BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old August 17th, 2000, 06:34 AM

Corporal

wingte is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Another Approach to Research

MB said
But, what about the Psychic, Deeply Religous, Temporal Knowledge, Cristallurgy, Organic Manipulation, advanced traits?
These techs allow unique extra tech tree, for the race that have the racial advantage... The only problem that I can see with it, it's that some advanced traits looks much pore powerful, than others (for example Cristallurgy, Organic Manipulations, Psychic).

==========================

Well ,, 100 turns hasn't given me enough time to play with the advanced traits very much. As I understand it if I set the racial points high enough for me to get the advanced traits,, then all the computer generated players also have the opportunity to get the advanced traits. Of course it might be possible to simply reduce the individual traits enough to add one of the special reseach areas while locking all the computer generated one out.

Hmnnnn 1500 points is a lot of reduction. Are any of those sspecials worth it???

------------------
Wingte
Old August 17th, 2000, 04:05 PM

Colonel

Master Belisarius is on a distinguished road

Wingte:

Well ,, 100 turns hasn't given me enough time to play with the advanced traits very much.
Nope, it's enough.
Try selecting low tech cost in the game setting, or starting with 5 or 10 planets, or selecting all the tech allowed from the start.

As I understand it if I set the racial points high enough for me to get the advanced traits,, then all the computer generated players also have the opportunity to get the advanced traits. Of course it might be possible to simply reduce the individual traits enough to add one of the special reseach areas while locking all the computer generated one out.
The AI is not good doing races... in fact the AI still need work in all the fields...
To do more interesting games, I was forced to create some AI races to play against (giving them some Advanced Traits, and not taking any Advanced Trait myself).

In a game with 2000 points to generate your race, you can pick one of the advanced traits without problems... look this example:
http://pub4.ezboard.com/fse4centerfo...icID=599.topic

============================================
Hmnnnn 1500 points is a lot of reduction. Are any of those sspecials worth it???
============================================
You will see that some of these tech is really powerful (Cristallurgy or the Biological Manipulation)!
The Psychic is powerfull too, but more against the AI: you can take over their ships, if the AI is not using a Master Computer... and the AI is not so smart (At least in the 5.6 demo), to see that need to get the Master Computer.

1500 is nothing compared with the advantages! You get so fast, so powerful weapons and armors.
For this reason I think that these tech must be balanced...
In fact, I think that if you go to play against other human, you need to pick one of them or you will be wipped...
Regards

MB
Old August 17th, 2000, 05:05 PM

Colonel

Master Belisarius is on a distinguished road

Wingte:

Personally I like the Imperium Galactica II system where some races can't even use some of the tech that other races can research.
=============================================

But you get it in SE4 with the Advanced Traits... if you have the Cristallurgy tech, nobody else can use the Cristallurgy tech tree (at least that the other race have the Cristallurgy tech too).

For example, other race could take over one of yours ship with Cristallurgy weapons, and use this ship against you... but can not analyze the ship, and "learn" about the Cristallurgy tech (but you can do it with the others common techs).
Also, they can not stolen your Cristallurgy tech using the Intel options...

=====================================
Everything there seems to balance out,, but even in the easy mode there is no guarantee that any given race will be able to defeat any other race. =====================================

Pesonally, I have played the Imperium Galactica II Demo, and have decided to no purchase the game... I think that this game wanted to do so many things in a sole game, mixing RTS battles, RPG elements and 4x games.
I know that you're not saying that IG2 is a great game, ok?
But, in my opinion (not only my opinion), IG2 failed because currently is not possible to be so good like StarCraft, Homeworld and MOO2 (Se3) at the same time...

About the main IG2 races, I'm not impressed:
The Solarians: an eclectical race... average warriors, average traders, average diplomats, but good research.

Kra'hens: warriors... They can not use diplomacy, trading or spying (very boring!).

The Shinari: they are spies, traders and diplomats, but weak fighters. (in multiplayer games, I know a lot of people crying because the Shinari human player can destroy complete fleets with their spies...)

