.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old September 26th, 2008, 10:46 AM

Corporal

theenemy is on a distinguished road
Exclamation is the AI cheating

Topic. The AI seems to collect troops at an extremely fast rate, even with ALL negative scales on easy/normal difficulty level. I've tried this out a couple of times. And even if they have death3 turmoil 3 etc. they still manage to send out tons of expansion parties during the first turns while I struggle with keeping my first alive. ??? Maybe this is a bit of a whiner topic, but I've had this game since it was released and the AI always beats me badly even on EASY difficulty. I've only won against it 2 or 3 times with MA Ulm. Even my gamer buddies can't keep up that much resistance

Last edited by theenemy; September 26th, 2008 at 10:51 AM..
Old September 26th, 2008, 11:06 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: is the AI cheating

Turn up the Independents in your next game.
YOU will tend to make much better decisions on who to attack and when to attack them than the AI does. If you turn Indepts down (as many new players do thinking it will make the game easier) then it just allows the AI to swarm you early in the game.

Gandalf Parker
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old September 26th, 2008, 11:16 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

At Easy difficulty, the AI gets resource and gold PENALTIES.

MA Ulm starts with a good fortress (good admin -> more resources), tends to start in or near mountainous provinces (more resources) and gets extra resources in all of its forts as a nation-wide bonus. Their national units are very cheap on gold. It probably got lucky and the pretender had scales that fitted the nation, and the capital was surrounded by high-resource provinces.

In addition, while it's not cheating per se, the AI is way more efficient at recruiting from independent provinces than any human player. It can recruit from all provinces it has conquered, every turn. Most of those units are useless, so once you learn how to take care of chaff the number of units doesn't matter any more, and that's when you up the AI difficulty and/or use mods/maps with AI-friendly features.
Old September 26th, 2008, 12:32 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

You can see the AI bonuses in the FAQ.
Old September 26th, 2008, 02:22 PM

Corporal

theenemy is on a distinguished road

Endoperez, I think you misunderstood me. I was the one with MA Ulm Great nation against the AI, only a bit boring
I have turned up the indies to lvl 9 in several games which only resulted in my SC's brutally slaughtered. The last time Baelor, the fomorian king got his face kicked in by like 40(!!!) lizard warriors, so I've lost my faith in SC's unless they are wyrms or Melqarts/Adons.
It's just like in HOMM, every time I thought I had a reasonable army, the AI came in and raped me with a bigger one.
That aside, how do you take care of a 400/500 army chaff that the AI manged to gather in a couple of turns?

Last edited by theenemy; September 26th, 2008 at 02:24 PM..
Old September 26th, 2008, 04:23 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road

The enemy, sounds like you are not building your SCs right. A properly built SC should be able to defeat any number of regular troops (unsupported by mages). Occassionally, there are some niche troops that can take down an SC, but its rare. Perhaps you should post some of your builds and ask for advice on how to use them instead of giving up on them entirely.
Old September 26th, 2008, 04:43 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

You just need more practice. A lot more. I mean if the AI on easy is trouncing you,... I don't know what to say. Focus on the basics, don't worry about SCs or spells too much.

I suggest taking a nation like MA Abysia, good scales and something like an E9 bless with a sleeping or imprisoned pretender. They're fairly easy to play and above par units work well against what the AI likes to build.
Old September 26th, 2008, 07:53 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

lol a decent army of good units should help you beat most armies the AI on easy can throw at you.
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old September 26th, 2008, 08:01 PM

BANNED USER

Omnirizon is on a distinguished road

the AI is not only cheating in the game, it's sleeping with your partner when your at work...

it also likes to raid your frige.
Old September 27th, 2008, 08:44 AM

First Lieutenant

Edratman is on a distinguished road

theenemy,

This is a hard and complicated game. I lost every game for a few weeks. In all likelihood you are doing what I did and try to play the game like it is Civilization. That does not work.

You are probably expanding too fast, recruiting maximum crappy troops in every province, getting bankrupted by the support costs for these troops and hoping that you can bludgeon your way to success. While the capabilities of the AI are often derided, it performs at its best against this strategy (sic).

Read the guides and various national threads. The tactics and strategies may seem arcane, but they are tired and true.

You will pick it up. I did, and I'm an old man.

Last edited by Edratman; September 27th, 2008 at 09:00 AM..