.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old June 23rd, 2008, 02:50 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default running a blitz game

It seems that the information on "running" a blitz game on my servers has faded, or maybe exists only in the Dominions IRC channel. So here is some info on it.

A blitz game has multiple definitions. A game small enough to finish in less than a month. And also a game where everyone tries to do many turns in the same day or weekend. My server can support both.

I try to keep open blitzes available regularly. If you check
http://game.dom3minions.com/bin/blitz_chk.cgi
you will see them. But I just host them. I do not "run" them. If you want to run a blitz then just pick one and round up players. Let me know of any changes (stops, starts, changing hosting times, making palyers AI, etc)
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old June 23rd, 2008, 02:51 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Default Re: running a blitz game

Here is an example for making a new thread here to get a blitz game started on my server. It has the basic info. And you might include whether you prefer a once-a-day turn game, or lets-play-all-day game (if all-day then you might want to discuss time zones)

game name: bl_xxxxxxxxx from the chk page (randomly selected from dictionary file)
server: game.dom3minions.com
or IP number: 63.199.8.158
port: xxxx from the chk page
Era: x (xxxxx age) from the chk page
Indept strength: 5
Magic Sites: 65
Players: 2-4
Renaming: on
Hall of Fame size: 10
Map: randomly generated 50 provinces
Master Password: xxxxxx exists but is only known to the admin for now
AutoHosts at: when all players turn in their turn OR 24 hours whichever happens first
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)

Last edited by Gandalf Parker; December 28th, 2008 at 04:52 PM..
Old December 28th, 2008, 05:03 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Default Re: running a blitz game

If you would rather host a larger game, or one with other settings, I can host that also with many nice features (backups, email notifications, webbased status and reports, huge maps, mega games, etc).
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=39629

The same can be done on Llamaserver.net to setup an email game since the games there can also be set for immediate hosting on receiving all turns.

And it can be done manually. On the IRC channel for instance there are people who will help you setup a game step by step.
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=40486

It can also be done manually by entering the CHAT channel on this forum (the button is in the menu at the top of the forum). You can also create a seperate chat room for your game to allow for continual live-action chatter during the game.