BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old August 8th, 2017, 04:13 AM

Corporal

PantherCub is on a distinguished road
Default Some suggestions for the AI

I have played the game against human opponents but due to time and other constraints, I usually play against the AI, mostly the random campaigns. While the AI is decent, it has some shortcomings, like all computer wargame AIs.

Here are some suggestions for possible improvements to the IA. Not sure if they are possible to implement in the code, but I have tried to make them reasonably simple.

AI tank - infantry coordination when attacking
The AI is notoriously poor at tank - infantry coordination. The tanks usually arrive first and then the wave of infantry comes a couple of turns later. This is probably realistic for early British and Soviet forces, but things improved later in the war and was always good for the Germans.

Suggestion: AI tank forces in the attack should reduce their movement rate so that they stay with the infantry, at least until they have breached the first defence line. If this is hard to define for the AI, then releasing the tanks from the infantry after a certain number of turns should probably work well enough.

This could well be adjusted according to nation:
Germans: Always
Soviet: From 1943
British and US: From 1944

AI firing when defending
The AI is prone to open fire at too long range, which will reveal its positions.

Suggestion: AI defending infantry should have their range set to 1. Exceptions could be made for enemy engineers adjacent to minefields, which could be engaged at greater ranges.
AI defending anti tank guns should not open fire above 1/3 range, possibly adjusted according to calibre.

AI use of APCs
The AI will tend to charge with infantry mounted in halftracks, and the halftracks often arrive before the tanks due to their higher speed. This leads to AI halftrack mounted forces being easily massacred.

Suggestion: AI halftrack mounted infantry should keep their rate of advance down so that they will be behind the tanks (if any are available). If there are no tanks, there should be no halftrack mounted infantry in the AI force (the AI can't handle them).
Old August 8th, 2017, 08:18 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Some suggestions for the AI

We have a long list of items we want to look at for the next release and variations on some of this is already on it

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old August 11th, 2017, 06:51 PM

Sergeant

Dion is on a distinguished road

Always good to hear of AI improvements. The main thing I care about is AI predictability. From what I understand, this was addressed in version 10.1 or 10.0, or what ever (the last update). The way I see it, is the AI is not a very good tactician, it will try to take objects at all costs, which is a type of predictability. All you have to do is wait for him and he will come to you. Easy pickings. I don't think it sees the importance of draws at all, or for that mater, the agony of defeat. If it could, it would be a much more formable opponent.
Old August 12th, 2017, 08:49 PM

BANNED USER

Kiwikkiwik is on a distinguished road

I played a meeting game where I let the computer pick my forces. It bought a lot of 0 movement field pieces but nothing to transport them with. They ended up playing no part in the game.
Old August 12th, 2017, 10:21 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

That's because the AI does not shift it's arty around therefore it does not buy transport to do so. If you had field guns that did nothing it's because you did nothing with them.

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old August 12th, 2017, 11:41 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwikkiwik View Post
I played a meeting game where I let the computer pick my forces. It bought a lot of 0 movement field pieces but nothing to transport them with. They ended up playing no part in the game.
You asked for an AI pick - so there is no transport. The AI does not move arty about. Therefore it has no need of trucks for those guns.

The AI uses those guns by firing them at the enemy in indirect fire. Field guns usually dont have any problem ranging across the battlefield bar say some little 37mm popgun infantry support junk that some armies may have. If you have these guns given to you by the AI pick, then its up to you to plot your fire with them, since it does not happen automagically unless you put the formations under AI control.