Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old December 31st, 2011, 04:52 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: M734 Multi-Option Fuze

Well thanks to FASTBOAT TOUGH (a.k.a. Pat) we now can pretty much pinpoint the "who" and to a good extent the "when".

Thus we're left with the primary questions "how much" (to increase HE Kill) and "is it worthwhile" ?

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old January 1st, 2012, 04:19 AM

Captain

Marcello is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
Well thanks to FASTBOAT TOUGH (a.k.a. Pat) we now can pretty much pinpoint the "who" and to a good extent the "when".

Thus we're left with the primary questions "how much" (to increase HE Kill) and "is it worthwhile" ?
I ran into this same problem a few years ago and as far I can tell there is no easy answer. Some detailed analysis can be found in a report titled "Iraq: Proximity Fuses found on 107mm Rockets" that made into the headlines a few years ago and might still be floating around in some recess of the net.
Lethality is going from a moderate double digit percentage increase up to a fifty fold increment. This variability is dependent on target disposition and tends to be inversely proportional to effect of contact fuzed artillery: the greatest gains are seen when measures to shelter against conventional rounds are taken, such as laying to the ground, sheltering behind vertical cover etc. Which is not to say that you want to stand in the open when a barrage strike, but taking cover without overhead protection will be much less effective.

Last edited by Marcello; January 1st, 2012 at 04:36 AM..
Old January 1st, 2012, 12:38 PM

Lieutenant General

WinSPMBT already reduces the effectiveness of artillery when the target is in cover so I think that should "come out in the wash" (note I said SHOULD).

So for the most part we're looking at troops in the open where VT is incredibly more effective.

My suggestion of a 25% increase was (I think) a compromise.
In the open the stuff is about 50% more lethal from what I read, but that would be "to much" when dealing with targets in cover.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old January 1st, 2012, 04:37 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: M734 Multi-Option Fuze

Alright first the disclaimer; I like arty as demonstrated in IMP's (Johns) thread on the topic where I hopefully showed with the military documents I submitted arty in the game is not quite there but, I feel effective enough to counter the argument it was too effective in the game. Not going to rehash that again go back and read it for yourselves. But I bring it up to say there might be useful info in the thread for this topic and an earlier thread of the same topic that proceeded IMP'S by about three years as I recall. I know the field manuals I submitted got into the effectiveness of arty on various target protected and unprotected positions. The results are deadly, but see for yourself it's all there. Field Manuals (FM) ARE CALLED THAT FOR A REASON, they represent the results of extensive testing involving hundreds to thousands of rounds expended and results on post battle investigative analysis for any country. Those posts included conventional round comparisons as well another reason I brought this up. To the topic fuze of this thread this is from the people that make it happen, it is in PDF format, I invite you to look it all over but pgs. 3-6 & 11 are the most relevant:
http://proceedings.ndia.org/5560/Wed...II-B/Mohan.pdf

Gotta call Mom to wish her a Happy New Years, we sailors always have a soft spot for "Mum".

Regards,
Pat

From that CM thread; Of note look to tables C2 and C3, for more detail like I did then just read it. Note the coverage areas in meters on table C3. SOMETIMES SOMETHING "OLD" CAN BE SOMETHING "NEW" AS HAS BEEN POINTED OUT BY A COUPLE OF OTHERS IN THE PAST. Oh yes this is from USA FM 6-40 Appendix C. Second thought see all tables in article are targets used for testing.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita.../6-40/Appc.htm

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; January 1st, 2012 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: I'm in a good mood today!
Old January 1st, 2012, 05:36 PM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTBOAT TOUGH View Post
From that CM thread; Of note look to tables C2 and C3, for more detail like I did then just read it. Note the coverage areas in meters on table C3. SOMETIMES SOMETHING "OLD" CAN BE SOMETHING "NEW" AS HAS BEEN POINTED OUT BY A COUPLE OF OTHERS IN THE PAST. Oh yes this is from USA FM 6-40 Appendix C. Second thought see all tables in article are targets used for testing.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita.../6-40/Appc.htm
Table C-4 was very informative as well.

Old January 1st, 2012, 08:13 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: M734 Multi-Option Fuze

Noticed that 50 meter radius I see, was surprised to see how the 105mm performed, but then if you really want to hurt someone badly a .22 cal will do the job just as well as anything by comparison as well. I still like my 155mm arty though.

Regards,
Pat