This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Shrapnel General

Old June 10th, 2008, 01:33 AM

Colonel

Ballbarian will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Gandalf\'s Servers

I don't think I could express my feelings on the subject any more clearly than Tyrant just did. My SemiRandom projects were a direct result of your brainstorms and many features in the program can be traced back to emails, ideas and suggestions from you. Hell for that matter, you were my first exposure to working remotely with a web server. With the help you gave me working with your own donated web space I had the basic knowledge to learn more and have actually created a fairly impressive web space for the county that I work for! This small county in Kansas never had a web presence until now.

Gandalf, just remember when you start feeling like all your work is just a small drip in the ocean and unappreciated, that it is actually causing many ripples and that in the end you impact many, many people in rather large and dramatic ways.

Eh. I suspect that I may be starting to ramble...

But, I do want to emphasize something that Tyrant said:
Quote:
The anonymous coward who abused your kindness and generosity is a dip [censored] loser and his opinion is a fart in the wind, ignore him.
Map Forge - Map editor
Old June 10th, 2008, 01:58 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Actually I was just responding because I wanted to and his anonymousie tactic saved him from a direct response (this time).

I had already considered myself blown off the forums by people far more talented than this one. I was greatly irritated at his assessment than I let the games slide from my server. It actually turned out that when I stopped drumming up business for my server like the fanboi I was called, no one seemed to care for a long time. The only reason the blitz games started back up was because it was requested by one of the players.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old June 10th, 2008, 07:38 AM

General

capnq is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said: Damn, now Im sounding like Zen and many others who went before me. My apologies to those who do not fit this post. I will probably delete it when I calm down.
IMO, you shouldn't delete it. Even though the people who most need to read it probably won't realize it applies to them.

"Good morning, Pooh Bear," said Eeyore gloomily. "If it is a good morning," he said. "Which I doubt," said he.
Old June 10th, 2008, 12:01 PM

Second Lieutenant

Herode is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Damn, now Im sounding like Zen and many others who went before me. My apologies to those who do not fit this post. I will probably delete it when I calm down.
Please don't. I think such things have to be recalled from time to time. Some people are just consumers and they just forget that free products/sofware/services are never a due, but a gift. It's safe and reasonnable to remind such guys that they are wrong

Thanks for the efforts you undertook for the community and good luck for the maintenance of your tools.
Old June 12th, 2008, 05:09 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road
Default The way the world actually works.

The pervading highschool culture of our society is embarassing enough to deal with (especially every time I turn on a tv or read the news), but some people never got out of kindergarten, honestly.

Some of us still expect the tallest person in the room to hand them a cookie and make everything better, no matter how badly we've fouled our pants. Well, the truth of the matter is, those tall people expect to get paid. If they're your parents, they expect to get paid with the coin of immortality. If they're a teacher, a babysitter, what have you, they expect to get paid in cold hard cash, and respect. If they're just a random, good-hearted person, handing out free stuff that you want, they expect-and deserve-courtesy, manners, and grateful thanks. And if you don't give it to them, they'll start demanding cash and respect.

See, there are two types of people in our society: adults and children. Adults work hard in order to provide for children and the society at large. Those members of our society who don't understand the concept of hard work, responsibility, and sacrifice (and for that matter, manners, courtesy, and independence) are children.

Children come in all ages-and adults would too, but it takes a few years to get the brain up and running and to iron out the hormones. Let me restate this-The respective ages of said adults and children are immaterial. It's not how the world views you-atleast it won't be in the long run, because in the long run-perhaps to your shock and awe-the world doesn't give half a damn about you. It's really (really, really-really) nothing personal. It's simply a matter of how you choose to view the world.

Now, you can choose to be a weeping, stinking, snotty little midget your entire life, and contribute significantly to the hardships that we suffer in this world--and you might even get away with it, but you'll only get away with it because the adults have decided-individually, and as a group-not to drown your *** in the nearest river.

And the only reason we don't-the reason we have laws, the reason we have society and civilization and everything that makes us human beings-is because we *respect ourselves*.
Old June 13th, 2008, 07:28 PM

Colonel

DonCorazon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The way the world actually works.

Very well said HB.
i crossed blades with the mightiest warriors of the golden age. i witnessed with sorrow the schism that led to the passing of legends. now my sword hangs in its scabbard, with nothing but memories to keep it warm.
Old June 17th, 2008, 01:49 AM

Corporal

Zentar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Tyrant said:
....Surely you have noticed by now that some gamers and internet citizens have impaired social skills...

Thank you for all you have done! My sympathies for your troubles, i hope things get better soon.
You are one of the immortal legends here Gandalf [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/icon17.gif[/img] , and the name person who wrote the anonymous e-mail isn't worth knowing. Thank you for all of your contributions. [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/icon41.gif[/img]
Old June 22nd, 2008, 03:14 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

I have now started a donation thread in the Dominions 3 forums, here:

http://www.shrapnelcommunity.com/thr...?Number=618128
Emergency comic relief
Old July 10th, 2008, 07:23 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thank you everyone who helped make this happen.
I am pleased to announce that the main server is BACK online and all of the domains are fully operational again.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old July 10th, 2008, 08:16 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

I know I havent been paying as much attention to this thread as I should have. The only reason I drug my feet about saying thanksyous was because I felt rather pensive about whether I would be able to honorably use the money for its intended purpose. The more that the house seemed in danger, the more I was mindful of the donated funds. Not that I would have misused it but I wouldnt have had a DSL line to hook the server to.

I now can feel relieved, honorable, and suitably thankful to everyone. And since the repairs fell short of the funds you provided, the server also received a ram boost.