.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Scenarios, Maps & Mods

Old October 24th, 2005, 10:22 PM

Sergeant

jeffr is on a distinguished road
Default vine whips in conceptual balance 4.0

I've tried out using vine whips under 4.0, but they don't seem to entangle the defender. The whip is hitting (it always should because of the AOE, right?) because I hear the "whip sound" and see a reduction in hps (I think), but the entangle animation (a la tangle vines) doesn't display nor is the defender's defence lowered.

Anyone know how the vine whip is supposed to work?
Old October 29th, 2005, 01:16 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road
Default Re: vine whips in conceptual balance 4.0

QM - what was the intention with the change to the Wraith Sword?

Cause I've just finished up my third or fourth game using 5.0 and I'm surprised to hear so little in this thread about it? I tested it out with a load of SCs and its really quite weak now. On more than one occassion I saw militia (militia!!) survive hits from the new sword. I was astonished!
Old October 29th, 2005, 01:28 PM

Colonel

shovah is on a distinguished road

that just sounds wrong, WRONG! militia being able to survive hits from any magic weapon with decent strength behind it is just plain wrong
Old October 29th, 2005, 01:44 PM

Second Lieutenant

Turin is on a distinguished road

it does 9 armornegating nostrength added damage. So you will always deal 9 damage if you hit regardless of strength and armor.

Reasoning behind this is that itīs sort of an ethereal blade(hence the name wraith sword) that has a life of its own, so armor offers no protection, but you canīt swing it harder with your strength.

So itīs a good weapon vs SCs/Thugs with high protection, but pretty useless vs masses of troops. The damage might be a bit low, maybe 12 damage would be a better value.
Old October 29th, 2005, 01:59 PM

Colonel

12 does sound a little better as an etheral blade should be able to take out regular people (still prefer my golems with astral weapon though)
Old October 29th, 2005, 04:18 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Turin said:
it does 9 armornegating nostrength added damage. So you will always deal 9 damage if you hit regardless of strength and armor.

Reasoning behind this is that itīs sort of an ethereal blade(hence the name wraith sword) that has a life of its own, so armor offers no protection, but you canīt swing it harder with your strength.

So itīs a good weapon vs SCs/Thugs with high protection, but pretty useless vs masses of troops. The damage might be a bit low, maybe 12 damage would be a better value.
Right. But even armor negating checks are opposed, arent they? So it would be 9dam +2d6oe vs 0prot +2d6oe. Which means you only have less than a 50/50 chance of killing a regular infantry unit with 10hp.

Im fine with it being no strength add, but its rough that you spend 15-20 gems on a weapon that cannot even reliably kill weak units. 12 damage would make it kill regular pretty well I guess. So yeah 12 or 13 dam would make it good vs chaff inf and ok vs elite inf. That seems ok.

And as for it being a specialized SC Killer... I dont really see how? Ok so its armor negating... but if you really want to kill an SC, an anti-SC with high str and Gate Cleaver or a multiplier weapon (like Herald Lances/Flambeau) will do far more damage.
Old October 29th, 2005, 05:17 PM

Colonel

exactly, just take a few commander, give him a gate cleaver, winged shoes, and burning pearl and ring of the warrior and send them at someones SC, with high attack and huge damage the sc is basically dead from the start, or you could stick a gate cleaver on a nataraja and give him a hell sword aswell, mega anti sc
Old October 29th, 2005, 05:45 PM

Second Lieutenant

Turin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ironhawk said:

Right. But even armor negating checks are opposed, arent they? So it would be 9dam +2d6oe vs 0prot +2d6oe. Which means you only have less than a 50/50 chance of killing a regular infantry unit with 10hp.

Im fine with it being no strength add, but its rough that you spend 15-20 gems on a weapon that cannot even reliably kill weak units. 12 damage would make it kill regular pretty well I guess. So yeah 12 or 13 dam would make it good vs chaff inf and ok vs elite inf. That seems ok.

And as for it being a specialized SC Killer... I dont really see how? Ok so its armor negating... but if you really want to kill an SC, an anti-SC with high str and Gate Cleaver or a multiplier weapon (like Herald Lances/Flambeau) will do far more damage.
well the thing that kills should be the fatigue effect, which stays unless the SC has some sort of fatigue recovery and eventually the SC should be overwhelmed by your accompanying troops. Specialized weapons should always be better than a weapon that is generally effective, so no problems with flambeau or herald lance.
The gate cleaver is a very good weapon, but earth gems are very precious and the att/def stats are pretty bad and it wouldnīt be as effective vs masses of cheap troops as the 12 damage wraithsword.

So hopefully the wraithsword will turn out to be a weapon that will be ok all around, but beaten by specialized weapons in their respective specialities.
Old October 30th, 2005, 03:01 PM

Major

Wish is on a distinguished road

wand of wild fire is showing up as a sceptre of authority in the weapon slot
Old October 31st, 2005, 04:31 PM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Wish_For_Blood_Slaves said:
wand of wild fire is showing up as a sceptre of authority in the weapon slot
This is not a mod issue, nor can it be fixed with modding.

On the vine whip, making it area of effect seems to have broken it's vine ability. Same with the star of heroes anti-armour ability. Next version should correct these by finding a different way to boost them.