The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Shrapnel General

Old November 12th, 2009, 04:01 AM

Sergeant

runequester is on a distinguished road
Default Shrapnel titles that will run under Linux (wine) ?

I know Dominion 3 will work natively on linux, and I have had great success running WinSPWW2 and MBT under wine.

Anyone have experience with other Shrapnel titles? I am very eager for some good, hardcore strategy games, but I don't want to invest until I know there's a decent chance it will work under wine.

I am on ubuntu 9.10 if that makes any difference.
Old November 12th, 2009, 10:43 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Shrapnel titles that will run under Linux (wine) ?

Definitely look at Dominions 3.
Its developed on Ubuntu, then ported to Windows and Mac. In fact, many of its best features kindof fall to the side because of that. It has pages of switches but most of the win/mac players dont use them. And they complain about things like "lack of backups" which doesnt really make sense since the game saves each turn as a separate file. Without a menu of options some people are lost.

The CD comes with all 3 versions (linux, windows, mac) and you can multi install it which is great for people like me who prefer Windows for desktop and Linux for server mode (running multiplayer games). The switches also scream of easy web interfacing.

As for strategy its one of the best games Ive ever found. There are many people who have played it for years and are still debating strategies and tactics. SO much better than many of the games nowadays that are out for maybe a month before some total killer strategy is posted to the forums killing the game. I still love playing the game in vanilla mode and solo games but with modding and multiplayer mode I dont see the game getting deleted from my machine for another 5 or 6 years.

Oh its a Mythology/Fantasy war game which is different than you seem to have been playing. But one of the developers is a teacher of historical mythos. There is lots of very detailed attention to the balance of ancient weapons and tactics.

Here are some sites
http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Illwint...DOM3_page.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominions3
http://www.dom3minions.com/aboutDom3.htm

Gandalf Parker
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old November 13th, 2009, 02:18 PM

Second Lieutenant

S.R. Krol is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Shrapnel titles that will run under Linux (wine) ?

You may just want to download the demos and see if they run, as there shouldn't be anything in the full title that would cause a problem if the demo works.