.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old September 15th, 2007, 11:54 AM

First Lieutenant

jutetrea is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A new spectacular multi-layer map!! Wanna try?

So, just started trying this out. 9 player EA.

My opinions: Its almost too big for me SP as is, I'm more of a 180-220, 8-10 player guy.

I like how the mountains pop up into the clouds, didn't notice it initially and lost an expansion opportunity and gained an unwanted neighbor.

Should the bottom left cloud connect with the bottom right cloud?

Textures would definitely go a long way to improve the map, I like the shape a lot so far (stuck in the clouds as of now)

I'm always up for more specials, a few big provinces with difficult defenders but big rewards and a bunch of little intro pieces. I think I'll be randomizing this one in the future.

If you use specials as guards, just give the fixed AI enough room to expand rapidly before running into them, otherwise they'll just throw dumb armies and waste them instead of bulking up.
Old September 15th, 2007, 03:12 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

yeah that is my intention the one fixed AI would get the top could layer (nostart all of it)

and the other one would probably start in one of the small ones below but with quite some no start around maybe even the whole bigger layer below.

What I would like is an option to let players know the "background" of the provinces. I mean all those nicely thought out province in the province editor are nice but will you really understand what they mean if you are playing or just bash them and notice a nice reward?

If I put a guardian somewhere I'd like to tell him what he'd guarding and why, and wether he's a noble warrior or an EVIL bastard
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old September 18th, 2007, 10:36 PM

Yerevans

really like this one, the forced passages have a great strategy value, but now that i have a 3 year game i found the land/sea bug, i got the first version...well going to download the last one
Old September 19th, 2007, 04:30 PM

Lieutenant General

There is a new version coming up with a bit better graphics (use of patterns) but I have to redo the whole landtyping and neighbouring (somehow I lost THE crucial XCF file and the dile I needed to change I only had without layers..) I'll do that but not this week (VERY important job interview coming up.. my chances are not very high but I have to put al effort into preparing for it) after that I'll do it I'll add guardians etc etc

Thanks for the reply though, nice to know people like it.
I actually can't force myself to play it as of yet.. I have all htese plans and playing it without them.. I can't get myself to do it .. but thanks for testing

so the overall LAYOUT fo the map is acceptable..
ratio water land is good?
not to open?
not to much bottle necks etc?

PS jutetreae I meant all races of ONE age.. I just meant MORE provinces so you could fit 20 players on the map
Old October 11th, 2008, 12:04 AM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A new spectacular multi-layer map!! Wanna try??

Hey Aezeal

Great Map - however territory 191... which looks like a mountain, has tritons...

Chris
Old October 13th, 2008, 11:43 AM

Lieutenant General

Default Re: A new spectacular multi-layer map!! Wanna try??

hmmm thanks for the information if I do an update I'll adjust that