the way the S-13 guys do not count as part of the compliment of a ship they work from.
I only meant to say, the 25 KIA is more likely suffered by the Shayetet 13 (S-13) platoon and the two lost on the AS565 helicopter. So, just considering that the 23 KIA is likely from the S-13, is high.

Quote:
They are not actually Marines they are SEALs. Israel doesn't have actual Marines.
You're right, S-13 are not marines. I only used the term, "Israeli Marines" to describe the unit, while I admit,"Israeli SEALs" is an appropriate description of Shayetet 13. Thanks.

Quote:
BTW in 1982 the landing was done more to the North, north of Sidon. S-13 secured the beach and about 1000 paras and 100 AFVs were landed...Couls be a nice scenario to make, possibly with a strengthened PLO force for a challange.
You wanna go back to Sharon's War? The operation was punitive in my recollection, without solid political objectives. Having said that, it would make for a nasty little fight, if a guy could make Arafat's PLO behave as an army. However, you know I prefer small unit engagements, company level down. So, another S-13 show would, indeed make for a "nice scenario."

I may have a solution for unloading SEALs at sea unto assault boats. I had been working on it for sometime for this scenario, but since you mentioned this '82 S-13 mission, there maybe a way to start from the sea.

So, my thought is to load a S-13 aboard a corvette, then move it to a hex that has a height of -1 (shallow water). Only need one hex as shallow water, all other hex should be at -3 (Deep water). The unit can unload in shallow water.

Thanks again for your insightful comments.

The Following User Says Thank You to shahadi For This Useful Post:
Old November 28th, 2018, 02:09 PM

Corporal

gingertanker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I Bring the Sword: Israeli Marines Beach Assault

Sharon's plan was to install and support a Christian government and remove the PLO from Lebanon. And then sign a peace treaty with Lebanon strengthening Israel and weakening Syria. The only part that worked was getting the PLO out. They did fight by the way, Israel lost some 600 men in that conflict. My father was nearly killed. I have pictures of him on the landing craft on the way to the beach landing.
Old November 28th, 2018, 02:23 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.

Quote:
BTW in 1982 the landing was done more to the North, north of Sidon. S-13 secured the beach and about 1000 paras and 100 AFVs were landed...Couls be a nice scenario to make, possibly with a strengthened PLO force for a challange.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahadi View Post
You wanna go back to Sharon's War? The operation was punitive in my recollection, without solid political objectives. Having said that, it would make for a nasty little fight, if a guy could make Arafat's PLO behave as an army. However, you know I prefer small unit engagements, company level down. So, another S-13 show would, indeed make for a "nice scenario."
Quote:
Sharon's plan was to install and support a Christian government and remove the PLO from Lebanon. And then sign a peace treaty with Lebanon strengthening Israel and weakening Syria. The only part that worked was getting the PLO out. They did fight by the way, Israel lost some 600 men in that conflict. My father was nearly killed. I have pictures of him on the landing craft on the way to the beach landing.
My recollection sir is not always trusty, not necessarily faulty, just a little dusty at times.

Old November 28th, 2018, 02:36 PM

Corporal

gingertanker is on a distinguished road

No worries, can't expect everyone to recall everything. I don't remember stuff I thought I will never ever forget...And I remember stuff that seemed trivial at the time.
Old November 28th, 2018, 10:45 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
So, my thought is to load a S-13 aboard a corvette, then move it to a hex that has a height of -1 (shallow water). Only need one hex as shallow water, all other hex should be at -3 (Deep water). The unit can unload in shallow water.
I like this idea.
You could put both the commandos and a rubber boat aboard a "ship" or helo, drop them in the shallow water, let the commandos board the rubber boat (which would first move to an adjacent 'deep water' hex), and they can be on their way.

Consider your idea stolen !

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
The Following User Says Thank You to Suhiir For This Useful Post:
Old November 28th, 2018, 11:28 PM

Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
Quote:
I like this idea.
You could put both the commandos and a rubber boat aboard a "ship" or helo, drop them in the shallow water, let the commandos board the rubber boat (which would first move to an adjacent 'deep water' hex), and they can be on their way.

One problem remains. The assault boats won't load on the corvettes. So, the commandos will use their rafts.

Old November 29th, 2018, 12:54 AM

Captain

Quote:
Quote:
I like this idea.

Quote:
One problem remains. The assault boats won't load on the corvettes. So, the commandos will use their rafts.

I have a solution. I replaced a corvette with a LCM(8) Mark 1. With this class, the assault boats can be loaded.

Next, I change the icons, pictures, and specs of the LCM to those of the Greek Combattante II.

I suppose, just thinking aloud, the assault boat crew could be changed to that of an S-13 unit. In this way, the assault boat and the S-13 are loaded at the same time and disembarked as well as one unit.

When the boats reach the beach, simply abandon (@ hot key) the boats and viola, the S-13 is ready to fight. I think this might work.

Old November 30th, 2018, 03:29 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This would obviously have to be a scenario ... so ... CHEAT!

Use the editor to change the assault boats weight & crew to something that can be loaded aboard the corvette, load it, change the stats back.

I use this to load ammo dumps aboard CH-53s in a couple scenarios I've built. Once you unload them they become immobile just like they should be.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
The Following User Says Thank You to Suhiir For This Useful Post:
Old November 30th, 2018, 08:12 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

That is not " cheating"....it's using the game's potential "creatively" and certainly acceptable

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old November 30th, 2018, 11:36 AM

Captain

Quote:
When I attempted to the load the Raider on the Combattante I got a unit class error, not a "too heavy" error message.

Quote:
This would obviously have to be a scenario ... so ... CHEAT! Use the editor to change the assault boats weight & crew to something that can be loaded aboard the corvette, load it, change the stats back.
The analysis:
LCM(8) MK1 is a 41 class unit with a carry load of 240.

The Combattante II has a unit class of 199 with a carry load of 121.

The Rigid Raider has a unit class of 197 with a load cost of 1.

The unit class error led me to believe I would need a different class of water vessel to load the Raiders, thus I choose the LCM. Fortunately, the boats loaded successfully to the LCM. Although there maybe other factors, I am convinced the solution is in the unit class.