.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old March 22nd, 2012, 06:49 PM

Major General

Valerius is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Conceptual Balance Mod v1.92

This comment is based on bbz's post in the main forum.

Sidhe Lords in EA and MA are different units and in MA they have the same golden lance that Ri/Tuatha use and to which false fetters was added. I'm not sure if recruit everywhere units having this weapon was intended?

In any case, I think it would be good to remove the AOE 1 and make the effect be on hit as was done with the vine whip. I'm just not a big fan of things that autohit - the opponent should have a chance to avoid it.

In the above thread bbz also wondered about the price of sidhe warriors. I use them for thematic reasons but they aren't really worth 35 gold. You could safely price them at 30 but really I'd just go with 25 since they're cap only.

In the same thread Shangrila00 also mentioned making the hoof attack on the mounted commanders the warhorse hoof attack, which I think is also a nice idea.
The Following User Says Thank You to Valerius For This Useful Post:
Old March 24th, 2012, 09:18 PM

Sergeant

Nightfall is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shangrila00 View Post
As it is, CBM growth only breaks even with vanilla growth on turn 20.
Not sure what your talking about, since vanilla growth is 2%/.2%, CBM growth is flat out superior at the moment.

Adjusting growth from it's current point gives you a range of options, depending on what you want to achieve, for example.

Drop to 1%/.3%, income inferior to current CBM breaks even with vanilla growth around turn 23.
Change to 0%/.35%, income breaks even with vanilla around turn 29 and current CBM about turn 73.
Change to 0%/.4%, income breaks even with vanilla around turn 23 and current CBM about turn 40.

I also think the current production/sloth needs to be toned down to +-3% income, sloth is almost unpickable at the moment.
Old March 24th, 2012, 11:19 PM

Corporal

Shangrila00 is on a distinguished road

My mistake. Too used to the older and less controversial CBMs. Certainly, if the latest CBM supposedly makes scales too good, while earlier ones didn't, it needs to be compared with earlier CBMs.

And no, I still disagree. Production should not be a dump stat, and neither should growth, which is the whole point of the CBM changes in the first place. Having resource cheap, yet effective units is an advantage, but it should not be worth hundreds of points, and neither should having good, non-old mages. Some nations, Mictlan, Ry'leh, etc still pick sloth 3 and are not even close to being underpowered. For other nations to have to think before choosing sloth is a good thing. I mean, really? Sloth is unpickable? I guess nobody ever picked a temperature preference other than their prefered, since that's so much worse?
Old March 25th, 2012, 01:55 AM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Yeah, temperature hurts, but it's still the first thing I dump... sloth is hardly unpickable now, it's still easier to take than losing order is in many cases. You just are going to think hard before going sloth 3 now. Having to think is the entire point.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old March 25th, 2012, 02:25 AM

Sergeant

Quote:
Sloth is unpickable? I guess nobody ever picked a temperature preference other than their prefered, since that's so much worse?
And your wrong again, because of the way summer and winter work, a 0 preference nation that takes temperature 0 still loses between 1.5% and 3% average income per turn; higher dominion scores lose less.

Again, due to summer and winter, a 0 preference nation _actually_ loses between 12% and 13.5% average income per turn when they pick Heat or Cold 3; higher dominion scores lose more.

This makes the real income loss suffered between 9% and 12% for taking a temperature scale at 3.

So, in all cases other than dom 10, which is about equal, in the current CBM, picking sloth 3 is a worse hit to your income than taking a temperature 3 pick.

So yes, sloth is almost unpickable in CBM at the moment, and this is seriously hurting the low resource nations, since they still have to deal with the down side of being low resource, no decent armoured troops.

Last edited by Nightfall; March 25th, 2012 at 02:38 AM..
Old March 25th, 2012, 02:53 AM

Major General

Valerius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonj View Post
Yeah, temperature hurts, but it's still the first thing I dump... sloth is hardly unpickable now, it's still easier to take than losing order is in many cases. You just are going to think hard before going sloth 3 now. Having to think is the entire point.
As per kianduatha's point earlier I think it may be more of an issue in the opposite direction - turmoil/production/luck to get the benefits of luck but also have prod offset most of the income hit form turmoil (and the bonus to resources is nice because you can ramp up your forces quickly when needed). Kianduatha also mentioned growth in that comment, but I think even without growth this should work out favorably.

