.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 29th, 2009, 12:04 PM

Corporal

Yskonyn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Introduce yourself!! :-)

Hello fellow 'Dominators', or should I say 'Dominioners'...

Anyway here I am, 28 years of age, coming from the Netherlands, Europe. Same as Flop above me, I tried the demo several times before in the last couple of years and eventhough it kept me coming back to check it out I somehow never really had the time, or wanted to commit the time to learn the game properly.

Still, like I said, the game attracts me and finally I have decided to order it.

So I am waiting for my delivery with only the demo to play with for now, but I am sure that will do for your first game anyway!

I would like to get involved into multiplayer games and one idea I've been playing around with is to setup a game where commited players will also commit to keeping a blog of their progression. This can be in fanfiction form, or just summing up their plans and the status of those plans per turn.
After the game has finished, or maybe even at a pre determined spot during the game, all blogs, AARs and whatnot are posted in a dedicated thread so that people can read exactly how the others were faring during specific points in the game.
Just for laughs and of course, to learn!

No matter how good or bad my ideas are. First I need to learn the game and -even more important- get it delivered.
Old October 30th, 2009, 04:00 AM

Corporal

happygeek is on a distinguished road

Ysk! Heheh, looks like you came on over from Star Chamber, n'est ce pas? Nice to see you here sir! I'd like to play a game of SC with you again when you get the chance
Old October 30th, 2009, 04:50 AM

Corporal

Yskonyn is on a distinguished road

Hey! You're correct! How have you been? It's been a while since I've shown my face over at SC, but that's another gem of a game I really like to sink more time into. If only I had the time to do it all!...
Old October 30th, 2009, 06:58 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yskonyn View Post
Hello fellow 'Dominators', or should I say 'Dominioners'...
Personally I like Dom Minions.

Gandalf Parker
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old November 2nd, 2009, 02:22 PM

Private

qui is on a distinguished road

Greetings. I'm new around here. Just found out Dominions, played the demo, lurked around a bit and decided to order the game. First game in a long time to interest me enough to buy it. Hopefully it will arrive soon and I'll be able to join some sort of newbie-friendly MP game, because from the looks of it MP seems to be way more interesting. Meanwhile, I'm devouring the wiki and different guides so that I don't get slaughtered immediately when I'll finally be able to play.

Unimportant details: male, 24, Poland, if anyone cares :P.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 03:10 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

An easy way to get into MP is to fill in for a player that has to drop a game. ANY player is appreciated more than having to turn that nation over to the stupid AI. And if you lose, you have a ready excuse since it wasnt your choice of nation or your god-build. Low expectations on your play, kudos if you win, ready excuse if you lose. Its all good any way it goes.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old November 2nd, 2009, 09:22 PM

Private

qui is on a distinguished road

If a random newbie is likely better than the AI it must mean it's not too good ;). So if I can't do wrong by being a substitute, it might be a good training. Thanks for the tip.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 11:11 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Actually the AI is very good compared to most games. But hey, some of us have been playing this game for years. We have the AI so well figured out that even a bad human player can be a good change. In fact, a great one. An action that we totally didnt expect because no experienced player would ever do that can be a deadly surprise.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 03:40 AM

BANNED USER

Trumanator is on a distinguished road

I beg to disagree. The only time the AI is ever dangerous is at the very beginning. Presumably, if you're subbing its past that stage, at which point it is one of the worst AIs in gaming.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 07:21 AM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Eh, it can be pretty hard to beat the AI as a new player, just because they build such large numbers of units. It just that in dominions, once you know how it's very easy to kill large numbers of units. I wouldn't say that any random newbie is going to do better than the AI, but they'll at least attack the correct player, and yeah, you just might learn something from playing.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP