.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 30th, 2008, 10:08 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ooh, ooh, new info on patch page!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBits View Post
LA R'lyeh will have to 'nerf' it's own Dreamlands fun, just in order to fund it's own existence. So that would mean a lot less random void-beings, many fewer free cultist commanders, and a whole lot less INSANITY - all the things that make LA R'lyeh such a fun race to have in the game. Basically, it would wind up like a gimped MA R'lyeh.

Well and that just won't do - and it's the crux of the war between balance and theme.

Honestly I think most people would agree that some sort of change would benefit the game as a whole, however it would be hard to get someone who has actually played R'lyeh, to not agree that insuring all freespawns are free of upkeep, must accompany a reduction in cash-flow.

Personally I think that doubling the popkill rate will be plenty of a balancing factor. At that point, it already becomes useless to try to use Growth to mitigate poploss and to "farm" your peasantry.

Any change that forces R'lyeh to limit Dom spread in order to maintain viability, will kill their ability to survive (the Temporal has a high Void resistance?). So ultimately, the mechanics need to work out so that R'lyeh can continue to function, while pushing their Dom outward. This means minimizing upkeep costs - or else there is no reason that they will not stagnate and wither away sooner than later.

Also, and probably too difficult to implement - it would likely help if normal "mortal" troop types simply stopped spawning altogether in any "barren" territories. Where are all of these Tritons coming from? No one lives there!
Old October 31st, 2008, 03:10 AM

Major General

Gregstrom is on a distinguished road

I'd have thought the easy way to mitigate upkeep costs would be to keep sending your freespawn out to die in battle.
Old October 31st, 2008, 03:36 AM

Second Lieutenant

konming is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregstrom View Post
I'd have thought the easy way to mitigate upkeep costs would be to keep sending your freespawn out to die in battle.
Except when you completely rule the sea, there are no one to fight for those aqua-only mad tritons.
Old October 31st, 2008, 06:24 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

To an extent, the popkilling is going to help kill off the awful gold draining freespawn, by starving them all to death. This is especially true of the aquatic ones.
Old October 31st, 2008, 06:30 AM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

Too bad there are no hidden gold mines underwater to tax at 200%...
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
Old October 31st, 2008, 06:39 AM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Sombre has a good point.

Personally I think it would be more fun if R'lyeh's dominion would occasionally cause horrible creatures from the void to break loose and wreak havoc on their provinces, or assassinate commanders. Maybe generate horror attacks/marks. Their maximum number of candles could increase the chance of a random event happening, or just the chance of a random event being bad, say by 2% per candle. Or it could be a chance for an event completely seperate from luck events, to increase the chances of them happening.

I'm aware none of these will probably ever be implemented, they just seem like they could be a fun way to make life harder for R'lyeh
Old October 31st, 2008, 07:13 AM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

> Also, and probably too difficult to implement - it would likely help if normal "mortal" troop types simply stopped spawning altogether in any "barren" territories. Where are all of these Tritons coming from? No one lives there!

But people ARE living there, they just don't do anything except dream and sleep and stuff.

Reductions or removal of upkeep on dreamers is not an unthematic solution to the problem. Then they still starve and the economy as a whole will suffer some, but the dreamers do not demand anything for their services. They just dream after all.
Old October 31st, 2008, 07:25 AM

First Lieutenant

Edratman is on a distinguished road

KO,

Unusual time for you to be on the boards. No school today? Or do you transform into some sort of (more) hideous creature on Halloween?
Old October 31st, 2008, 07:29 AM

Major General

Gregstrom is on a distinguished road

I think it's actually KO's evil doppelganger posting. It only emerges on Samhain, and wreaks havok on dev schedules before disappearing for another year.

AFAIK KO only transforms on full moons - now if it were Halloween and a full moon there would be a really good reason to worry.
Old October 31st, 2008, 07:33 AM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

There is a november break in sweden this week. I was in Stockholm on some curriculum development (or whatever it is called) monday and tuesday, but I'm free now. I'll probably work some more on Jomon today, but I have some other matters to attend to as well.