.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old April 19th, 2008, 06:24 PM

Sergeant

Saulot is on a distinguished road
Default Re: magic modding question

1. No. (Even if there was, how would you prevent someone from casting it in every province? heh.)

2. This seems doable at first, but as far as I know, all capitals come with all their sites revealed.
Old April 19th, 2008, 06:40 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

on 1. Saulot (even though it's not possible) I'd want it to be unique.
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old April 21st, 2008, 02:52 AM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

You can research holy spells - example... quickroots.

Or you could give them a negative path or research bonus... making casting or research harder.
Old April 21st, 2008, 08:42 AM

BANNED USER

Edratman2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Aezeal said:
I've got 2 new options

1. would it be possible to make a spell that creates a magicsite (a magic site that would normally be your cap-only magic site), which produces your cap only units? That would really be a reason to take the pretender that has the ability to cast that spell.

2. Or (on the same thingie) not as spell but to have a cap only magic site (the one which will create your important units) that doesn't show up to start with but that could only be found by a holy 6 mage/priest (which would be what your pretender has to do on his first turn?)

I've been trying to figure out some way to do something along the same lines. The best concept (never been tried yet) that I've been able to come up with is to make a spell that summons a zero MP unit (I'm thinking of calling it an altar). This unit would then have the ability to summon the secondary unit that I am really interested in recruiting (sic) away from my capital.

Probably not a balanced concept. But I plan to get around to trying it on my upcoming flight to Hawaii. (Eat your hearts out. I've got inside info that the climate in Hawaii is slightly better than that of Sweden.)
Old April 21st, 2008, 09:18 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

That has been tried before in a couple of mods and works. 0 mapmove unit that you can summon which can then summon other units via domsummon, summon allies command, autosummon or by spells only it can cast.

The code for my Dogs of War mod includes a H6 unit who can summon unique commanders who then summon their individual troops. Paymaster - Captain - Troops. No gems involved, only high goldcosts to create upkeep.
Old April 21st, 2008, 11:09 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre, that's cool. I figured that a more accomplished modder would have tried the concept.

I searched for the Dogs of War mod without success.

Could you provide a link to it? Thank you.
Old April 21st, 2008, 11:31 AM

BANNED USER

You can't find it because I haven't released it. It's like the Empire mod, it's got plenty of code written and quite a few graphics, but it just isn't at the stage I can even beta release it.

Don't know when I'll finish it.
Old April 21st, 2008, 12:57 PM

BANNED USER

OK. Thank you. Your confirmation that the concept is viable is more than enough to make me happy. New spells are fairly easy to write. The trick with doing it well is going to be balancing it.

My thoughts were to make it so it could only be cast by the highest mage, but Azeal's concept of a using a pretender appears to be much better. I am musing about the concept of having to choose between 2 or 3 pretenders that can summon this "altar" with a path/holy combination that is unobtainable any other way, and have this combination cost such that a double 9 bless is out of the question unless you go -3 on everything. Probably will not be a popular idea and would probably favor the nations with free temperature points.

Just my thoughts.
Old April 21st, 2008, 05:30 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

I still want most of the dwarves to be recruited in the normal fashion though and I'm pretty much against free summons that are powerfull since I think balance will be very hard end game.

It would've been great if it could be possible to have the need to unlock (search for) a site with a certain pretender to be able to use your powerfull units. Can it really not be done?

Or can it not be done to start without a temple.. without a starting temple you definately can never get your priest units reliably if you don't take a pretender with holy skills (and they don't exist except for the ones I'll be creating.)

Or just leave out the starting castle itself and raise a unique castle (can you have unique castles?) it with a cheap 1 E gem spell.
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old April 21st, 2008, 06:20 PM

BANNED USER

None of that can be done.

I suggest you give the mod manual a read to get an idea of what's possible, or you'll just be wasting your time brainstorming.