Finally, I think that IG2 have a limited tech tree, and really I never saw a real difference between the Solarian, Shinari and Kra'hens tech tree... I only can remember that you can purchase more advanced ships/vehicles, to the tradders that time in time go to your spaceports. But maybe it was only in the Demo... I don't know.
Old August 17th, 2000, 06:46 PM

Private

Jeb is on a distinguished road

I can't figure out how to get the message board software to let me quote the bit where Baron Munchausen says I have "a strange idea of fun" for liking games with "just one more turn" syndrome. That's my measure of a good 4X game! I dunno, maybe we just like different sorts of games, Baron. The JOMT syndrome is what made me stay up all night playing the original Civilization. Civ 2 also had long periods waiting for new tech, and then mass upgrades, although Leonardo's workshop made that a lot easier if you had it. The wait for new tech is part of what made it fun for me. Anyway, say what you want about gradual, incremental tech improvements vs. quantum leaps, but don't you dare badmouth my beloved JOMT syndrome

quote:
Originally posted by Baron Munchausen:
That's one of the features that makes the current generation of 4X games better than MOO. It's not a matter of just choosing among a few techs that anyone else might also have chosen anymore, now there are real differences in what is possible for each race/empire. The "path" through the tech tree is much less predictable and if technologies were a bit less transparent there would be much less predictability to battle tactics, as well. Do we need to know that shields II absorbs exactly X number of points of damage? Do we need to know that ECM I reduces the enemy's chance to hit by exactly X percent? Not really. We just need to know that it's better than the previous Version, or better than not having it at all.

As I said, I like the idea of everyone having different techs and ships. This does make it hard to balance things but, as the Grumbling Grognard says, fun gameplay is ultimately more important that exact balance. I agree that sometimes games where you have to struggle, and even where you wind up losing, are often the most fun. However, if a game is too unbalanced, it's usually not much fun to play, either because you'll discover a can't lose strategy that makes it stupid to use any of the other possibilities, or else bad luck can make it impossible for you to win no matter how well you play.

What I'm not crazy about is not knowing what your techs do. SE4 is a strategy game, and you need information on your unit capabilities to plan a rational strategy. Again, maybe I'm just more anal than you, MB, and like more detail, but it drives me crazy trying to play a game where there's no manual to tell you how combat works or what your units can do.

This isn't to say that uncertainty is always a bad thing. Anybody remember the old "Panzergruppe Guderian" boardgame? In it, you had untried units, so one side of the counter only had the unit's type (infantry, armor, etc.) and movement printed on it, and you only got to flip the counter over find out what the unit's combat stats were once you actually used it in combat. A research system like this could be really cool: your researchers have invented a new gizmo and you have a general idea what it does, but you don't get to find out its exact stats until it's tested under battlefield conditions. Building a prototype would *really* be building a prototype in this system. But, of course, this is more an idea for SE5 than for a game that's going gold in October.

[This message has been edited by Jeb (edited 17 August 2000).]
Old August 18th, 2000, 03:39 AM

Corporal

wingte is on a distinguished road

Well,, I have used up my 2nd 100 turns so the demo doesn't work anymore. The Tutor will still do about 20 turns so I tried starting a new gam and setting the Tech to max and giving myself enough points to get the specials. I also set the creat random races to the high setting and it sure looked to me like at least two of the random races also ended up with some of the advanced tech.

I bought IG II because of the promise of free Online gaming via IRC. I also downloaded the scenerio packages and one of those has a mode where you can pick any of the 8 ?? races and play anywhere from 1 to 7 opponents. I have won at least once as each race playing on normal against 2-3 computer controlled opponents. It was most difficult as the Kra"hen , and the Shinari in combination with any Race that could research the Distructor Ray were the hardest to beat. The key is to train lots of spys to very high levels.
It is a real shame they can't get the buggs worked out of the Online system.

------------------
Wingte
Old August 18th, 2000, 04:50 PM

Private

Strogian is on a distinguished road

Well, I don't really see why you want all this realism.. To me, it is really just a game. IMHO, if you're gonna make the research system like that, you might as well just be giving your ships (captains) orders, and they would execute them to the best of their ability. Sure it would be more random, but hey, it's more realistic.
Old August 18th, 2000, 05:01 PM

Private

Jeb is on a distinguished road

Well, as a matter of fact, I'm playing in a PBEM game where I pretty much do give my captains orders and let them go from there. Silly little buggers are none too smart about it, either. That's what I get for not building those fleet training facilities they were asking about, I guess.