.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old December 16th, 2009, 05:29 AM

Corporal

Deathjester is on a distinguished road
Default Multiplayer question

I will be moving shortly and I have a few questions with regards to multiplayer.

I will be keeping the same installation on the same computer with the same cd key. My IP adress will however be different, of course.

In other words, I have one installation with one cd key, but the computer and the installation will be moving (and changing ip adress).

Am I correct in that the copy correction that functions in MP is related to cd key and not to IP adress?

Could I bring my laptop with the installation on and send turns in to for example llamaserver from different IP adresses? (if not, do I then need to quit all games I am in when I move?)

I could not get clear answers on this from the search function - any help would be appreciated.
Old December 16th, 2009, 05:51 AM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Multiplayer question

You will be fine, you can send turns from a different IP address, and you can send turns from your laptop. You just can't send in a turn file for more than one nation in a single game.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
Old December 16th, 2009, 05:57 AM

First Lieutenant

WingedDog is on a distinguished road

IP has nothing to do with MP games - subs would be impossible otherwise. CD key only prevents multiple players with the same key in one game. Change of computer, OS, even change of email account don't matter.
So you don't need to quit all your games.

Edit: ninja'd.
Old December 16th, 2009, 10:09 AM

Corporal

Ah, that makes sense.

Thank you for clearing that up - and swiftly at that.
Old December 16th, 2009, 10:14 AM

Sergeant

Kheldron is on a distinguished road

It's worth noting that the game needs really small space.
I store and run it from my usb key for instance, wether it's at home or on my laptop.
Old December 16th, 2009, 10:20 AM

Corporal

That is clever, Kheldron. I will definitely try that.
Old December 16th, 2009, 10:29 AM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

Slight correction. You cannot play multiple nations from different computers with the same CD-Key in the same turn of the same game.

You can send in turns for multiple nations from the same computer. I've done it to test this and to set nations AI.
Old December 16th, 2009, 10:40 AM

Corporal

It's still not completely clear.

Do you mean that the same CD-key, from different IP adresses, can not play two or more nations in the same turn of a game?

Another thing happened to me and a friend. We play a private game on llamaserver, just the two of us. He plays his turns at his place, with his own installation and cd key. I play my turns at my place with my installation and cd key.

But, one time he was over at my house and wanted to play his turn there. I figured that was ok. He downloaded his turn from his emailaccount, played his turn, and submitted it. He had not sent that turn in from anywhere else. It did not work and caused a conflict.

So, we sent in a turn for two nations in the same game from the same computer. This normally works, as I've tried when testing llamaserver out. (he had of course sent his previous turns in played with his own cd key at his place)

Why did this problem occur? (given what you've told me, I do not understand why, really)
Old December 16th, 2009, 10:53 AM

First Lieutenant

FAJ is on a distinguished road

I have a small external drive I keep with me, that has the whole game and all my MPs on it. That way I don't need to find a sub, or stale if I am away. I just need to find an internet connection for a few minutes.

One thing I found though, which may just be an isolated incident, is that trying to play the game off an external source, through a USB connection works fine on all computers I have tried it on, except one with Windows7. I don't know if it was the particular computer, or the OS, but windows7 did not seem to like me running the game off the usb drive.
Old December 16th, 2009, 11:22 AM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

I don't see why that didn't work either. I'm not sure I've tested it after playing one of the turns from a different computer/key, but I have set nations AI, which should be the same thing, unless that's handled as a special case.

This is why I hate copy protection schemes. They cause hassle and confusion among people who're trying to follow the rules.