It's not really a big deal to me and the changes have certainly altered my approach to designing pretenders but it would be worth assessing the effects. My gut instinct is that it might be best to have a three point difference between prod and order (whether it's 4 and 7 or 3 and 6).

Quote:
And no, I still disagree. Production should not be a dump stat, and neither should growth, which is the whole point of the CBM changes in the first place. Having resource cheap, yet effective units is an advantage, but it should not be worth hundreds of points, and neither should having good, non-old mages. Some nations, Mictlan, Ry'leh, etc still pick sloth 3 and are not even close to being underpowered.
Well neither is Niefel and they get 120 free points from cold 3.
Old March 25th, 2012, 04:44 AM

Sergeant

I know this one's going to cause a rukus.

It's becoming more and more obvious to me that the biggest problem with making dwarven hammers unique is that the first person to research construction 8 gets both unique hammers and a much bigger advantage than in vanilla; where it was already a huge advantage.

Is it possible to move the Hammer of the Forge Lord to construction 10?

That way, as I understand it, it could be wished for but not forged.
Old March 25th, 2012, 08:05 AM

Colonel

Soyweiser is on a distinguished road

Nightfall,

yeah, every nation has access to the paths for the hammer of the forge lords. And getting 50%/25% reduction on two items each turn isn't that great. (Sure it helps getting the artifacts).

There is already a wishable only hammer:
http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki/Hammer_of_the_Cyclops
http://wolfsbane.alwaysdata.net/Spells.html
Test stuff, use the debug mod:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453
Old March 25th, 2012, 01:24 PM

Corporal

Shangrila00 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfall View Post
And your wrong again, because of the way summer and winter work, a 0 preference nation that takes temperature 0 still loses between 1.5% and 3% average income per turn; higher dominion scores lose less.

Again, due to summer and winter, a 0 preference nation _actually_ loses between 12% and 13.5% average income per turn when they pick Heat or Cold 3; higher dominion scores lose more.

This makes the real income loss suffered between 9% and 12% for taking a temperature scale at 3.

So, in all cases other than dom 10, which is about equal, in the current CBM, picking sloth 3 is a worse hit to your income than taking a temperature 3 pick.

So yes, sloth is almost unpickable in CBM at the moment, and this is seriously hurting the low resource nations, since they still have to deal with the down side of being low resource, no decent armoured troops.
So I guess people never, ever take non-prefered, and nonextreme temp scales, right? Even extreme temp with its corresponding encumbrance issue is so close as to be no difference, yet somehow you think it's a crushing argument for sloth being unpickable, despite temp being picked all the time.

And I'm sorry, you don't get to turn an advantage on its head like that. Having decent low resource troops is an advantage. Some of them also have decent armored troops, which they can choose not to use to maximize that advantage. Again, needing to think before deciding is a good thing. Mictlan doesn't need to think, since its armored troops are crap. I'm trying to see the downside there, but it's just not hitting me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerius View Post
As per kianduatha's point earlier I think it may be more of an issue in the opposite direction - turmoil/production/luck to get the benefits of luck but also have prod offset most of the income hit form turmoil (and the bonus to resources is nice because you can ramp up your forces quickly when needed). Kianduatha also mentioned growth in that comment, but I think even without growth this should work out favorably.
It doesn't, unless you 1)take a very high dom, and 2) don't take turmoil beyond 1. Unlike Order which gain you most of its benefits just on your cap, luck only works out if it's everywhere, besides the chance at heros. And you can't offset more than turmoil 1 with production because of all the awful poploss events opened up by turmoil 2. Unless you can fortuneteller all your high pop provinces at low cost, which would be a national advantage.

High turmoil is a still a viable build of course, more so than it was before, for nations with low gold requirements, but there's no sense in pretending it's viable with the boosted production for gold hungry nations. Certainly, Pan still has to think long and hard before taking turmoil.

Last edited by Shangrila00; March 25th, 2012 at 01:32 PM..
Old March 25th, 2012, 01:41 PM

Second Lieutenant

kianduatha is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfall View Post
This is very nice feedback, but it seems rather abstract. Could you tell us which nations in specific you are thinking of?