.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old August 27th, 2015, 09:12 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: AI transport helos

Long time since I did it but certainly attack helicopters follow waypoints at least to a degree. You can place multiple waypoints to slow them down & make them stop behind a ridgeline or some such.
The AI is then normally quite good at attacking from that point.
As Airborne Rifles mentioned I would expect transports if slow moving to unload once they are within the general area of several victory hexes. Probably around 12 -15 hexes out based on land transport vehicles.
So hopefully out of range of any defending infantry.
Old August 27th, 2015, 09:15 PM

General

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_rocks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
I'll try and remember to make a key to set the AI landing hex in scenario editor (if its needed) in this winter's update.
We would love this! Especially if it also works for barges/landing craft.
In most cases don't you just set these up to run straight in towards the landing hex?
Old August 27th, 2015, 10:38 PM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_rocks View Post
Especially if it also works for barges/landing craft.
In most cases don't you just set these up to run straight in towards the landing hex?
Yes, if the beach is straight (ish), However if you have a river to navigate or barrier islands, sandbars, etc it becomes a nightmare! woe besides if you want boats to make a flanking manoever!

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
Old August 28th, 2015, 04:20 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,235 Times in 923 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: AI transport helos

Have to agree with Andy, AI is all I fight against and on several occasions over now many years the AI helo will seek a clear landing spot as close as possible to a v-hex. Also the transported troops after a turn will attempt to directly move towards the V-hex(s). Of note it's been my experience that the Chinese seem the most active in this regard/tactic. Russia only a couple of times and I've had a couple other countries do it once. I've maybe only seen this done by all maybe 10-12 times in almost as many years. It seems a very rare occurrence driven I'm sure by many perimeters the AI has to "work" within. I've always believed in "Fighting men, from the sky..." on my part.

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old August 28th, 2015, 05:55 AM

Corporal

Beeg is on a distinguished road

I've tried setting v-hexes in clear landing areas and setting waypoints but the AI continues to have a mind of it's own...now it lands on the edge of the map, away from any victory objectives. How did you manage to program stubbornness into SPMBT? :-)
Old August 28th, 2015, 09:40 PM

General

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTBOAT TOUGH View Post
Have to agree with Andy, AI is all I fight against and on several occasions over now many years the AI helo will seek a clear landing spot as close as possible to a v-hex. Also the transported troops after a turn will attempt to directly move towards the V-hex(s). Of note it's been my experience that the Chinese seem the most active in this regard/tactic. Russia only a couple of times and I've had a couple other countries do it once. I've maybe only seen this done by all maybe 10-12 times in almost as many years. It seems a very rare occurrence driven I'm sure by many perimeters the AI has to "work" within. I've always believed in "Fighting men, from the sky..." on my part.

Regards,
Pat
One of the hardest battles I have ever had vs the AI & I nearly rerolled it because I thought it would be dead easy was Russian AI doing a river crossing on a full width map, this met the AIs criteria in a big way.
Few turns of bombardment & fast air in which I spotted a few ground vehicles then the paras turned up supported by attack & transport helos, turns out most of the AI arrived by air.
Arty park gone desperate attempt to save my HQ, forget holding the bank for now I have far bigger problems. Ended up having to clear the enemy out of my fortifications which I had abandoned on rescue missions.
Talk about getting caught well & truly with my pants down, we held but with totally unacceptable losses.