.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old January 31st, 2009, 02:52 PM

Major General

Gregstrom is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 3 bogarus questions

Lol. The mystery is solved!
Old January 31st, 2009, 03:49 PM

Second Lieutenant

VedalkenBear is on a distinguished road

Dunno if the comments here have meant confusion about the Lady of Fortune, but as someone who dearly loves to use that Pretender...

She does cause extra good events in her province.

Dunno about the Bogarus summons. I'll check it out.
Old February 1st, 2009, 07:36 AM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Sorry, I didn't really notice this thread before. To end the guesswork:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slobby View Post
1. Firebird description says that it brings good fortune. Just flavor text or does it increase luck/good events? I've never noticed an increase in luck scales.
It minimally increases the chance for fortunate events, yes. Minimally. The value that they contribute to this (which I guess is in percent and works like having Luck or Misfortune scales) is 1. For comparison, the Lady of Fortunes has 25, the Lord of Plenty has 15, the Smoking Mirror has 10 and Minister of Rituals has 1 as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slobby View Post
2. Likho description says that it brings misfortune. Just flavor text or does it increase misfortune/bad events? I've never noticed an increase in misfortune scales.
Yes, they do, exactly like the Firebird. They have -10. So you'll need 10 Firebirds per Likho to even it out. There are some other units that bring Misfortune like this, some Doom Horrors and Demon Lords having -25 or -50, too.
Emergency comic relief
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lch For This Useful Post:
Old February 1st, 2009, 02:08 PM

Major General

Cool - thanks, Ich.

I wonder if that's a straight percentage chance, as Edi's db implies with the Lady of Fortune?
Old February 1st, 2009, 07:20 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

I haven't looked into how these values are being interpreted by the game. I've had a quick look now.

There are a maximum of 4 normal events to happen per nation. It looks a little strange how it's determined what happens. There are 100 tries to find a valid event for the province in question. If one is found that applies, then the next one is rolled. If there wasn't a valid event found, then fortune tellers get into play. A roll is made against the added fortune teller power in the province from all units. Now, this looks strange, the fortune teller power in % is for FAILING the check, is what it looks to me, so low fortune teller power is better than a high one. In case the checks succeeds, the roll for the failed random event is redone. I don't know if I'm reading this wrong, but I think that maybe JK has the inequality in the wrong way.

After these 4 normal events are done for all the nations, the monsters may generate random events, too (contrary to what I said above, where I thought that they'd just affect the outcomes). The unit's value gives the chance in percent that a random event occurs. Positive values for positive events, negative values for negative events. This is done per-unit, not per-province, the Likho isn't balanced out by 10 Firebirds, it's just 10 times more likely to spawn a random event than the Firebird.
Emergency comic relief
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lch For This Useful Post:
Old February 2nd, 2009, 02:43 AM

Sergeant

OmikronWarrior is on a distinguished road

As long as the subject of Bogarus is up, anyone have any play tips for them beyond DrP's original quick guide? I've been messing around with them lately, and boy are their troops terrible.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 08:25 AM

First Lieutenant

Kuritza is on a distinguished road

Your heavy cavalry is good, your swordsmen are 'ok' and your bowmen can fire arrows - what else?
Bogarus is a communist nation; reverse communions are their big strength. Also, I do recommend to have water/earth on your pretender. You may have no water income, but if you dont diversify, how do you expect to fare in the late game? Keyword: clams.
With some boosters, your mages can build Golems. You will need these, no matter what.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 09:39 AM

Major

Wrana is on a distinguished road

Excellent interpretation of "communist"!
And I agree about Water on Pretender - I would probably add Nature, too, not necessarily Earth. Or did you mean Nature as you mentioned clams?
Old February 2nd, 2009, 04:26 PM

Major General

No, Earth. You have no native access to Earth at all. I'm not even sure any of your heroes have it. Access to E3 early on for hammers etc. is really rather valuable.

I'd go with a bit of N too, even though it's easy enough to get some N access from tribesmen. That way you can summon a dryad to go clamming for you.

On strategies: You could try taking lots of Order, and treating your infantry as utterly expendable - they'll probably die anyway, so why not bank on it? You will be able to take on some LA nations just through sheer weight of numbers and hordes of cheap archers. And in some games you can get yourself a diplomatic advantage by pointing out your massive ability to spam banishes at Ermor.

Last edited by Gregstrom; February 2nd, 2009 at 04:34 PM..
Old February 2nd, 2009, 09:13 PM

Major

Wrana is on a distinguished road

Agree that Earth is generally good - it just wasn't clear from the post in question. At the same time you have E1 on Alchemist, while having absolutely no Nature - and good Nature summons. I would probably try to take both... it seems Rainbow is a good idea for a nation.