.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 2nd, 2007, 05:17 AM

Private

Sarvoth is on a distinguished road
Default -InsertName- died retreating into enemy territory!

(((This post is fairly long, please read it all; but if not simply scroll down to the sixth section and start there)))

It was a small map MA game of only eight pretenders, including myself. Over many years and through various wars eventually it came down to just two, the Divine Emporor of Ermor (me) and some unknown divinity leading the forces of Man.

At this point in the game my Emporor was for all intents and purposes a SC spellcaster. He was equipped with a robe of invulnerability, a luck pendant, a wraith crown, an antimagic amulet, a ring of wizardry (or somesuch like that), and an amulet of reinvigoration (forgot the name). I had spent most of the game turtling my empire and researching and I managed to complete research on Thaumaturgy, Enchantment, Conjuration, and Construction, while Alteration and Evocation were both about level 6 (enough for basic buff/attack spells).

Unfortunately this approach landed me with about ten provinces under my control for the final conflict, as opposed to Man controlling the entire world; roughly 50-60 provinces. Predictably, Man soon proceeded to steamroll my provinces annihilating 125 defense militia and my priest's undead entourage in every province with a couple massive 1400 man armies. Despite my rapid loss of income and domain, I wasn't daunted. I made no attempt to stop their rampaging armies, that would only waste what few mortal soldiers I had; and end in failure. I pulled every death mage from my provinces back to my capital and began to prepare for the inevitable siege.

Over the half-year it took the armies of Man to secure my lands, I took advantage of the massive number of death mages and undead generals in my capital. I was raising 120+ longdead and souless, 40 wraiths a month, and various misc. such as an iron dragon, tarrasque, abomination, and a smith of tatarus.

By the time the 1200 strong army of Man laid siege to my capital, I had raised an army nearly 1000 strong. As the siege began it was obvious that I would win the battle. My wraiths held the gate while my various users of death magic raised even more undead, filling my fortress full of souless and longdead. As the battle raged on lodged in the fortress gate my wraiths slowly began to hack their way outside the fortress into the enemy army, as my Emporor shadow blasted huge sections of their army repeatedly. After 70 long turns of slowly killing off about a third of their forces, the armies of Man route; and I had only taken about a hundred chaff and a couple dozen wraith casualties. It was obvious to me that I was now in a position to win the game. I had yet to even dent my gem reserves, and all my casters were empowered and prepared to raise massive hordes of undead each and every month.... while my incredibly powerful and nigh invulnerable Emporor spearheaded the massacre..

I end the replay, smiling to myself as I think I may finally win a game... Clicking down the other piddly unimportant messages I notice something. What's this? All my mages, wraith lords, and even my Emporor are dead?! WHY?.. Retreated into enemy territory? Ridiculous. So where does that leave me after all this time and planning put into my game? Dead, with one province under my control, half my standing undead and magical forces dissipated, and only a couple wight mages left to hold my capital. I had failed to notice that my Emporor, wight mages (etc misc. casters) and wraith lords routed shortly before the siege was won..

The point of this hideous tale is simple...

RETREATING INTO ENEMY TERRITORY FROM YOUR STANDING FORTRESS AFTER A SIEGE SHOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE.

What moron would run out of the gates of his fortress into enemy territory after annihilating the enemy siege? I don't understand this, and this strange order of events cost me days worth of time; and a stroke (I lie, figurative) due to anger.

Please, someone of importance read this and consider patching some solution. Or perhaps someone with modding experience could help me fix this? If only to change wraith lord and wight moral to 50, anything..
Old June 2nd, 2007, 05:48 AM

General

lch is on a distinguished road
Default Re: -InsertName- died retreating into enemy territ

Retreating into enemy territory is never possible and should not be no matter how powerful the retreating force is. If they're fleeing, they have lost. What probably happened is that with this grinding battle you got into the turn rule where all units retreat after 50 combat rounds or something and everything left on the battlefield dies after 75 battle rounds or something.

You could have avoided this if you would have sent a few stealthy units under a stealthy commander to attack and take an enemy province around your fort.
Emergency comic relief
Old June 2nd, 2007, 06:15 AM

Private

I could have avoided it by taking another province, sure. But my intention was to hold my capital for a short time while building up my forces. It makes absolutely no sense what-so-ever for it to be impossible (almost) to hold a single province fortress with a powerful force... There is no logical reason for all my commanders and my pretender to have died like that. Units in a fortress shouldn't be capable of routing, unless they're stealthy. It's under siege and your enemies control the province, under normal circumstances nobody would be able to escape. And under MY circumstances.. none of my units should have suicided by routing.
Old June 2nd, 2007, 06:55 AM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

In a break siege, you die if your forces retreat. It's explicitly stated in the manual. (What the manual doesn't say is that if you have a neighboring province to retreat to, it's possible to escape to that province from a failed break siege.)

I think the reasoning may be that it's needed to prevent something like scripting a bunch of mages in the back line to pop off some Swarms or Lammashtas, before running back into the castle.

Or maybe, once you leave the castle, some cowards close and lock the doors behind you.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
Old June 2nd, 2007, 07:00 AM

Private

Well I don't like those cowardly gate locking traitors, I had some scared skeletons I suppose; lol... Is there any way to mod the option of routing during a siege out, or some work around solution? I don't have any modding experience with DOM; but my playstyle at the moment is turtling to create an SC spellcaster with Ermor and then use him to lead massive undead legions. But I've failed twice now, due to him routing during a siege on my capital that I actually won.. :-o
Old June 2nd, 2007, 07:04 AM

Second Lieutenant

Sandman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Man soon proceeded to steamroll my provinces annihilating 125 defense militia
Buying huge numbers of militia is a common mistake. You could have bought hundreds of soldiers or more forts instead.
Old June 2nd, 2007, 07:09 AM

First Lieutenant

LoloMo is on a distinguished road

you could probably mod a province that has only one connection to your capital. The AI probably wont teleport there. You can use it as your backyard that routing units from your capital run to.
Old June 2nd, 2007, 07:14 AM

Private

Quote:
LoloMo said:
you could probably mod a province that has only one connection to your capital. The AI probably wont teleport there. You can use it as your backyard that routing units from your capital run to.
I wouldn't know where to begin, but that would definitely help the situation.
Old June 2nd, 2007, 01:12 PM

First Lieutenant

Loren is on a distinguished road

I think the problem here is the time limit routes.
Old June 2nd, 2007, 05:22 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Not possible to mod that particular game mechanic away.