Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old August 7th, 2005, 04:01 PM

Corporal

dita is on a distinguished road
Default Resources for web site

I was wondering, what, if any, images can be used for the purposes of putting onto a web page.

Can I use the WinSPMBT banners for example? I`m thinking of putting a small web page together (though don`t hold me to that ).

With 55mb of ISP web space going unused, I`m sure I can but something on it!

Obviously, I`ll be putting links to shrapnel games, and other sites on it.

EDIT: Also, what would the correct wording be for any copyright notices? Thanks
Old August 7th, 2005, 05:46 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Resources for web site

Quote:
dita said:
I was wondering, what, if any, images can be used for the purposes of putting onto a web page.

Can I use the WinSPMBT banners for example? I`m thinking of putting a small web page together (though don`t hold me to that ).

With 55mb of ISP web space going unused, I`m sure I can but something on it!

Obviously, I`ll be putting links to shrapnel games, and other sites on it.

EDIT: Also, what would the correct wording be for any copyright notices? Thanks
It depends as to what you are wanting to host, really.

See the Distribution notice section of the manual for starters.

Also - remeber with ISP web space, it is not always the web space that is the issue - bandwidth restrictions may apply.

Cheers
Andy
Old August 8th, 2005, 06:16 PM

Corporal

dita is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies.

I`m just looking to host a few scenarios, links etc.

I thought it be nice to include some recognizable images. For example, the "banner-01" in the in the "game notes/images" folder.

Though, I`ve a feeling, as this is part of the manual, its copyrighted. But you get the idea.

Just noticed this link--
http://www.shrapnelgames.com/The_Exchange.htm

Perhaps I should contact this, or is aimed at the more commercial sites?

I`m enquiring about the bandwith limitations. Should be interesting to see what response I`ll get

Thanks for any help.
Old August 11th, 2005, 03:06 PM

Private

embis is on a distinguished road

I have done several fan sites, and have shamelesly used graphics from the games and banners from the company websites without a second thought for copyright. The sites have quite clearly been fan sites and not an attempt to dupe the public into thinking they are anything else.

My view is that any company that whines about breech of copyright over graphics on a fan site deserves not to have any fansites.

In any case, they arent going to go straight to a lawyer and instigate proceedings against you. First they are going to contact you and ask you to take it down. If they do that comply.

....and then stop giving them your money by buying their games because they dont deserve you as a customer.

I must admit, when I read the thread where someone had offered a MSword version of the manual for download I did feel a pang of irritation when the "C" word was used in response...here was a fan offering something other fans wanted, for no personal gain, and here was a representative of the game saying "you cant do that its copyright"

What a shame.

Old August 11th, 2005, 05:48 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,423 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
embis said:
I have done several fan sites, and have shamelesly used graphics from the games and banners from the company websites without a second thought for copyright. The sites have quite clearly been fan sites and not an attempt to dupe the public into thinking they are anything else.

My view is that any company that whines about breech of copyright over graphics on a fan site deserves not to have any fansites.

In any case, they arent going to go straight to a lawyer and instigate proceedings against you. First they are going to contact you and ask you to take it down. If they do that comply.

....and then stop giving them your money by buying their games because they dont deserve you as a customer.

I must admit, when I read the thread where someone had offered a MSword version of the manual for download I did feel a pang of irritation when the "C" word was used in response...here was a fan offering something other fans wanted, for no personal gain, and here was a representative of the game saying "you cant do that its copyright"

What a shame.

It's truly amazing how things can be twisted and misinterpreted.

NOBODY from The Camo Workshop OR Shrapnel said ANYTHING about "copywrite" ( or " whines about breech of copyright" ) in regards to graphics in the game guide being used by fansites. .........."Though, I`ve a feeling, as this is part of the manual, its copyrighted. But you get the idea." .........was "dita"s words, NOT ours .

If anyone wants to use the banners and graphics in the game guide or on my website to promote the game they are more than welcome to. The green "WinSPMBT" banner that is on the front page of the game guide and on the first page of http://linetap.com/www/drg/SPCamo.htm would be perfect as would be the attached animated GIF (winspmbt5.gif)

Don
Attached Images
File Type: gif 373047-winspmbt5.gif (57.1 KB, 147 views)

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old August 11th, 2005, 06:27 PM

Private

embis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
DRG said:
It's truly amazing how things can be twisted and misinterpreted.

NOBODY from The Camo Workshop OR Shrapnel said ANYTHING about "copywrite" ( or " whines about breech of copyright" ) in regards to graphics in the game guide being used by fansites. .........."Though, I`ve a feeling, as this is part of the manual, its copyrighted. But you get the idea." .........was "dita"s words, NOT ours .

Don,
My apologies. I was actually thinking of mobhacks comment in that Thread about copyright and was refering to him as the "representative of the game" not Ditas comment.

Mobhack speaks authoritatively about the game, and I took the view he expressed regarding the copyright of the manual to be that of Shrapnel and the Cammo Workshop. Particulalrly since that view was not corrected by either Shrapnel or Cammo Workshop.
Old August 7th, 2005, 11:41 PM

Major

Double_Deuce is on a distinguished road

Like Mobhack said, webspace is available for cheap with most plans. Where they get you is the bandwidth.

FYI - Here is the wording I use on my site Combat Campaigns;

"This page is copyrighted by COMBAT-CAMPAIGNS © 1998-2005. All rights reserved.

Steel Panthers, Steel Panthers II, Steel Panthers III: Brigade Command, Steel Panthers: World at War and Combat Mission are trademarks of their respective owners. Any mention of these products is purely for reference and should not be construed as a challenge to their trademark status. If you have questions, comments or suggestions about this site feel free to email CCHQ.
"

Guess I need to add SPMBT and SPWW2 if I start supporting them from there as well.