.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old January 10th, 2009, 03:08 AM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road
Default Re: If Giants existed in BC times...

The Chill on the Niefel Giants is much smaller than that, I believe it's 6 base, so in 3 Heat should be down to 3. That's not so much a problem, as the Jarls, though still painful when you meet them en masse.
Old January 10th, 2009, 03:32 AM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road

According to the recruitment screen, Niefel Jarls are Chill (18) and Niefel Giants are Chill (15). Their chill is pretty ferocious.

-Max

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]
Old January 10th, 2009, 03:35 AM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMorrison View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post

The description strongly implies that the shininess is what gives it its high parry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMorrison View Post
Shield of Gleaming Gold is not a specifically anti-missile shield, it's is just fast, and heavily enchanted. The "shiny" part of this description is for the Awe effect, causing melee attackers to "avert their eyes" and miss the opportunity to strike.
Other high-parry shields like Aegis and the Shield of the Accursed have similar notation about how they're hard to look at, in addition to their other effects. It appears to me that they're trying to explain why they get such an insanely good Parry.

But okay, maybe I'm wrong. I'm not KO or JO or anything.

-Max

Aegis does not say that. Only other shield IIRC that says any such thing, is the Shield of the Accursed, which DOES have absurdly high Parry, and states that it is "painful to look upon". But again, I don't think that is intended to allude to missile blocking, but rather melee parries. I'm having a hard time believing that the runes are SO painful to "look in the general direction of" that they are really intended to be affecting archers at 100 yards.
Aegis does say that.

"This is a round shield of hardened leather with tufts of goat hair surrounding its edge. Upon the leather surface, the unknown maker painted an extremely vivid image of the Medusa. The image is so vivid that anyone who meets the mad gaze of the painted eyes will be instantly petrified. Anyone fighting the Aegis-bearer will thus have trouble watching and predicting the Aegis-bearer's moves as he tries to avoid the leering face of the Medusa." Emphasis added.

-Max

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]
Old January 10th, 2009, 05:57 AM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

Dammit, this thread has me running around in circles. I specifically went and looked at the description for..... Barrier.

And I admit defeat on the subject of the Niefels as well (size and chill). I will endeavor to stop using crack to sweeten my coffee, they always said it would catch up to me.

Though I have to say, in the case of Aegis, it's not that it's painful to look at or some such, you simply can't or you will die. You would think the enemy army would keel over in droves as they gazed in the general direction of the Aegis (or a Gorgon).