.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old July 11th, 2008, 02:45 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Admin How To Run a Game

Create a thread, or a post to a multi-thread. This is to announce your game and let you get people interested in joining it. Usually the person doing that is considered to be the person running the game. The Game Master, the arbitrator, the decider of arguments, the judge, the final say on "OK its been decided and this is what we are going with". Also its generally accepted to be the official person who is expected to contact the Host letting them know of the game settings and any changes in those later on (please dont expect all the hosts to read all the threads if they arent in the game that is being played).

Make the subject say that its a game starting. As the person who created the thread you can edit the subject later to say game has begun and the name of the game. The first post in the thread (yours) should be used for the basic game information. So if you dont have any of that yet then make the first post a placeholder. Or fill it in with what you want the game to be like in short details. Then the following posts are for longer explanations and discussions of game settings. That is of course IF you want discussion on game settings but keep in mind that YOU are the person that is running the game that YOU want to run. There are plenty of options for other games with other settings so dont feel pressured to change the game to something else that you might bail out on early. If you do quit the game then quitting the game is not as big a problem as dropping it. PLEASE be honorable enough to pass the torch of running the game to someone else if you quit.

Here are some things you might decide for the game you want to run, or allow the players to debate, or a mix of both. You should probably state right off in the first or second post which things you feel are pre-decided and which you are allowing to be open for discussion.

PbEM (Play by EMail)? Direct Connect (TCPIP)? Both?
Player hosted? Neutrally hosted? What host are you hoping for? Backups?
How often should it host? Quickturn (as soon as all player files are turned in)? 24 hours? Both? (all files or 24 hours)? host set for specific day or time? automatic pause day (hosting time paused on Suday)?

What era? any nations not allowed?
How many players? How long will you wait for joiners? Uploadtime auto-enforced by the host?
Hall of Fame 15? Renaming on?
Simple Victory (there can only be one)?
Scenario? (one example would be having one of the expert players or the IRC group role-play a common enemy)

Money (gold) turned down? turned up? default?
Supplies (food) turned down? turned up? default?
Resources (production) turned down? turned up? default?
Magic (research) slower? faster? default?
Magic Sites? 40 (default)? more? less? maximum? none?
Independents Strength? low? high? chaotic? none?
Number of starting provinces to speed up start (but can break balances). 1? 3? 5?

Map Victory (take VP locations)?
Info on nations available in game (graphs)? Scoreboard visible (html)? Stats file visible?
Will you demand email addresses? Demand passwords?

MODs? No MODs? (keep in mind that mods can make it harder to get hosting)
Certain spells removed? CBM? Heroes Mod?

Rules on NAPs? Rules on missed turns?

AIs? (computer players at the start? maybe filling in any unfilled nations)
AIs that are not part of the game (MOD'd nations as AIs for more challenge)?
AIs as a major opponent?

Map and map size: Discussion of how many provinces per player? 5? 10? 20?
A map that came with the game and everyone has it?
A map created and made available here in the forum?
A Random-Generated map so that no one has seen it before?
A Random-Generated map that has been checked by a 3rd party for balance, reasonable start sites, etc?
Wrap-Map?
No-Independents Map? Chaotic Independents map? Semi-Randomized map?
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)

Last edited by Gandalf Parker; July 5th, 2010 at 11:31 AM..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gandalf Parker For This Useful Post:
Old July 11th, 2008, 02:48 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Default Re: How To Run a Game

Im considering this for a sticky. Or maybe adding it to some other sticky
Comments?
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old July 11th, 2008, 02:56 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

it seems complete.. but I'm not experienced enough if something is missing.. a lot of things here I had to make up while players where joining and asking so if pplz used this to start with it could bypass a lot of questions and get the game started quicker
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old July 11th, 2008, 02:58 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

For shame Gandalf, couldn't even wait 5 minutes for someone else to nominate it first.

<3

I like it, good mini-guide for new hosts. Also a good checklist for those who haven't done it much, and don't want to forget anything.
Old July 11th, 2008, 03:05 PM

Colonel

DonCorazon is on a distinguished road

Looks good and useful. May be worth calling out specific spells that players might considered banning like "Mists of Deception / retreat" so new players setting up games have a heads up. This suggestion is based on a scar from the Capuchin MP noob game, which blew up from this particular thing.
i crossed blades with the mightiest warriors of the golden age. i witnessed with sorrow the schism that led to the passing of legends. now my sword hangs in its scabbard, with nothing but memories to keep it warm.
Old July 11th, 2008, 03:25 PM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

To my mind it looks rather more complicated than it need be. Mine would be something like:

1) Contact a potential host to host the game - lch, llamabeast or Gandalf spring to mind at present.
2) Make a thread asking for players. On the thread list the age, map, number of players wanted, any mods being used, and any non-default game settings. Also specify any exploits or spells you want to ban. The first post will remain important for listing all the settings, and as slots fill up you should edit it to keep a complete list of players there.
3) Wait for all slots to fill up. Then arrange for your host to accept their pretenders.
4) Once all pretenders are in, ask your host to start the game.
5) You will be responsible for sorting out any requests for postponing hostings or other things throughout the game. Please do not stop doing this if you get knocked out without asking someone else to do it for you. Generally someone else will be happy to take over as it's an easy job.

All the other stuff you say is useful, and should probably be included below, but is to my mind somewhat daunting and for an average game most of it is not important.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old July 11th, 2008, 04:26 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

For shame Gandalf, couldn't even wait 5 minutes for someone else to nominate it first.

--> agree

I also agree to add Llama's points.. but if you make a sticky of it his list is rather short and I'd let gandalfs thingie in there too..
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old July 11th, 2008, 04:26 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

But Llama, if someone forgets any of those things, they'll be harassed by the players who are joining.

One of the games I'm in now, there must have been 2 pages of relentless questions "are we using mods?", "are indies at 5?", "is it normal research?". A newer host may not even think of these things at first, and may not be resilient to the interrogation after they were too cursory in their initial post.
Old July 11th, 2008, 04:46 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

I will also admit that I am partly driven by a desire to point out that there are many many game options which do not always get considered. This is actually cut down abit from my wanting to list the many cool game variants that came up in threads such as the "on the fence" thread.

(yes before someone bites their tongue... such games ARE also on my "so why dont you go ahead and do it" list)
Old July 11th, 2008, 04:48 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
llamabeast said:
To my mind it looks rather more complicated than it need be. Mine would be something like:
I often type an answer in forums then before hitting send I go to the top and edit it into "short answer" and then "longer answer". Maybe I should do that with this. Make yours the short answer then for those who are interested offer a longer answer.