.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old December 29th, 2008, 09:58 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Reign of the Vampiri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
Too powerful? When we have experts that feel they can beat anything?
I'm guessing they aren't referring to their power as a SP AI opponent.
Old December 30th, 2008, 12:01 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Yeah I figured that.
Doesnt mean that cranking them up as "too powerful for balanced play" wont turn them into better AI opponents.

OR we could always ask one of the IRC people to play the nation as a better AI.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old December 30th, 2008, 04:45 AM

Captain

Amos is on a distinguished road

I can turn a unit into a "true" immortal with only two commands that have nothing to do with immortality. But what would be the point? An unbeatable unit is no fun.

P.S. I'm working on a new mod now where all of the commanders are unique - which makes them kind of immortal.
Old December 30th, 2008, 09:18 PM

First Lieutenant

Loren is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos View Post
I can turn a unit into a "true" immortal with only two commands that have nothing to do with immortality. But what would be the point? An unbeatable unit is no fun.

P.S. I'm working on a new mod now where all of the commanders are unique - which makes them kind of immortal.
Actually, I could see a scenario type situation where fighting a race of totally immortal (in the Dominions sense--if you die you reappear in the capital) units.

Final victory would only be by dominion kill. The struggle would be to push your dominion on them.
Old December 31st, 2008, 02:32 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

Hey Gandalf, about that idea you have...

Is it possible to enter a NEW nation during MP and give it troops?

I'd love to have a pre set (and known by all players) special province on a dom 3 (K) map which they can just conquer and get an above average income (high pop) and gems (say 6) income from but where a very very strong race could spawn which would then be a focus for all players to destroy (I'd put it in the middle of the map and all players somewhat around it)

I don't think it can be done but if there are idea's I'd love it.

All map commands won't work I guess so placing them that way won't work (since if I got it correct the map is read at start of the game and then forgotten)
And I don't know a way to enter new nations through mod commands.
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old December 31st, 2008, 02:58 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

To avoid hijacking this thread I will answer a short "Yes"
then answer further in one of my threads.
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...175#post655175

EDIT: sorry I switched to this one which might be more appropriate
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...939#post613939
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)

Last edited by Gandalf Parker; December 31st, 2008 at 03:08 PM..
Old December 31st, 2008, 09:59 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

Quote:
OR we could always ask one of the IRC people to play the nation as a better AI.
What does that even mean? You've never been in the irc channel so what would you even know about "irc people"?
Old January 1st, 2009, 12:04 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Of course I have. And I know that some of the most expert players hang out there. Im thinking some might feel that a higher level game would be available to them if they play the "Sauron" to the entire massed armies of "Middle Earth", so to speak. One expert vs all comers?

Or better yet maybe the entire IRC channel could share the planning and strategy in-channel as a channel project. Anything that might make an alliance of players more than just an option. Make it a necessity.

It was just a suggestion.

Last edited by Gandalf Parker; January 1st, 2009 at 12:07 AM..
Old January 1st, 2009, 09:52 AM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Or better yet maybe the entire IRC channel could share the planning and strategy in-channel as a channel project. Anything that might make an alliance of players more than just an option. Make it a necessity.

It was just a suggestion.
I know that the IRC channel seems to be a pet peeve of yours for some reason, but honestly trying to get it to make a combined effort for doing something is highly improbable. Metaphorically speaking, it's like raising a litter of kittens, at best. The idea that there's some body that can be motivated to act together apart from independent actions is pretty alien to reality. I think that not long ago you wrote that the IRC channel suffers from lack of activity and "zombies", too, so it's surprising that said zombies should suddenly develop high activity for something?

Trying to get "the IRC people" to do something, just by coming up with some random idea and then telling the monkey to carry through with it seems a little feeble, too. To throw the ball back, "they" might ask you to carry through with your random proposals and see through that they are viable and being realized yourself... like Sombre occasionally tends to do for the usual suspects that post their brainfarts here and then leave it up to others to pick up the pieces and actually do something with them.

Emergency comic relief
Old January 1st, 2009, 12:51 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

lets get back to the vampires and if this needs to be continued do it in Gandalfs thread.

I'm trying to find an excuse for vampires in space.. but it's hard (space helmets would be terribly annoying for biting someone in the neck.. both for the vampire as the attackee) .. so I'm dropping it... for now
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.