.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Multiplayer & AARs

Old April 12th, 2005, 02:18 PM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road
Default Re: PBEM Game: Yarnspinners 2

I am strongly against a large map, particularly with AIs. I think the yarns would be a lot more interesting if there is a writer from both sides of wars.
Old April 12th, 2005, 02:52 PM

Second Lieutenant

djo is on a distinguished road

I am interested in playing. I've been reading the original thread since I bought dom2 a couple months ago. Can't wait to hear the end of that one...

My thoughts for YS2:

- turns: I like the 3 turns, one yarn per week fixed schedule idea; I've done some writing, and doing about 500 words/yarn/week is doable (Sedna and puffyn have been writing in that word range, but every turn!)

- mods: small mods (eg, Zen pretender, balance) ok, big mods (eg, Cherry's recruitable unit) can be overwhelming for the inexperienced

- selection: I'm ok with random order, but perhaps give Sedna and puffyn (if interested) first choice due to their performance in YS1?

- victory: I like a fixed turn length, too

Alneyan's other suggestions are all fine by me.

A question: 2.15 or 2.16?

Another question: every good sequel needs a subtitle; YS2: The Long-winded? YS2: Writer's Vengeance? YS2: Mutant Offspring? YS2: Wrath of the Wordy?
Old April 12th, 2005, 11:53 PM

General

PashaDawg is on a distinguished road

I am not especially excited about random selection of nations. I find that a polite "first come - first serve" almost always works fine. For example, I selected Tien Chi, but if someone else really, really wanted that nation, I would be happy to play another. And, of course, it would not break my heart if others preferred a more orderly selection process. We are all good sports.
Old April 13th, 2005, 11:15 AM

Sergeant

puffyn is on a distinguished road

Count me in on Yarnspinners 2: How many would-be wordsmiths does it take to come up with a catchy name?

It looks like most people are agreed with the 3 turns / 1 yarn / 1 week schedule, which is fine by me. 's lotta work, writing 500 words of deathless prose every turn...

I don't like the idea of random nation selection; you should play a race that you'll be able to get in character for, since that's what'll keep you yarning. I say everyone should name their top choice, and if there's a conflict have a backup in mind. I would like to play C'tis.

Zen's mods are fine with me, but I'm not particularly in favor of other more extensive mods.

As for the map: it looks like about 10 people have expressed definite interest at this point (counting a few from the Yarnspinners Classic thread who haven't migrated here yet), which would be a good number. Not sure if it's enough for a map like Orania, though I agree that it looks nice. Perhaps if there were no water races... plus there will be the Land of the Giver of Pearls in there somewhere also. But early contact is key, I think, to maintaining enough dramatic tension.

And no AI's. They're just too easy to kill, and they wouldn't respect truces made for narrative reasons
Old April 13th, 2005, 12:26 PM

Second Lieutenant

I think the "random" was meant to be "choose nations in random order", not "random assignment of nations".

Glad to see the lizards' literary voice will be heard. With them gone, I'll take Vanheim as my first choice. It's negotiable.

Quote:
puffyn said:
And no AI's. They're just too easy to kill, and they wouldn't respect truces made for narrative reasons
I intend to explain all manner of stupidity and suboptimal behavior with the phrase "for narrative reasons".

I'm glad to see both puffyn and Sedna in YS2: Attack of Logorrhea.
Old April 13th, 2005, 12:38 PM

General

Alneyan is on a distinguished road

Aye, it is definitively not random nations, but a random order for "who goes to pick the nation first". I would cast the dice to determine who can pick a nation first, then who comes second, who is third... and who is last (too bad). Some further "arrangements" could be done afterwards, if, say, the Ulm player would love to get your Marignon, and vice versa. It would work best if there were only twelve players or so though: otherwise, it may be a problem if you end up having to choose between two or three nations you absolutely hate.

The Wealthy Nation will only need one province, so it shouldn't affect much; their province will also be without any neighbour, so the only way to get there will be through teleport... and that would be a very bad idea, seeing how overkill their defences will be.

Welcome aboard Djo, and welcome on the forums! A word of advice though: you appear to have forgotten a few of the remaining players in Yarnspinners, namely Curious Cat and myself (though neither of us is still yarnning, we are alive and kicking in Yarnspinners. Well, not *that* alive mind you, as R'lyeh sure was nasty with me, but still). Of course, being the benevolent host I am, I will not hold a grudge towards you for having overlooked me. Of course not! *Writes down that incident, for future reference*
Old April 13th, 2005, 02:29 PM

Second Lieutenant

Alneyan: no offense intended! My apologies. I was referring only to the impressive tales Sedna and puffyn have generated.
Old April 13th, 2005, 06:40 PM

First Lieutenant

Zen is on a distinguished road

Hrm!

Zen would like to play, but please give him more details as to everything. I would hate to sign up and end up not yarning because of things. That is the real disappointment. Also I think there should be a period of time (maybe 2 weeks) before the game starts to formulate a plot, reasoning and such. The first turns are critical to forming a yarn and the desire to keep up the yarning, I believe.

Also, under the current structure. 3 Turns a week, 1 yarn a week. 60 Turn limit would last 20 Weeks, roughly 5 Months.

I would hope that everyone who signs up can say "For the next 5 months, regardless of 'stuff' I can attempt to write up something once a week"
Old April 14th, 2005, 11:17 PM

General

PashaDawg is on a distinguished road

So when are going to get this one going?
Old April 15th, 2005, 12:04 PM

Sergeant

puffyn is on a distinguished road

We're on turn 57 in Yarnspinners 1, and I'd like to be finished with that before starting up a new game. Around May 1st, perhaps? If we could settle on the races and players, this could give everyone a little while to come up with clever back story. We could have a Turn 0 to set the stage, then start up regularly at Turns 3, 6, etc.